Food boxes

scottsdad

44 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

They're sneaky b*****ds though. I got a range of boxes then thought that I'd just buy the ingredients myself, but they always chuck a curveball ingredient in there like "Henderson's Relish", which I'm convinced they don't sell anywhere. 

This happened to me. There was an African style stew that was delicious, and went to make it myself but the main spice mix they had in the recipe isn’t available anywhere. Fuckers.

1 hour ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

They're sneaky b*****ds though. I got a range of boxes then thought that I'd just buy the ingredients myself, but they always chuck a curveball ingredient in there like "Henderson's Relish", which I'm convinced they don't sell anywhere. 

Morrison's stock Henderson's, I have  on shelf. It good stuff, nearest similar is Worcestershire sauce.

It better, tastier and gluten free and vegan. 

That not why I use it. It just better than Worcestershire.

I'm not; it just seems like a nice friendly method of bringing the concept of food rationing to a group who haven't experienced it until now.
I guess we can come back to this in a decade and see how it's panned out.

It's not really about food rationing, it's about reducing waste. You're usually getting the same amount of stuff for less money. I've used it for Bar Burrito a couple of times on the way back from football/nights out and you get a full size burrito for about half the price.

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Edit- too good to go does intrigue me tho,   but I do wonder when the deals become available,  presumably late at night?

The supermarket ones do tend to come up from 9pm onwards after they close so that's for collecting the next day. Coffee shops you usually get a half-hour window in the late afternoon before they close.

I'd say give it a try, anything that feeds you on the cheap while reducing wastage can't be bad. :)

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's not really about food rationing, it's about reducing waste. You're usually getting the same amount of stuff for less money. I've used it for Bar Burrito a couple of times on the way back from football/nights out and you get a full size burrito for about half the price.

No, I understand that, and I don't think there's anything particularly sinister behind these programs. But I've a feeling that normalising middle income earners asking for  scraps will be quite useful for future governments down the line, in the same way that it's now completely acceptable for people on low wages to require donations of food.

I use Simply Cook now and again, like last week when they sent me a £3 offer. It's not like these other ones where you get all the ingredients, instead it's three wee tubs (per meal) of spices, pastes or sauces that add tremendous flavour to your meals. They all take about 20 mins to make and are brilliant - my favourites being Bang Bang Chicken, Lamb Keema Matar, and Penne Alla Rustica

I know I sound like one of those bots that have just started an account to post dodgy links and I do apologise for that. But if you do want to try it out and get a FREE BOX (yes I'll get one too don't worry) then use my link here: simplycook.com/invite/QF3815. Enjoy.

Had a few Gousto's and pretty impressed but agree they work out expensive once discounts are finished. They did take the piss when Wife forgot to choose recipes one week and they automatically sent 4 meals which bore no resemblance to any recipes we had previously ordered and one included a fucking chicken sandwich. The protein sent does tend to be about half you would normally use and they bolster it up with vegetables which is fine in a stew type meal but pretty noticable otherwise.