Heart of Midlothian - 2022/23 European Tour

Elixir

No embarrassment to lose to a team like that, but we gave ourselves absolutely no chance. Baffling lineup, baffling formation and schoolboy defending. 

Not that it matters as we'd have lost anyway, but I don't think that's a red for Neilson. It's in no way a goalscoring opportunity, Gordon practically already has it in his hands. It is however utter stupidity to get caught the wrong side in the first place and then naivety to tug him. 

Agree with most of above, thought Hearts number 8 was dreadful. Fiorentina were harder working, more skilful, more adept at using their body when controlling or fighting for the ball. I watched Hearts midfield and they were miles off it. Totally dominated by Amrabatt (spelling) who looked a class player.  From the very start Hearts players looked defeated and knew they could not win.  Craig Gordon's distribution is unacceptable. If that is Scotland's third best team, the rest must be woeful.

21 minutes ago, The 55 said:

Craig Gordon's distribution is unacceptable.

As the kids are says on Twitter these days, “you know ball”. 🤝

Apparently pointing out that ‘Scotland’s greatest ever goalie’ still is incredibly weak in several of the basic fundamentals of goalkeeping - at the tender age of 39 - is a cardinal sin.

2 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Most football fans are dribbling morons, tbf, and I would include myself in that.

Did folk actually think we would beat Fiorentina with 11 players on the park, never mind 10? 

Probably not. However, I also didn't think we'd play a flat back 5, drop our top performing midfielder and make no effort whatsoever to engage them. No shame in losing, but we could've gave a hell of a better account of ourselves.

1 minute ago, Tony Wonder said:

Probably not. However, I also didn't think we'd play a flat back 5, drop our top performing midfielder and make no effort whatsoever to engage them. No shame in losing, but we could've gave a hell of a better account of ourselves.

I get that, and agree that we were set up badly, and didn't really give them a game - my feeling, though, is that they're a far better team with far better players - disappointing as the performance was, it's absolutely no surprise that they beat us comfortably.

I can see folk losing their shit all over social media, which is fair enough, but we lost to a far better side, which is also fair enough. 

12 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I get that, and agree that we were set up badly, and didn't really give them a game - my feeling, though, is that they're a far better team with far better players - disappointing as the performance was, it's absolutely no surprise that they beat us comfortably.

I can see folk losing their shit all over social media, which is fair enough, but we lost to a far better side, which is also fair enough. 

They were far better. But I genuinely think they were far less better than Istanbul were for instance and yet we sat back in the exact same manner. The very few times we put any pressure on they never liked it, we could've done more of that. We've set up terribly against Istanbul and Rangers before this and been pumped both times, doing the exact same thing is mental. That's my issue, not losing to Fiorentina.

Edited by Tony Wonder

7 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

They were far better. But I genuinely think they were far less better than Istanbul were for instance and yet we sat back in the exact same manner. The very few times we put any pressure on they never liked it, we could've done more of that. We've set up terribly against Istanbul and Rangers before this and been pumped both times, doing the exact same thing is mental. That's my issue, not losing to Fiorentina.

I actually thought against Istanbul we didn't play badly, they were just orders of magnitude better than us.

However - RFS have now drawn with both the top teams in the group which begs the question - why can't we? 

10 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

RN sometimes overthinks things and gets things wrong. 

I just wouldn't be sacking a manager based on results in Europe, because we're not in Europe often enough.

Nor would I be sacking a manager based on results against the old firm, because our overall record against them is appalling.

1 minute ago, paranoid android said:

RN sometimes overthinks things and gets things wrong. 

I just wouldn't be sacking a manager based on results in Europe, because we're not in Europe often enough.

Nor would I be sacking a manager based on results against the old firm, because our overall record against them is appalling.

I'm not one of those suggesting we sack him. However, he makes the same mistakes time after time in big games, if he's not learning or unwilling to adapt do we really just settle for that in the long run? He needs to show he can learn from his mistakes when demanding the same of his players.

It's completely understandable why some fans can't take to him tbh. We are back to a period of it being no fun to watch us. These games should be great occasions, instead we are just meant to turn up, spend our money but write off the actual games themselves.

5 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

I'm not one of those suggesting we sack him. However, he makes the same mistakes time after time in big games, if he's not learning or unwilling to adapt do we really just settle for that in the long run? He needs to show he can learn from his mistakes when demanding the same of his players.

It's completely understandable why some fans can't take to him tbh. We are back to a period of it being no fun to watch us. These games should be great occasions, instead we are just meant to turn up, spend our money but write off the actual games themselves.

I'd rather we got in opposing team's faces, and played to our strengths.

My point is that folk want him sacked based on bad results/performances against the old firm and decent European sides -I think that's wrong. 

30 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I'd rather we got in opposing team's faces, and played to our strengths.

My point is that folk want him sacked based on bad results/performances against the old firm and decent European sides -I think that's wrong. 

Results, probably not no, it's not where the measure should be. Performances though I'd argue should be taken into account. Good teams or not we shouldn't be regularly shipping 3-4 goals at home.

22 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Results, probably not no, it's not where the measure should be. Performances though I'd argue should be taken into account. Good teams or not we shouldn't be regularly shipping 3-4 goals at home.

To be fair, I don't think we should overlook the injuries to Halkett and Rowles - the absence of those two is killing us.  Boyce too, probably. 

We're also talking about games where we've gone down to ten men - that doesn't help when you're already up against it. 

On 07/10/2022 at 12:44, AndyM said:

Hearts fans I know seem to have it in for Neilson or "The Cooncil Conte" as some of them are calling him.

I’m not saying these Hearts fans necessarily  have poor judgement but I will point out that they do choose to associate with you