Mon The Toon

BerwickMad

Shearer has been a good player, no doubting it, but I don't get off on all this pish about his forgoing medals so he could play for his hometown club and what a sacrifice he made. Newcastle paid £15m for him, a record at the time, and there is no way the man was playing for free.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest eric_cartman

Shearer has been a good player, no doubting it, but I don't get off on all this pish about his forgoing medals so he could play for his hometown club and what a sacrifice he made. Newcastle paid £15m for him, a record at the time, and there is no way the man was playing for free.

True, he was a great player though. It was also refreshing to see Ronaldinho playing with nothing but a smile against AC Milan. He got lamped off big Seedorf and all he done was get up and smile. If only all players had this attitude

Hmmm, big rumour on the Liverpool forums today that Houllier will be joining the Geordies over the summer as director of football.

If it is true, BM, enjoy quality signings like Cheyrou, Diao, Traore and Diouf. You have my deepest sympathies.

Ahem ;)

http://www.pieandbovril.co.uk/forum/index....showtopic=39605

Hmmm, big rumour on the Liverpool forums today that Houllier will be joining the Geordies over the summer as director of football.

If it is true, BM, enjoy quality signings like Cheyrou, Diao, Traore and Diouf. You have my deepest sympathies.

It wouldnt surprise me. At the start I wanted Hitzfeld, but now it seems like we are stuck with Roeder. Despite doing a good job, he isnt the man to take Newcastle back into the Champions League next season, and this has to be the target.

Not the biggest fan of Houllier, but he has done well for Lyon, and he did win trophies at Liverpool. I wouldnt be happy, but I wouldnt be too upset if he came to Newcastle. Bad signings are nothing new to Newcastle. Remember the £7 million for Carl Cort, the £6 million for Marcellino, £9 million for Luque ect ect ect

He seems a more relaxed man since his heart scare, thats for sure. I reckon it would bbe a great move for him. Win ANY cup and he will be a hero and he does have a decent track record. 5 trophies in a calander year isn't bad going.

He did inherit a hell of a lot of good young talent, thanks, believe it or not, to Graeme Souness. :o

His signings by and large were pap though with one or two notable exceptions.

The problem we have is that Freddie Shepherd is picking the next manager. He is an idiot tbh. It wouldnt surprise me if the Roeder story last week was only leaked by him to see the fans reaction. Liverpool are lucky that they have a Rick Parry to sort things out. We have a thick idiot.

Guest Feyenoord

Newcastle will never win anything, they have had chances you feel as if they are the largest bridesmaid club in the world.

Newcastle will never win anything, they have had chances you feel as if they are the largest bridesmaid club in the world.

Still won double the ammount of league championships than that massive club Spurs. Mind, not hard, the Mackems have won 6 championships to Spurs 2.

• 3 months later...

Martins on his Way

Aug 23 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are confident that they will tie up the £10m signing of Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins in the next 24 hours.

United have their own man out in Milan and he is expected to bring the Nigerian striker to Tyneside either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Glenn Roeder did not want to say too much about his second signing before it is all tied up, but he did tell me today: "We are hoping that the deal will be done later today or tomorrow morning.

"It seems to be just a case of getting all the paperwork done."

The impending arrival of Martins has been welcomed by his former Inter team-mate Emre, who said today: "Obafemi is a fine player and one of the fastest strikers I have come across.

"He is a great guy and someone who I'm sure our fans will love."

United are not bothered in the least about talk that Portsmouth are ready to hijack the deal for Martins.

The word from the south coast is that Pompey's interest in Martins was last season and that Harry Redknapp is now looking elsewhere for a new striker.

And United themselves feel that after leaving the magnificent San Siro Stadium, Martins would rather play his football at the equally-magnificent St James' Park than Portsmouth's dilapidated Fratton Park.

Unfortunately, St James' will be nowhere near full when Martins watches United take on FK Ventspils in tomorrow night's UEFA Cup second qualifying round, second leg.

But United are hoping he will be on their plane on Saturday for the game at Villa Park the following day.

Roeder will travel to Villa Park tonight to watch Martin O'Neill's side in action against Reading.

I understand the United boss will leave it up to Martins to decide whether he wants to wear the No 9 shirt. Meanwhile, United have finally offloaded Jean Alain Boumsong, who has moved to Juventus for £3.3m after a disastrous 18 months on Tyneside.

And, speaking personally, I would love to see Roeder bring in another central defender like German international Robert Huth.

But the United manager would only say today: "Robert Huth is a player I like - but he is a Chelsea player."

So too is another United target, Wayne Bridge, and it looks like that's where he is going to stay as the Chelsea-Arsenal tug of war over Ashley Cole is rapidly descending into farce.

Guest Berwick till i die

After listening to the game on radio Newcastle I think it's going to be another very long season for us. Martin's injured already, ameobi needs an operation, a defence that's worse than the dumbarton defence yesterday and I can't see us signing any more players there is no way we will get woodgate on loan when liverpool are after him as they can offer him champions league football and boro who are also after him as he is a boro fan.

Newcastle make bad decision after bad decision dont they.

Why didn't they break the bank for Martin O'Neill. I find it hard to believe you couldn't have lured him before the summer.

He's already showing the difference a world class manager can make to average players.

Archived