Sons vs Blue Toon

19 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We not only desperately lack a proper set piece taker we lack someone willing to go heid first through a brick wall to get on the end of a corner or free kick. 

The sad truth is we have the best set piece taker in the league and he sits on the bench for 90 mins every week 

After a couple weeks of finally getting the rewards of good play thought we would try to continue to play with some confidence yesterday knowing a win would allow us to climb the league. Sadly losing an early goal & the unpredictable state of the pitch led to a very poor first half from us. Hopefully the draw should be enough to avoid the play-offs for us although  with the promotion places pretty much settled there could be a few coupon busting results in the last few weeks

3 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Hmm... 🤔

Joe McKee most definitely has the best dead ball delivery in the league and I’ll wait on names of those who you think are better ?

Pretty sure @Jan Vojáček will agree

Edited by Guest

@DobbiesAgent

Joe McKee could well be the best deliverer of a dead ball in the division but the frustrating and unfortunate truth is that he both hasn’t done it often enough for us this season (as many players haven’t delivered what they should) but he’s offered precious little other than set-pieces, so he’s deservedly seen his action limited.

He’d need to improve what he brings to the team from open play quite considerably before he gets a recall to the first team.

The thing with Joe McKee is you need yo build your team around him to get the best of him. Duffy realised that and played with two guys next to him in midfield who would do the donkey work, but crucially there were options in front of him. The few times we have seen Joe this year he generally picks the ball up deep, looks up, sees nothing and plays the ball sideways. When you also remove our biggest aerial threat in Ryan McGeever it doesn't really help in using his set pieces as a weapon. He's signed for next year so the manager will either need to build the team around him or we'd be best letting him find another club, he doesn't fit into a 442 and our current style of play IMO. 

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

When you also remove our biggest aerial threat in Ryan McGeever it doesn't really help in using his set pieces as a weapon. 

The most frustrating thing for me is that even without McGeever we still have plenty of height in the team. Buchanan, Stanger and Oyinsen are generally 3 of the biggest guys on the park but they just never really seem to get on the end of dead ball deliveries and if they do their efforts lack conviction. Stanger’s effort on Saturday was the exception to that, although I think having young Wilson on that particular corner made a difference. I actually think Wilson’s set piece taking ability has flown under the radar a bit, I always think we look a lot more dangerous when he is on corner duties.

15 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Joe McKee most definitely has the best dead ball delivery in the league and I’ll wait on names of those who you think are better ?

Pretty sure @Jan Vojáček will agree

Aye I don't think there's a better dead ball expert in the league than Joe. His delivery is on the money nine times out of 10. The biggest frustration for me is that we haven't had players attacking the ball like McGeever and Morgyn Neill did. They would clear out everything and everyone in their path and time their runs really well to meet the ball - none of our players have quite mastered that yet.

I agree with BBPF on Wilson too. I was really frustrated when Paton stayed on corner duty in the final minutes when Wilson was on, despite the fact none of the corners he'd put in (until the final one) had caused too many issues.