Cost of Living Crisis

Paco

On 06/04/2022 at 11:01, Dawson Park Boy said:

Don’t know about food inflation alone but inflation in the eu countries has hit 7.5% which is higher than the UK.

You're not really using comparable figures. The 'expected' figure for March is 7.5% compared to 5.9% in February.

ba153bc6-c1aa-f6e5-785b-21c83f5319e5 (europa.eu)

The UK rate in February was 6.2% in February and is expected to be 8% in 'spring'.

Consumer price inflation, UK - Office for National Statistics

Will inflation in the UK keep rising? | Bank of England

5 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

You're not really using comparable figures. The 'expected' figure for March is 7.5% compared to 5.9% in February.

ba153bc6-c1aa-f6e5-785b-21c83f5319e5 (europa.eu)

The UK rate in February was 6.2% in February and is expected to be 8% in 'spring'.

Consumer price inflation, UK - Office for National Statistics

Will inflation in the UK keep rising? | Bank of England

Whichever way you look at it, they’re fairly similar and, really, not worth arguing about.

One way or another the outlook is bleak wherever you live.

54 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Whichever way you look at it, they’re fairly similar and, really, not worth arguing about.

One way or another the outlook is bleak wherever you live.

What does whataboutery have to do with the Tories explicitly promising that the opposite would result from Brexit?

20 minutes ago, Antlion said:

What does whataboutery have to do with the Tories explicitly promising that the opposite would result from Brexit?

You are aware that since then there’s been a global pandemic and a Russian invasion that’s mostly responsible for these hikes which have affected the rest of europe as well.  Blaming it on Brexit is a bit wild.  Unfortunately all the other stuff going on means we’ll never know what would have happened or how bad it would have been if brexit was the only factor.  Circumstances have given brexiteers an easy out.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You are aware that since then there’s been a global pandemic and a Russian invasion that’s mostly responsible for these hikes which have affected the rest of europe as well.  Blaming it on Brexit is a bit wild.  Unfortunately all the other stuff going on means we’ll never know what would have happened or how bad it would have been if brexit was the only factor.  Circumstances have given brexiteers an easy out.

I’m not blaming it on Brexit (solely). I’m saying that the Tories - and assorted Brexiteers - clearly based their campaign on promises - absolute promises, made throughout - which were lies. They could never have been made in good faith (for the simple reason that there was no proof of them, plenty against them, and nobody could predict the future). Still, having made them, they should be reminded of them at every opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’m not blaming it on Brexit (solely). I’m saying that the Tories - and assorted Brexiteers - clearly based their campaign on promises - absolute promises, made throughout - which were lies. They could never have been made in good faith (for the simple reason that there was no proof of them, plenty against them, and nobody could predict the future). Still, having made them, they should be reminded of them at every opportunity.

You absolutely were blaming it on Brexit.  The headline you quoted was entirely about Brexit.  You’re still doing this in your last post which is incredibly naive.  The fact is the EU is in the same shit as us with inflation.  Unless you think Brexit has taken Europe down with it then it clearly isn’t the cause.

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You absolutely were blaming it on Brexit.  The headline you quoted was entirely about Brexit.  You’re still doing this in your last post which is incredibly naive.  The fact is the EU is in the same shit as us with inflation.  Unless you think Brexit has taken Europe down with it then it clearly isn’t the cause.

The headline was from pre-2016. It promised that food prices would go down after Brexit. Brexiteers were happy to make this promise, knowing full well it was highly questionable and utterly unprovable - and it has in fact since been shown to be a nonsense. Food prices have not gone down since Brexit - quite the opposite.

What part of this is are you finding difficult to understand? Are you claiming that it was perfectly alright for them to make these assurances to people, despite the fact that literally anything could happen (and has happened)?

Edited by Antlion

5 minutes ago, Antlion said:

The headline was from pre-2016. It promised that food prices would go down after Brexit. Brexiteers were happy to make this promise, knowing full well it was highly questionable and utterly unprovable - and it has in fact since been shown to be a nonsense. Food prices have not gone down since Brexit - quite the opposite.

