Scotlands games to be broadcast on Nordic streaming platform.

Lofarl

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Genuine question, how much do you think football reporters in Scotland are paid?

Also, when journalists report on whatever your area of expertise is, like your profession, how accurate are they? 

Generally, with a few notable exceptions, journalists are rarely nerds, and this kind of information is firmly nerd territory. They have lots of contacts and are very social people but they don't like getting into boring details. The standard of reporting on things like coefficients, rule changes, finances etc is dreadful. That was brought into sharp focus when Rangers collapsed and bloggers were the only source of solid information while journalists were writing absolute pish. Now I get most of my football media news from SPFL Mediawatch and finance news from Kieran Maguire, both on Twitter.

Beyond football the lack of quality and reliability in the news media is a huge societal problem but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

I couldn't tell you but i'm pretty sure those working at the biggest media firms will be paid more than the average working salary. Journalists must be working within legal and ethical guidelines and will be evidencing their information based on reliable sources. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't trust them on a trivial and boring matter such as tv rights considering it's reported on a number of outlets?

Also, more generally speaking, i'm not just talking about journalists, the news outlets they work for have legal obligations to report based on factual information otherwise their credibility will be shot.

With the invention of social media, there's even more outlets out there to get your news from but then there will be only a limited amount of people you would trust on there and most of it will be a load of shite. Any freelancer will have trusted sources that they can use as reference if they're pitching any articles. 

I'm not quite sure your reference to most journalists not being of the nerdy type and don't like getting into boring details. As said previously, any responsible journalist must be working within legal and ethical guidelines. It will be helpful if you could provide a link to the article(s) you are referring to regarding this?

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are you for real or is this just some sort of trolling effort? I've a lot of experience dealing with Scottish football journalists. What I know about Scottish football and how it works is much more than the majority of them. I've had journalists contact me for information about how things work and what rules are on a reasonably regular basis. The majority of them are clueless outside of the Old Firm and maybe Hibs and Hearts, and even those who are genuinely interested in the rest of the game are unlikely to have enough time or interest to pore over such details, they just ask someone who does. Like I did.

I well remember a couple of seasons after the playoffs first came in sitting next to one of Scotland's allegedly more "respected" journalists who wasn't even aware there WERE playoffs in the lower leagues at that point. He knew where the bar was though, and wandered into the match 20 minutes late having been in it and asked if he'd missed anything important. I made a point of looking for his article on the game in question on the Monday. Four or five flowery paragraphs which had one single sentence on the actual match action he was being paid to report on.

This. 100% this.

You do realise that holding the rights to something does not necessarily equate to broadcasting it? The ownership situation at Premier Sports / Viaplay has changed since last season, I wasn't certain who was actually showing stuff next season. I'm 100% sure I'd trust @craigkillie or @The Master more than a random Google link or any journalist on it, especially if it wasn't a particularly recently published link.

Firstly, It was a tongue in cheek comment when I said to google it and stop being a lazy b*****d and think that's been misconstrued  and got backs up. At the same time, i still don't understand how a simple google search couldn't just give you the answer you need?

The first bit in bold is all based on speculation and your own opinion so i'm no even gonna bother arguing with you on that cause I think it's a load of rubbish what you are saying tbh. I very much doubt you know the "majority" of journalists either.

Regarding the match reporting at lower leagues in particular, I don't disgaree with you in that the match reports may not always be of good quality and there probably is a lack of interest from the reporter due to it not being a high profile game. However, it is generally based on someone's subjective viewpoint and they may only be allowed to us up five paragraphs in the paper let's say. It's simialar situation to when players get ratings, not everyone will agree on how many marks out of ten each player should have.

Regarding rights/broadcasting, yes I am fully aware of that and I know Premier Sports and Viaplay have switched between one another which was a seamless transition so whatever set up you had with one would not be affected and you'd still be able to watch the games on TV as normal as if nothing has changed. 

I'm not saying to click on some random google link, you type in the search bar of the information you need to find out and then you click on a relevant source that you'd trust the most.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Also, when journalists report on whatever your area of expertise is, like your profession, how accurate are they? 

Basically a middle man.

I look at a range of media to try and understand what Steve Clarke is doing with Scotland. Preferable to go straight to the horses mouth than via other sources although it's not always possible because some of the media is embargoed. It's much more possible than 20 years ago. Press Conference's, Interviews and official releases are typically available and not too hard to find either of YouTube, twitter or official channels. They take away the middle man. 

I see Journalists as the last place I'll look to try and find information and I'll take it with a pinch of salt. 

Posted (edited)

The reportage when it comes to commercial agreements tends to be awful.

The main journos I would trust are Martin Ross (SportBusiness) and Stephen McGowan (Daily Mail). There are others that are pretty good as well, but I wouldn't trust a red-top when it comes to detail.

Many of the rest either parrot press releases (often poorly), post clickbait or get stuff fed from people pushing an agenda.

Edited by Ray Patterson

Posted (edited)

While being the moaniest person on twitter, Ewen Murray at the Guardian got every detail bang-on about the new Sky deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/11/spfl-and-sky-discussing-new-295m-tv-deal-to-show-60-premiership-matches

While The Sun (shock) broke the news of the TV deal from 2020 but got nearly every detail - including length of deal and numbers included and even the start date (which was later edited) wrong.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3459660/sky-sports-100m-scottish-football-bt-sport-rights/

Edited by Ray Patterson

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Firstly, It was a tongue in cheek comment when I said to google it and stop being a lazy b*****d and think that's been misconstrued  and got backs up. At the same time, i still don't understand how a simple google search couldn't just give you the answer you need?

Irrelevant bit in the middle

I'm not saying to click on some random google link, you type in the search bar of the information you need to find out and then you click on a relevant source that you'd trust the most.

So trolling then? Glad we cleared that up. You answered the question yourself ironically in the last sentence. The source I trust the most was @craigkillie, @The Master and apparently @Ray Patterson though with apologies to Ray I hadn't been conscious of him till now but if The Master says he's ITK then that'll do for me. I've learned something.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

So trolling then? Glad we cleared that up. You answered the question yourself ironically in the last sentence. The source I trust the most was @craigkillie, @The Master and apparently @Ray Patterson though with apologies to Ray I hadn't been conscious of him till now but if The Master says he's ITK then that'll do for me. I've learned something.

Trolling? You're awfully sensitive if you think that's what trolling is 

A full page on how people shouldn't ask questions and just Google the answer, by God  :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the Euro fixtures list on Sky Sports. 

The England fixtures are hyper-linked to a match report page. The Scotland fixtures are not.

It's almost as if they do this sort of thing just to wind up the Jocks.

Succeeded.   :)

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/19692/12955701/euro-2024-fixtures-schedule-teams-venues-all-you-need-to-know-about-next-summer-s-tournament-in-germany