Scotland squad face March 2022

Craigieboy86

For the right back position Chris Cadden has been playing well regularly at RWB and is already capped so he might not be the worst shot if we need someone who’s getting game time.

Obviously there is the Ramsey/Hickey debate too and both of them are definitely better players but we know that Clarke does like his experience in the squad.

Hickey should have been in the squad ages ago. Now were in a bit of a pickle with patterson not getting any game time at Everton. The move would be bringing in hickey and playing him at right wing back (which despite all the disbelief on here, hes shown he can do easily).

Hes done excellent in Italy and how hes been missing out for so long is just bizarre.

If we bring O'donnell back in and start with him its got the makings of a disaster.

Just now, Gordopolis said:
9 hours ago, Donathan said:
Given that we seem to have an abundance of decent back-three options and are a bit short at RWB, how about moving Tierney out to LWB and Robertson over to the right like we did in Denmark? 

Because it was disastrous in Denmark?

Yeah Robertson didn't look comfortable at all, if we were going to try that again it would have to be Tierney on the right.

Hickey has played twice for Bologna at RWB this season. The first time he and the team played poorly and lost. The second time they were losing again and he was switched back across to LWB at HT.

So as usual the reason he hasn't been in the squad is that he isn't as good as the two players who play the position he actually plays. Once you factor in his very obvious lack of commitment to the national team, it's no great surprise he hasn't been involved.

Edited by craigkillie

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Once you factor in his very obvious lack of commitment to the national team, it's no great surprise he hasn't been involved.

On the one hand people will say Ryan Fraser should be nowhere near the squad for demonstrating a lack of commitment, but on the other hand overlook the fact Aaron Hickey has repeatedly put his club before his country and then not see the contradiction. 😁

Edited by 2426255

Mihajlovic has obviously assessed the situation. He sees him everyday in training and trusts him to play right wing back.

He was one of the best full backs in the world himself when he played there. So im going to trust his judgement.

Also Tierney has been playing left centre back for us. So there is certainly space for him. And there has been opportunities for hickey to be in the squad. Which he obviously should have been already.

Edited by BingMcCrosby

20 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Also Tierney has been playing left centre back for us. So there is certainly space for him. And their has been opportunities for hickey to be in the squad.

I think it's easier for us to cover LWB than LCB. We had Anthony Ralston playing LWB for the last five minutes at home to Denmark and so if it were me I'd be weighing up the pros and cons of calling on either Greg Taylor or Aaron Hickey as cover for these playoffs. Realistically, though - I think there is a case for either player and it's hardly worth arguing over. I mean we're just discussing potential squad players/backups. 🤷‍♂️

It's my personal opinion, but I think we are more likely to see Ryan Fraser at RWB than Aaron Hickey, Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney. 

Edited by 2426255

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well each to their own. Hopefully the management dont have this attitude tho.

Personally I think we should be making the squad and backup players as good as we possibly can.

I hope Greg Taylor gets called up, partly so I can see toys being thrown out of prams. 😁

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think it's easier for us to cover LWB than LCB. We had Anthony Ralston playing LWB for the last five minutes at home to Denmark and so if it were me I'd be weighing up the pros and cons of calling on either Greg Taylor or Aaron Hickey as cover for these playoffs. Realistically, though - I think there is a case for either player and it's hardly worth arguing over. I mean we're just discussing potential squad players/backups. 🤷‍♂️

It's my personal opinion, but I think we are more likely to see Ryan Fraser at RWB than Aaron Hickey, Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney. 

Do you mind the squad we're the two left backs got covid?Finding the balance and getting the squad right is essential with covid and injuries striking at any time

And we need the right bench to be making tactical substations that could infullence the game

I see Dembele moved to Bournemouth hopefully won't be long for him to play if he is doing well and getting games he is someone with pace to burn that could run.at tired defences and be or create the spark for a goal our way

12 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Do you mind the squad we're the two left backs got covid?Finding the balance and getting the squad right is essential with covid and injuries striking at any time

And we need the right bench to be making tactical substations that could infullence the game

I see Dembele moved to Bournemouth hopefully won't be long for him to play if he is doing well and getting games he is someone with pace to burn that could run.at tired defences and be or create the spark for a goal our way

I don't think the squad needs altered too much to be honest mate. We might need some cover on the left depending on injuries. I'm more for consistency and continuity rather than putting in the flavour of the month.

35 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I don't think the squad needs altered too much to be honest mate. We might need some cover on the left depending on injuries. I'm more for consistency and continuity rather than putting in the flavour of the month.

Dembele is hardly the flavour of the month he could been in a few squads already he is a good player and another one that I reckon will get capped maybe even in the nations league when the enevital call offs arise 

Edited by General dissaray

Assuming everyone is fit I think this squad of 22 players would be close to a minimum required for the squad to have good balance, positional cover within the general 352 (3412, 3421, 3142) and be consistent with previous squads. It would leave a couple of places for younger players (David Turnbull, Lewis Ferguson, Jacob Brown), additional cover (Ryan Jack, John Souttar, Greg Taylor, Kevin Nisbet) or bringing a new face to the group (Aaron Hickey).

image.thumb.png.fe1aa5c04c8453168fa2c01fe51271fe.png

The positional cover is based around where the players have played under Steve Clarke in 2021. I'm sure Stuart Armstrong or Ryan Fraser could be considered cover for the RAM position even though they haven't played it for Scotland recently. Of the guys above there are currently injuries/Illness affecting Craig Gordon, Scott McTominay, Liam Cooper, Ryan Fraser, Ryan Christie and Lyndon Dykes. 

The reserve goalkeeper and substitute striker slots are too unpredictable for me to settle on a name. If it were up to me I'd probably look to include an additional left wing back and another midfielder to make up the 24 players. 

Edited by 2426255