What part of this is are you finding difficult to understand? Are you claiming that it was perfectly alright for them to make these assurances to people, despite the fact that literally anything could happen (and has happened)?

So basically you’re saying that politicians shouldn’t say what their policies are designed to do because they can’t predict the future so can’t guarantee it.

My word.

Politicians of all parties talk shite 99% of the time and can’t guarantee anything.  They’ll say literally anything they think will get them more votes than their rivals.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

So basically you’re saying that politicians shouldn’t say what their policies are designed to do because they can’t predict the future so can’t guarantee it.

My word.

Politicians of all parties talk shite 99% of the time and can’t guarantee anything.  They’ll say literally anything they think will get them more votes than their rivals.

I’m saying they should be held to account for making clear promises they couldn’t keep and haven’t kept. Every time food prices or energy prices rise, those who assured us that the opposite would happen if only we voted for what they wanted us to vote for should have those crystal-clear assurances held up for all to see. The hackneyed “oh, but they’re all just liars, every one, all the same” cuts no ice with me.

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

I’m saying they should be held to account for making clear promises they couldn’t keep and haven’t kept. Every time food prices or energy prices rise, those who assured us that the opposite would happen if only we voted for what they wanted us to vote for should have those crystal-clear assurances held up for all to see. The hackneyed “oh, but they’re all just liars, every one, all the same” cuts no ice with me.

Just the Tories or all political parties?

Show me one party that has lived up to all the promises they’ve made.

Brexit has unarguably had a negative effect on living standards. The pandemic and war in Ukraine also impacting hasn't made brexit disappear.

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Worst example of "well they all lie, so these inconvenient to me lies are fine" that i''ve seen for a while. Craven.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Just the Tories or all political parties?

Show me one party that has lived up to all the promises they’ve made.

I’m happy to just do the Tories, thanks. If you’d like to start encouraging folk to look elsewhere (because, ‘but what about them?”), and to claim that one party’s explicit false promises are somehow ok because other parties haven’t lived up to every single promise they’ve ever made, batter in.

1 minute ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Brexit has unarguably had a negative effect on living standards. The pandemic and war in Ukraine also impacting hasn't made brexit disappear.

Worst example of "well they all lie, so these inconvenient to me lies are fine" that i''ve seen for a while. Craven.

You’re making a big assumption there that I’m a Tory supporter just because I pointed out how idiotic someone’s posts are.

I’m not a fan of any political party.

Just now, Left Back said:

You’re making a big assumption there that I’m a Tory supporter just because I pointed out how idiotic someone’s posts are.

How edgy. They’re all exactly the same, right - just as bad as each other. What a hot take.

2 minutes ago, Antlion said:

I’m happy to just do the Tories, thanks. If you’d like to start encouraging folk to look elsewhere (because, ‘but what about them?”), and to claim that one party’s explicit false promises are somehow ok because other parties haven’t lived up to every single promise they’ve ever made, batter in.

And there we have it.  You sum up the polarisation of politics in this country.  You judge the party you love/hate by one set of standards and apply a different set to the opposite.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

I'm not. You're creating arguments no one is making to knock them down. I don't think you're a tory. I think, if these things you're thinking out loud are what you actually believe, that you are an imbecile. 

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

How edgy. They’re all exactly the same, right - just as bad as each other. What a hot take.

Sizzling. 

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

And there we have it.  You sum up the polarisation of politics in this country.  You judge the party you love/hate by one set of standards and apply a different set to the opposite.

Wow - you somehow managed to divine I’m no fan of the Tories, and after I thought I’d managed to hide it so well. Oh, for the days when politics was happily unpolarised and I might have slipped under the radar - but no; there’s clearly no hiding from someone who’s such a political mastermind they’ve discovered that all political parties are just the same.

Of course, if you’d be a bit more forthcoming about which party it is you think is comparable in terms of making clear assurances that the cost of living would fall if we did as they wished, I’m all ears.

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I'm not. You're creating arguments no one is making to knock them down. I don't think you're a tory. I think, if these things you're thinking out loud are what you actually believe, that you are an imbecile. 

Sizzling. 

🤣🤣🤣

Dearie me.  I assume you haven’t read the posts.

This forum makes the Covid thread look rational.