Austria v Scotland

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've never been able to work out if Arnautovic is good or shite.

Is he both?

He's like if you took Ibrahimovic and made all his good qualities about 50% worse and all his bad qualities twice as bad.

I can only assume you watched a different Poland game to me, because I thought we were excellent. Fortunately we won't play like that against Wales, because the players won't be subconsciously playing with such low intensity and we won't have inferior players like Lewis Ferguson (no harm to him) on the pitch.
I hope you are correct. I worry we are still typically Scottish

Started at the wrong pace, and never really picked it up all night.  Subs done nothing to address it and Dykes couldn't get us up the park. 

Defensively poor all night, but it's not very often we are like that so you take it on the chin and move on. Playoffs will be played at a much better tempo and we'll not have a lineup like that.

4 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:
7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:
We were absolutely nowhere near poor against Poland.

What I mean is that we couldn't see out a win, typically Scottish. To me that's poor, the difference between "good" and "qualifies for 2nd round of tournaments"

We never seen it out because of a blatant dive that wouldn't have survived a VAR check. Not because we lack quality.

The main thing we learned from tonight is the team for the next game is likely to be: Gordon; Patterson, McTominay, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson; Gilmour, McGregor; McGinn, Adams, Dykes/Christie.

I would probably prefer Cooper to Hanley but I don't think Clarke will and none of those more fringe players who came in from the start tonight did enough to take a place. Dykes v Christie is a horses for courses decision. If our next match is Armenia, it will be Dykes. If it is Ukraine, I imagine Christie will get the nod.

I don't think there were any 'bad' performances; taking out McGregor and Gilmour who have been mainstays in our unbeaten run was probably too much of a shock to the system and we didn't get close to controlling the tempo. 

I also think Austria match up quite well against us as a team. In the qualifiers they kept lots of pressure against our defence for sustained periods and, even if that didn't translate to clear-cut chances in Vienna last year, we did very well to take 4 points off them. 

The standard of performance obviously dropped and it's disappointing to lose a 2 goal lead, but despite that we still showed in flashes that we're capable of brilliant passages of play and we still didn't lose. And I'm happy to forgive anything for the sake of getting to watch that second goal as often as I like. 

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

The main thing we learned from tonight is the team for the next game is likely to be: Gordon; Patterson, McTominay, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson; Gilmour, McGregor; McGinn, Adams, Dykes/Christie.

I agree with this apart from McTominay playing centre half. Rather have Hendry n I'd agree. However no danger Clarke will leave him out so what you have put is what we will go for. 

Disappointing performance - It was uncomfortable viewing most of the game. We didn't play well by and large and I gave up trying to figure out what the shape was meant to be or what we were trying to do. Not a big drama, there will still be good things hidden away in that performance that will hopefully help us going forward.

Craig Gordon obviously was the stand out. 

I agree with this apart from McTominay playing centre half. Rather have Hendry n I'd agree. However no danger Clarke will leave him out so what you have put is what we will go for. 
It may have just been me but I wasn't impressed with Jack Hendry tonight. Positional sense was all over the shop which, combined with Hanley going backwards, is worrying. Ultimately I'm comfortable enough going with McTominay over Hendry. McTominay v Souttar is one that I'd be more willing to drop McTominay for.

Just now, BucksburnDandy said:
13 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

It may have just been me but I wasn't impressed with Jack Hendry tonight. Positional sense was all over the shop which, combined with Hanley going backwards, is worrying. Ultimately I'm comfortable enough going with McTominay over Hendry. McTominay v Souttar is one that I'd be more willing to drop McTominay for.

I agree with you. Hanley and Hendry looked like they had no understanding at all tonight. Hanley made some daft errors and Hendry was positionally very poor IMO. They also left far too big a gap between them at times. 

Hendry out for Souttar or McTominay would make me feel a bit better. 

Only thing in Hendry's defence is that he's not been playing regularly at club level and is maybe a bit rusty.