Scott Brown retires

3 hours ago, Ulises de la Cruz said:

Scott Brown at Hibs was the box to box midfielder with fantastic pace and had great potential. Unfortunately he went to Glasgow and the rest is history, still had a good career becoming a Celtic legend but could have been so much better.

Still hates the hertz though.

He isn't though, is he?

It seems that way just now with recency bias and the fact that he stayed for years. But he doesn't come close to stacking up to actual Celtic 'legends'. In fact, it's offensive to the real deals to call him one, both for his playing achievements and his utter lack of gravitas.

It's a phrase that brings to mind the likes of Billy McNeill, Tommy Burns, Paul McStay, Henrik Larsson, Jimmy Johnstone etc. Suggesting Brown belongs among such company is ludicrous. For f**k's sake, he's not even a Chris Sutton, Paul Lambert or a John Hartson in the scheme of things.

Celtic have achieved absolutely nothing that they wouldn't have achieved without Scott Brown.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Can’t stand him. Horrible repugnant wee creature who got away with far too much on the pitch. That said, the small group of Hearts supporters who sang about his sister are amongst the lowest lowlifes in existence. 

A lot of utter nonsense in here regarding his ability. He was very clearly the best midfielder in the league for the best part of a decade and also had a very good Scotland career which was only slightly marred by the retirement and subsequent u-turn. The personal circumstances that led to him not moving away from Scotland are very well-documented and it's hugely unfair to use that against him.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A lot of utter nonsense in here regarding his ability. He was very clearly the best midfielder in the league for the best part of a decade and also had a very good Scotland career which was only slightly marred by the retirement and subsequent u-turn. The personal circumstances that led to him not moving away from Scotland are very well-documented and it's hugely unfair to use that against him.

Aye, I’m not minded to laud him with praise but similarly think a lot of peoples opinions on him as a player are driven by emotion.

I'm fairly ambivalent about him. He was a decent player when he was younger. His style of play was always one that would win over his own team's fans.

However, his fake hardman routine grated fairly quickly and it became apparent pretty early on that it was all an act to win over the gullible Celtic masses.

His legacy, in my mind, will always be one of the pantomime villain and WUM.

He won a shit load of medals and made a shit load of cash doing it. Fair fucks to him for that.

One of those chunts that got under your skin, but would have taken him in St Mirren’s midfield in a heartbeat. Could he have held his own in the English Premier? Of course he could. If Sunderland could have someone like Lee Catermole run around for them in the top flight, then Brown, in his prime, would have done a job down there. Always seemed a totally different sort off the field to his stony-faced kunt persona on it. 

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He isn't though, is he?

It seems that way just now with recency bias and the fact that he stayed for years. But he doesn't come close to stacking up to actual Celtic 'legends'. In fact, it's offensive to the real deals to call him one, both for his playing achievements and his utter lack of gravitas.

It's a phrase that brings to mind the likes of Billy McNeill, Tommy Burns, Paul McStay, Henrik Larsson, Jimmy Johnstone etc. Suggesting Brown belongs among such company is ludicrous. For f**k's sake, he's not even a Chris Sutton, Paul Lambert or a John Hartson in the scheme of things.

Celtic have achieved absolutely nothing that they wouldn't have achieved without Scott Brown.

You seem to be basing ‘legendary’ status purely on ability which I don’t get. On a more extreme scale Shaun Goater is still seen as a Man City legend but wouldn’t have got a game for Man City reserves for the past decade.
It would be strange for Brown to be seen as anything other than a legend for us, how often to players captain a club for a decade these days? Especially when he picked up consecutive domestic trophy’s on the bounce many times over. People are trying waaay too hard here, he’s retired now, let it go.

Edited by gannonball

I was willing to give the Brown/Glass combo a chance and going by reports he was a good purchase in the first 6 months or so. I quite enjoyed seeing him strutting his stuff in a Dons' jersey, tbh.

However, once Glass went, Brown's days were numbered, particularly as his role was player/coach. If he had been a player only he might have lasted to the end of the season.

I don't think he would have been there if Glass hadn't have been appointed.

A gamble, by Cormack, that failed (fairly spectacularly).

Edited by Jacksgranda

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hartley was a better midfielder, but was in the twilight of his career when Brown was getting started. Petrov was better too. 

Edited by Kyle Reese
Autocorrect

11 hours ago, AJF said:

Good player and captain but ultimately benefitted by being in a side with no credible challenge for the best part of a decade. Found out against a good midfield and ended his career rather pitifully.

Are you just pretending he didn’t win 4 trebles whilst Rangers* were in the league? The found out stuff is even more desperate considering he had decent stats in the champions league and captained Scotland for so long and even longer if he wanted to.

Hartley was a better midfielder, but was in the twilight of his career when Brown was getting started. Petrov was better too. 

Petrov left Scotland in 2006 and Hartley was last good in about 2008, so I'm not sure what relevance this has to anything I said about Brown.

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Who knew calling Broony a legend would upset so many 😂

2ACBFE05-5A1A-40E2-99C0-361F475D72BB.thumb.png.d1367feb45a8bcd1155c2a08f302c01f.png

I knew he bothered people but folk dishing out red dots because you called him a legend is quite baffling. I knew he was hated but still underestimated how much he boils peoples piss.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The one downside of this news is that his inevitable appearance as a pundit is now a step closer

Unless he goes to jail

Could be an upside if it means Shelley Kerr getting her jotters.

18 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

No fair point, I was not really taking a decade in to account, fair enough. 

7 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He isn't though, is he?

Considering Celtic fans call him one, I would say he is a ‘Celtic legend'. Like I said he had the ability and potential to go a long way.

He’s had a good career, saying he never would be stupid. He made a lot of money and won a lot of silverware. I have no doubt if he stayed the same player when he left Hibs and wasn’t retrained into being the holding midfielder he turned out to be, he could’ve been playing at the very top.