French Presidential election thread

ICTChris

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I heard something on the French news channel last night about 20-35 year olds being the age of those most likely to vote Le Pen. So basically the opposite of here. Piece here about it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2017/4/20/why-does-le-pen-get-so-much-support-from-young-voters

Yeah I had read similar

I was checking some of the stats to see and it seems anyway that the last few years they have had a surprisingly high amount of young voters and I think it was even  far higher than who voted for them who were over 60 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/nearly-half-young-french-voters-marine-le-pen-emmanuel-macron-french-election-2017-a7723291.html

Maybe the support for Le Pen and for Scottish Independence comes from the same place despite polar ideologies between the SNP and FN.

Young/youngish people seeing an establishment system that is totally remote and that is letting them down.

Of course Independence is bigger than the SNP but I think most folk see them as synonymous.

51 minutes ago, jakedee said:

I agree
875ae17e6478da65301140c5fa3afab7.jpg

Not sure where you got that from, but I think this data is for the same poll, and in the 16-24 category it only shows 37 yes voters to 30 no voters.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/0e05zst5xb/TheseIslands_Scotland_Results_220401.pdf

As you can see, Yes actually does better and is at it’s peak in the 25-49 category.  The younger you go from there, the more support for separation peters off.

No undoubtedly has the old vote though.  Hands down!

16-17 year olds voted No in 2014, something the Nats did not expect.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

3 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

you can never presume how the generations coming up will vote or think, they may continue to favour independence or they may get sick fed up of hearing it

Very true, and unpredictable seismic events can change things.

No one saw the following coming:

-Corbyn becoming Labour leader.

-The huge rise of the SNP after the 2014 referendum defeat.

-COVID.

-Ukraine.

-Trump getting in.

There will be more of these types of things in the years to come, all with the ability to change the dynamic in a huge way.

51 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

There will be more of these types of things in the years to come, all with the ability to change the dynamic in a huge way.

Which would be your favourites? :)

8 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Very true, and unpredictable seismic events can change things.

No one saw the following coming:

-Corbyn becoming Labour leader.

-The huge rise of the SNP after the 2014 referendum defeat.

-COVID.

-Ukraine.

-Trump getting in.

whereas everyone expected the following:

- England edging every further to the right and voting through Brexit;

- Brexit having a huge detrimental impact on the economy;

- Tory Government embracing and actively promoting sleaze, corruption, and lies;

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

whereas everyone expected the following:

- England edging every further to the right and voting through Brexit;

- Brexit having a huge detrimental impact on the economy;

- Tory Government embracing and actively promoting sleaze, corruption, and lies;

Rubbish.  No-one expected Brexit to win the referendum.  Not even the people campaigning for it.  They were thrown the bone of a referendum by Cameron to try and shut them up and it was a shock that they won.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Rubbish.  No-one expected Brexit to win the referendum.  Not even the people campaigning for it.  They were thrown the bone of a referendum by Cameron to try and shut them up and it was a shock that they won.

I was being sarcastic in reference to the omission of Brexit in the list that I quoted. 

Macron may rethink his policy on state pension retirement age, he wanted to raise it from 62 to 65.  Yet there are people in this country that buy into the Tory lie that we cannot afford to pay pensioners and should be going for a state pension age of 67 (currently 66).

Few days to go, and although Macron is still favourite it's looking a lot closer than last time. Some surprising numbers in here regarding Melenchon voters, who seems to be split pretty evenly despite Melenchon himself saying he doesn't want a single one of his supporters voting for Le Pen.

Also surprising given the Ukraine conflict that there seems to be support for her policy of leaving NATO.

I suspect many aren't too focused on particular policies and this is the most important factor when it comes to the vote -

Direction of Country

Q "Is France currently heading in the right or wrong direction as a country?"

Right = 38%

Wrong = 62%

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/french-election-le-pen-may-be-on-verge-of-shock-win-with-horror-undecided-stat-for-macron/ar-AAWht93?ocid=entnewsntp

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

Few days to go, and although Macron is still favourite it's looking a lot closer than last time. Some surprising numbers in here regarding Melenchon voters, who seems to be split pretty evenly despite Melenchon himself saying he doesn't want a single one of his supporters voting for Le Pen.

Also surprising given the Ukraine conflict that there seems to be support for her policy of leaving NATO.

I suspect many aren't too focused on particular policies and this is the most important factor when it comes to the vote -

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/french-election-le-pen-may-be-on-verge-of-shock-win-with-horror-undecided-stat-for-macron/ar-AAWht93?ocid=entnewsntp

I reckon you would get that sort of response to that question in most countries tbh.