Scott Brown retires

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

In 14/15 and 15/16 Aberdeen were as close to Celtic as Rangers are now at the same point of the season.

Would you say that Celtic haven’t had a credible challenge this season?

Which would also suggest that Rangers title win last season wasn’t credible nevermind the incredible achievement Rangers fans want us all to believe it to be

11 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

In 14/15 and 15/16 Aberdeen were as close to Celtic as Rangers are now at the same point of the season.

Would you say that Celtic haven’t had a credible challenge this season?

That will entirely depend on what the final league standings look like, I would imagine.

I would suggest the difference between then and now is that this Rangers team is more aligned quality wise with Celtic than Aberdeen or Hearts were ever capable of due to the gulf in finance and quality in the squads.

At the risk of repeating myself again, this line of thought isn’t to diminish what Celtic achieved as a team, it was to highlight how Brown’s demeanour and subsequent performances were vastly different in the periods where Celtic had little in way of competition.

7 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Which would also suggest that Rangers title win last season wasn’t credible nevermind the incredible achievement Rangers fans want us all to believe it to be

That would be true if I was arguing the achievements of Celtic were not credible. It is through no fault of theirs they enjoyed a period where their main and often only rivals were a basket case.

It is not the point I am making, as outlined in my last post.

Edited by AJF

1 minute ago, AJF said:

That would be true if I was arguing the achievements of Celtic were not credible. It is through no fault of theirs they enjoyed a period where their main and often only rivals were a basket case.

It is not the point I am making, as outlined in my last post.

What was the point you were making? 

I think what @VincentGuerin is getting at is that about 95% of Brown's medals were won with effectively zero challenge.  On paper his achievements look impressive but as soon as you look at them with a bawhair of objectively you think 'Well aye, but they were all fucking gimmes.'

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think what @VincentGuerin is getting at is that about 95% of Brown's medals were won with effectively zero challenge.  On paper his achievements look impressive but as soon as you look at them with a bawhair of objectively you think 'Well aye, but they were all fucking gimmes.'

Let’s be honest, winning a league title with either of the weegie 2 is hardly up there in great sporting achievements. It’s a 2 horse fucking race min.

1 minute ago, big al said:

Let’s be honest, winning a league title with either of the weegie 2 is hardly up there in great sporting achievements. It’s a 2 horse fucking race min.

Indeed, but Celtic fans, Rangers fans and the Scottish media and pundits think it's fucking Champions League winning level achievement.

I laughed when old dead Rangers’ fans used to say they got the better signing in Kevin Thomson. :lol: 

If Broony played for your team you loved him and if he didn’t you hated him. He was just one of those characters. Simple as that.

Edited by Henrik's tongue

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Please accept this honorary degree in stating the bloody obvious

In the sentence you refer to I didn't state anything.  I offered a summary of another poster's argument, leaving open the question of whether or not it was true.

Please accept this fail in basic reading comprehension. The most tip top my arse.

7 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

I laughed when old dead Rangers’ fans used to say they got the better signing in Kevin Thomson. :lol: 

If Broony played for your team you loved him and if he didn’t you hated him. He was just one of those characters. Simple as that.

If Brownie played in my team I would dislike him just as much as I do Andy Halliday or Jamie Walker… more in fact, because he’s a bigger bellend than both.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

That will entirely depend on what the final league standings look like, I would imagine.

I would suggest the difference between then and now is that this Rangers team is more aligned quality wise with Celtic than Aberdeen or Hearts were ever capable of due to the gulf in finance and quality in the squads.

At the risk of repeating myself again, this line of thought isn’t to diminish what Celtic achieved as a team, it was to highlight how Brown’s demeanour and subsequent performances were vastly different in the periods where Celtic had little in way of competition.

I have to agree, I don't think we were credible challengers for the title in either of the seasons mentioned. I think if we were serious challengers we would've won one of those titles, I don't think Celtic were particularly strong.

Milne didn't back his manager in either of the January windows with any intent (as he didn't in 2007/08 when it could have made a difference). You don't win titles with the other Scott Brown in goals 

I think some of my fellow Dons like to fool themselves that the title was on but the inaction of the club said they didn't truly believe.

If you're going to win a league title everyone needs to have belief that it can be done.

1 hour ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Whatever we think of Scott Brown if our criteria for judging a Scottish player is that he must have achievements outside Scotland we've given up on Scottish football completely.  One individual can't transform our international side or our club sides into winners at international or European level:  that would be preposterously high bar to set.  That leaves success playing in a bigger country as the only realistic hope of meeting your criteria for being a "big deal in the pantheon of Scottish footballers".

So any Scottish player who wants to be considered one of the greats must get out of Scotland.  If that's true the state of Scottish football is even grimmer than I thought, and believe me I already thought it was grim.

Is this honestly news to you?

22 minutes ago, Henrik's tongue said:

They really didn't get the better signing. Thomson was a cracking player but his career was blighted by some really bad injuries. Broony never had the scale of injuries Thomson got. 

If Scott Brown is to be criticised for anything, it's for a lack of ambition in not leaving Celtic 10 years ago and going to England or abroad. But he liked being in the small pond that is Scottish football and he revelled in it. That was his choice. The fact that Rangers were out of the top flight for part of his Celtic career when he racked up the titles and medals sits firmly in SB's 'not my fucking problem' file. 

Edited by AndyM