Airdrie v Cove - Diamonds Do or Die

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

He did get lifted off in the last couple of minutes which is a worry for us. Hopefully nothing too serious but you are right would be a massive blow. Leighton, Masson and Ola aren't going to contribute overly much.

Looked in a fair bit of discomfort. Happened during the celebration.

Frustrating but we perhaps did not do enough when we had upper hand; after the goal and towards the end of the first half.

Some of referee's decisions today were baffling. Quite how Mark Reynolds escaped a booking is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We stole a point there. We deserved nothing, we're off our game. Airdrie far sharper, played with more energy and looked like they had more quality in the final third. Took a worldy from Fyvie who would score that once in 50.

Fuckin' hell! Take "Airdrie" out of your statement and insert "Cove Rangers". It'll make it a much more accurate review IMO. 1st half was ours and our goal plus our crowd seemed to put you on the back foot. You bossed us in the 2nd half, it was backs to the wall for us, clearing our lines at every opportunity but loosing the ball straight away. You deserved a draw at least and you got it. Just sickening for us that it was practically the last kick of the ball though. Good luck to you in the Championship, hope we join you!

53 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

A number going round to meet the Cove fans coming out - our own plus some Rangers who wanted to greet some Aberdeen who were in attendance. 

A great example of a single sentence carrying multiple beyond cringeworthy sentiments.

44 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

It always looks more when you are in the main stand and looking over the crowd - plenty of gaps from just before the halfway line to the Petersburn Road end...pack them all together and the main stand was about half full...still very good but the figures are accurate, there was just under 200 Cove fans. 

From the middle of the main stand to the Petersburn road end was emptier than the craigneuk avenue end but i remain highly sceptical that the main stand was much less than half full. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

A number going round to meet the Cove fans coming out - our own plus some Rangers who wanted to greet some Aberdeen who were in attendance. 

I knew that there would be trouble with the late equaliser but as for it being anything to do with Rangers or even Aberdeen is untruthful 

12 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

Fuckin' hell! Take "Airdrie" out of your statement and insert "Cove Rangers". It'll make it a much more accurate review IMO. 1st half was ours and our goal plus our crowd seemed to put you on the back foot. You bossed us in the 2nd half, it was backs to the wall for us, clearing our lines at every opportunity but loosing the ball straight away. You deserved a draw at least and you got it. Just sickening for us that it was practically the last kick of the ball though. Good luck to you in the Championship, hope we join you!

Game we're you watching? Airdrie could have been 3 or 4 up at ht. Cove came at us second half but we were comfortable in defence never got cut open or created anything then scored a screamer! Also there number 3 should have been sent off! 

37 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

During the celebration 🙄

Without wishing ill on him. I hope for our sake he's done for the season, it's probably our 0.1% chance of winning this now. 

I was prepared to come on and give congratulations to cove a late goal like that has been coming our way in the last few weeks.   As the game goes on we sit deeper and deeper.  The last few weeks we have got away with it and today cove kept at it and it's probably won them the league.  

My reason for not offering congratulations today is the reaction to the airdrie fans at the final whistle.   That arsehole who landed on someone's knee and injured his groin (so funny to see him carried off) and McAllister had no need to give big licks to airdrie fans after that.  But most of the staff were away on the pitch or facing airdrie fans (in the family section) giving gestures when Ian Murray approached to shake hands after.  

5 minutes ago, Ballboy said:

I was prepared to come on and give congratulations to cove a late goal like that has been coming our way in the last few weeks.   As the game goes on we sit deeper and deeper.  The last few weeks we have got away with it and today cove kept at it and it's probably won them the league.  

My reason for not offering congratulations today is the reaction to the airdrie fans at the final whistle.   That arsehole who landed on someone's knee and injured his groin (so funny to see him carried off) and McAllister had no need to give big licks to airdrie fans after that.  But most of the staff were away on the pitch or facing airdrie fans (in the family section) giving gestures when Ian Murray approached to shake hands after.  

The celebration was over the top but if it was the other way about the airdrie bench would have been the same. That was a potential title winning goal.  So if it was airdrie there would have been a pitch invasion.  I wasnt expecting anything from the game but the manner of how we conceded is a sickener. Airdries history in the play offs is not anything to brag about so im not holding much hope for them. 

We keep going as this is the best team we have had in years.  Come on Airdrie ♦️ 💪 

28 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

We had the better of the second half I admit but never thought we created anything of note. Struggling to actually think when we worked Currie. 

Airdrie held their shape and Cove looked lethargic in possession. Likewise in the first half thought we created little. Airdrie on the other hand after the early goal, looked capable of adding to it.

Thought Watson did ok against Harry throughout the game, he normally gets far more joy. Brody limited Shay especially in the first half.

Our CB's looked shaky as hell in that first 45.

22 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Without wishing ill on him. I hope for our sake he's done for the season, it's probably our 0.1% chance of winning this now. 

Leighton McIntosh waiting in the wings 🤔. Still 2 big away games to come for us.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Sorry to read about your Covid concern and for missing out on the game. 

I had hoped we would go for it from the start and it could not have been better. But we always needed a 2nd goal band I think it was Gabby who missed the headed chance or at least let the keeper save it. We had chances and in the end it left us giving possession to Cove in 2nd half. 

