Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

I don't see us calling up anyone uncapped for this one, not unless there's some injury crisis or (please god no) covid outbreak. 

For the nations league he might bring in Gauld to see how he does, or maybe Hickey for the same reason, but these games I'm sure we'll see largely the same squad we saw for the last double header.

Not seen you posting in here for ages M77. Welcome back.

Only issue, barring any injuries or Covid issues as mentioned, seems to be RWB.

Neither O’Donnell or Patterson are getting minutes atm. Likelihood is it will still probably be those two in the squad but it’s the only area I can see any ‘wildcard’ coming in. 

22 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Only issue, barring any injuries or Covid issues as mentioned, seems to be RWB.

Neither O’Donnell or Patterson are getting minutes atm. Likelihood is it will still probably be those two in the squad but it’s the only area I can see any ‘wildcard’ coming in. 

Opening the door for Tavernier to finally get capped 😇.

28 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Can he be capped?? I've never read he had any eligibility, if he can get him in. But surely it would have been discussed already.

I'm going to guess this is a sarcastic response to The Rangers fans demanding he should be called up.

They have a tendency to believe that any problem should be fixed by calling up one of their players.

If forced to pick a squad of 24 right now, I'd go:

Goalkeepers

• Gordon
  • Kelly 
  • Marshall

Defenders

• Patterson
  • O'Donnell
  • Hendry 
  • McTominay
  • Souttar
  • Hanley
  • Tierney 
  • McKenna
  • Robertson 
  • Hickey

Midfielders

• Gilmour 
  • Jack
  • McGregor
  • McLean
  • McGinn
  • Armstrong

Forwards

• Adams
  • Brown
  • Dykes
  • Christie
  • Nisbet

Problems:

GK - Not a massive problem, just some question marks over the backups. I went with Marshall as he has (and in all likelihood will have) played more than McLaughlin lately.

RWB - I didn't realise O'Donnell isn't playing either so we're a bit stuck there. Ramsay apparently hasn't been great recently too, however Hickey has played RWB in Bologna's last couple of games... I wouldn't do it but I wonder if Clarke might call him up just in case. If Fraser is selected then he's another option. 

FWDs - I've been massively lazy and just stuck with the November options. No one's done anything to force a call-up so just stick with it. If Clarke sticks with the 3-4-3 then Nisbet could be dropped to free up a space for another position. Maybe someone who can cover a couple of positions. 

I agree, don't see many changes at all from the last squad (barring injuries etc). RWB must be a concern though in terms of lack of minutes to Paterson & SODs. There must be some temptation to draft in Hickey. Plenty thought for Clarke in the starting X1 aswell. The McTominay dilemma and also Jack looking very good since his return. Either way I am absolutely buzzing for this!! 

For all the talk of Clark liking a settled squad he's done a superb job of slowly bringing more players in to the selection pool like Brown, Souttar and Ralston.

Doubt there will be many surprises but we may certainly see a few more disappointed players than previously as Clark now has that bigger pool to draw from.

RCB is interesting. Hendry might be first choice as he's started there at every opportunity since the Euros IIRC (Hanley's suspension v Israel meant he couldn't), but Souttar was excellent v Denmark and McTominay brings so much on the ball. I reckon it's probably between Hendry and McTominay but if the former isn't playing then that might force Clarke's hand.

Ryan Jack for Lewis Ferguson and possibly Arron Hickey for Stephen O Donnell now he is playing right back for his club,other than that can see if being the same squad unless something mental happens and someone like Karlan Grant lifts the phone and says that he wants to play for us and he would probably go in for Ryan Nisbet 

Right now we got good players on the fringes

Guald 

Henderson 

Campbell 

Hickey 

Ramsay edited for sure

All those guys will eventually get capped but out of them just now can only see one new guy getting the shout

And I think it's going to be Hickey 

Big Stewart banging them in for Sunderland but it's only league one,hopefully he gets a move in summer to Swansea or who ever was scouting him

Stewart would be totally left field but stranger things have happened he is on form anyway

Edited by General dissaray

1 hour ago, Scumjob said:

For all the talk of Clark liking a settled squad he's done a superb job of slowly bringing more players in to the selection pool like Brown, Souttar and Ralston.

Doubt there will be many surprises but we may certainly see a few more disappointed players than previously as Clark now has that bigger pool to draw from.

Likes a settled squad think the nations league games though he will start looking at new players maybe some of the ones that I mentioned above,maybe could even have young Ramsay on that list to at Aberdeen 

4 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Can he be capped?? I've never read he had any eligibility, if he can get him in. But surely it would have been discussed already.

😆 Nah mate I was joking. Every year the tabs run a story urging Tavernier to get capped "based on residency" (ignoring the fact we don't use those criteria) and i always have a wee heids gone.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

RCB is interesting. Hendry might be first choice as he's started there at every opportunity since the Euros IIRC (Hanley's suspension v Israel meant he couldn't), but Souttar was excellent v Denmark and McTominay brings so much on the ball. I reckon it's probably between Hendry and McTominay but if the former isn't playing then that might force Clarke's hand.

Scott McTominay was injured when Jack Hendry was nailing down his place post Euros in both the September and November camps and Jack Hendry has struggled to get back into the Club Bruges starting 11 following a period that saw him earn himself two red cards in 3 games at the end of January. He has been on the bench in their last three games, not playing a single minute. 

There is some uncertainty around this squad for me. Our left hand side seems to lack strength in depth which I've already discussed.

The good news is that generally our key players are all healthy and playing regularly, but there are doubts around the following squad mainstays due to lack of minutes, form or injury:

• Jack Hendry
  • Liam Cooper
  • Nathan Patterson
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Ryan Christie
  • David Turnbull
  • Kevin Nisbet
  • Lyndon Dykes.

Add to that the issue around Ryan Fraser and things are far from certain with 3 weeks before the next squad announcement. I know I've been banging on about Ryan Fraser, but he is very versatile which is handy is a short handed 24 man squad, in 2021 he has played at RWB, LAM, CAM and Striker.

Edited by 2426255

Scott McTominay was injured when Jack Hendry was nailing down his place post Euros in both the September and November camps and Jack Hendry has struggled to get back into the Club Bruges starting 11 following a period that saw him earn himself two red cards in 3 games at the end of January. He has been on the bench in their last three games, not playing a single minute. 
Shit, I forgot he missed them which literally disregards everything I said, although I suppose Hendry started at RCB the only time Hanley, Hendry and McTominay were all available post-Euros (v Faroes).

Let's just pretend this never happened.

2 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Ryan Jack for Lewis Ferguson and possibly Arron Hickey for Stephen O Donnell now he is playing right back for his club,other than that can see if being the same squad unless something mental happens and someone like Karlan Grant lifts the phone and says that he wants to play for us and he would probably go in for Ryan Nisbet 

Who does Ryan Nisbet play for?