Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

36 minutes ago, Donathan said:

How does this work contractually then? Do they just sell the rights on to another broadcaster or can they get a refund on the contract and the SFA have to sell the rights themselves? 

For the internationals, the SFA have no say. It’s UEFA who sold the rights. 

It’s also not like taking something back to Tesco. Viaplay can’t just say “here’s my receipt, I’d like my millions back please”. They have a contract with UEFA and will be required to fulfil that contract, or be stripped of the rights (as happened with Setanta).

I think one of three possibilities:

1. They flog their UK business back to Premier for a fraction of what they bought it for (in relative terms, accounting for the additional UEFA rights from 2024). 
2. They maintain a skeletal company in the UK that holds the primary rights, but sub-licenses them to other broadcasters. 
3. They default on everything, rights are handed back, and the various organisations re-sell them.

Option 2 is probably our best chance of seeing Scotland games on BBC/STV. 

Edited by The Master

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I assume everyone that has subscribed will just have to write that money off if they go off air?

Personally speaking, I pay on a monthly rolling basis so not a big drama. Sad though as I thought Viaplay's coverage was really good. Out of the three suggested options I'm pretty much indifferent. 

8 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Went for the £60 for 12 months option last month, managed to watch 1 Scotland game and 1 league cup game. Good value if that’s my lot 

Me too, except while trying to get it to work on my TV I accidentally paid another £14.99 monthly subscription. This after watching the previous qualifiers for free using a VPN and local council telly, honesty is overrated in this world.

I was paying £9.99 a month up until last month and they sent me an email a couple of weeks ago to say they were putting my subscription up to £14.99 so I cancelled it. Their business model was poor and they were too slow to offer  English language content on their other channels. 

Just seems to have been a massive over expansion and cockup 

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I assume everyone that has subscribed will just have to write that money off if they go off air?

Could it be something that could be claimed back via the bank/credit card company, for services not provided ? 

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. 

16 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Could it be something that could be claimed back via the bank/credit card company, for services not provided ? 

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. 

Has to be over £100 from memory. Can't imagine it'll go immediately  

50 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Has to be over £100 from memory. Can't imagine it'll go immediately  

£100 minimum is for a section 75 claim. A dispute can be raised for any amount, if they stopped providing the service and a charge back could be done by the bank to try and get funds back. 

58 minutes ago, pub car king said:

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023/07/20/viaplay-to-shed-over-25-of-workforce-and-exit-markets/

Looks like they are pulling out of non sport programming here and sports are staying for the time being. 

The article definitely suggests that. Time will tell. I'd like viaplay to keep its sport content i think its better quality than BBC, STV etc but if I was using alternative means I'd be clinging for terrestrial tv.

On 20/07/2023 at 11:36, PSJ.84 said:

Should the opportunity arise, hopefully Sky take Rory Hamilton on. Has the odd stumble (which isn’t really an issue) but he’s streets ahead of Crocker. 

Agree re Hamilton, he's pretty decent, but saying he's streets ahead of Crocker is damning him with faint praise.

I had the first half of the Motherwell v Queens Park game on yesterday and Viaplay were still advertising that they would be showing all of Scotland's Euro 2024 qualifiers. I don't know if that adds any weight to the discussion as I'm not an expert in advertising rules or TV rights, but thought I'd put that out there in case anyone else is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd imagine that's a slight over-simplification, and that the deal will include all of Viaplay's UK rights and not just those they picked up when buying Premier in the first place. 

So it's back to Premier Sports for 2024-28. 

Edited by The Master

35 minutes ago, The Master said:

So it's back to Premier Sports for 2024-28. 

Happy with that. I get that tight fisted people would rather it was on BBC or Channel 4 rather than just watching highlights or on some jumpy stream, but the production is bland and I've already reached the limits of my tolerance of Jonathan Sutherland and Liam McLeod from limited exposure to Sportscene. Viaplay did some decent pitchside and pre-match interviews even if Connie McLaughlin is generally annoying and excellent at asking the wrong questions usually about feeling/emotions🤷‍♂️.