I always felt one of those crosses or runs would bring an equaliser  and was delighted when Milne went off! It will sound like sour grapes but I don't think the free kick leading to the corner before that last minute Fyvie sickener, was anyway near a foul. However we should have someone outside the box, one of Murray and modern managers corner defending tactics. 

Deflated yes but pleased at how much we have done this season, apart from not beating Cove and throwing points to Clyde. It's Coves to lose now but unlikely.

Hope your wife is well and maybe we will finally win a play off final!

Thanks, I tested later in the day and was positive so will need to isolate. Light symptoms and wife is the same. Appreciate your concern. 

Diamonds came out the blocks really fast, their energy and press was impressive and a second like you said would have been a mountain to climb for us. Our CB's struggled with anything in the box; an area we need to strengthen. With no Rory we looked limited up top. Mitch was dropping so deep to collect the ball and try to get involved.

Ref made some dubious calls throughout the game it must be said.

Clearly not much between the teams at all. I suspect Airdrie to keep the unbeaten run going for the final 5 games and therefore keep applying the pressure.

I went to this as a “neutral”, even though I dislike both these clubs - but found myself in the central belt with a free afternoon and this looked the most interesting fixture.

In the event, due to the long queues to get in to the vast (for the third tier) ground, I missed the Airdrie goal.

Then when Cove messed up a free kick in the 92nd minute I thought that was that, and decided to pop out to leave the home fans to their quintessential staunch joy at the end.

Therefore I also missed Fyvie’s ping.

However, I will have the memory of beating the traffic getting away from the ground.

23 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

We had the better of the second half I admit but never thought we created anything of note. Struggling to actually think when we worked Currie. 

Airdrie held their shape and Cove looked lethargic in possession. Likewise in the first half thought we created little. Airdrie on the other hand after the early goal, looked capable of adding to it.

Thought Watson did ok against Harry throughout the game, he normally gets far more joy. Brody limited Shay especially in the first half.

Our CB's looked shaky as hell in that first 45.

Leighton McIntosh waiting in the wings 🤔. Still 2 big away games to come for us.

Airdrie certainly seemed content to let Morgyn Neill have the ball at times but pressed aggressively whenever Reynolds or Ross were on the ball. It worked well early on but whether it was tiredness or a change in tactics, we seemed reluctant to press high up as the game went on. 

I know you’re not a fan but I kept forgetting Vigurs was on the pitch today. He’s good on the ball but really lacks mobility. Agnew does a similar job for us and perhaps I notice it more because it’s for Airdrie but I feel he’s far more involved in recycling possession and covering defensively. Yule was probably Cove’s biggest threat, constantly finding space and driving forward from midfield. Scully wasn’t really in the game but seemed to be there solely to man mark Easton, which worked to some extent.

Hope you’re feeling better soon!

Edited by Mr November

44 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thanks, I tested later in the day and was positive so will need to isolate. Light symptoms and wife is the same. Appreciate your concern. 

Diamonds came out the blocks really fast, their energy and press was impressive and a second like you said would have been a mountain to climb for us. Our CB's struggled with anything in the box; an area we need to strengthen. With no Rory we looked limited up top. Mitch was dropping so deep to collect the ball and try to get involved.

Ref made some dubious calls throughout the game it must be said.

Clearly not much between the teams at all. I suspect Airdrie to keep the unbeaten run going for the final 5 games and therefore keep applying the pressure.

sorry to hear you missed out David, absolute sickener for us. If you win the league (which is fully expect), that screamer and the late winner v Peterhead will have been massive. 

You need to take 1 point from the next 2 for us to be in it I think and only then if we win both.

get well soon mate

Colin 

Why was masson not given more game time?   I thought he's been a stand out anytime I've seen him.   We have definitely improved as a team leaps and bounds from even how we were at Christmas but I expected more from cove.   

Reports of a Cove fan being attacked and put in hospital make me feel sicker than the late equaliser. 

The one positive you could take from Yesterday was the fact such a big support turned out. 

However, when our supporters’ bus was attacked by Celtic fans we were quick to condemn their actions. This seems like the same in reverse and we need to do the same. 

Sincere apologies to Cove. no one should be attacked at the football. 

Some of our supporters need to recognise that the days of football violence are gone. With CCTV and Camera phones, they also run the risk of being easily identified and having a really negative impact on their lives. 

42 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

Reports of a Cove fan being attacked and put in hospital make me feel sicker than the late equaliser. 

The one positive you could take from Yesterday was the fact such a big support turned out. 

However, when our supporters’ bus was attacked by Celtic fans we were quick to condemn their actions. This seems like the same in reverse and we need to do the same. 

Sincere apologies to Cove. no one should be attacked at the football. 

Some of our supporters need to recognise that the days of football violence are gone. With CCTV and Camera phones, they also run the risk of being easily identified and having a really negative impact on their lives. 

Very sad to hear fans minding their own buisness being attacked. 

Their will be fighting at football, pubs, night clubs etc as long as groups of young men who have been drinking are gather at them. Cctv, camera phones and anything else won't stop it. Growing up will stop the individuals though.