Bo'ness United 2022/23

Deanburn Dave

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Berwick apparently if you go back a page.

Why? Surely a ground in the Central belt would make more sense. Round trip for BU fans app 150 miles and EK app 200 miles for a cup with no sponsorship and only benefits the Club with the home draw.

Now know what the Low in Lowland League stands for.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Berwick apparently if you go back a page.

Which is an abomination of a venue for a final. No disrespect to Berwick, who are a good club, but asking teams to fork out for buses etc for a comp with no prize money is a an absolute joke.

1 hour ago, wulliemc said:

You could just not bother and forfeit it

The Challenge Cup Final is on the 28th this month at Broadwood between Spartans & Drumchapel, that makes logistical sense.

Methinks both clubs should try and get the LL to get a more suitable venue.

Perhaps I'm overreacting but...

Have to say that I'm very disappointed with the board of the Lowland League for their choice of venue for the league cup final. Disappointed but not surprised I guess. Choosing a venue over a hundred miles from EK, Bo'ness not much closer, makes no sense to me.

Both sides will have to put on a bus, you'd imagine that won't be cheap  which is great considering there's no prize money for either team, plus the fans of both sides get shafted with travel costs too, as well as the time spent away. I also see there's been a two quid increase in entry price compared to last year to rub salt into the wound. Got to feel this will negatively affect the attendance as casual fans won't exactly head down in their droves, not that the LL board will be bothered as they have shown in the past they simply don't care what fans of their member clubs think.

Personally I hope win or lose Bo'ness don't take part in it next season, it's nothing but a drain to their finances in its current guise; two cup finals in two years and one solitary home gate to show for it in their nine matches. 

Just my thoughts, others will have their own.

Good luck to Ian and the team this Sunday.

55 minutes ago, Scuzz said:

Have to say that I'm very disappointed with the board of the Lowland League for their choice of venue for the league cup final. Disappointed but not surprised I guess. Choosing a venue over a hundred miles from EK, Bo'ness not much closer, makes no sense to me.

Both sides will have to put on a bus, you'd imagine that won't be cheap  which is great considering there's no prize money for either team, plus the fans of both sides get shafted with travel costs too, as well as the time spent away. I also see there's been a two quid increase in entry price compared to last year to rub salt into the wound. Got to feel this will negatively affect the attendance as casual fans won't exactly head down in their droves, not that the LL board will be bothered as they have shown in the past they simply don't care what fans of their member clubs think.

Personally I hope win or lose Bo'ness don't take part in it next season, it's nothing but a drain to their finances in its current guise; two cup finals in two years and one solitary home gate to show for it in their nine matches. 

Don’t think it’s overreacting. I would like to think there’s a reason for the final to be in England, but it does give the fans a chance to tick the travelled abroad for a final.

Would also have thought there should have been some compensation when the Spartans didn’t play our only home gate.

Can  I also add my best wishes the team, as I can’t make it on Saturday. My wife refuses to let me come back from holiday for it.

2 hours ago, Scuzz said:

I moaned and groaned about this a few weeks back from Cowdenbeath’s perspective when they had to go to Berwick for the first round.

I found it hard to believe that gate revenues were not shared to at least cover the away team’s expenses to some extent.

As it was, there was over 300 people there, plus they did hospitality, so probably £3-£4k into Berwick’s coffers.  Cowden won so they did get a home game next to offset the losses, but they could easily not have.

Also, I was told withdrawing from the competition was not an option.

12 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I moaned and groaned about this a few weeks back from Cowdenbeath’s perspective when they had to go to Berwick for the first round.

I found it hard to believe that gate revenues were not shared to at least cover the away team’s expenses to some extent.

As it was, there was over 300 people there, plus they did hospitality, so probably £3-£4k into Berwick’s coffers.  Cowden won so they did get a home game next to offset the losses, but they could easily not have.

Also, I was told withdrawing from the competition was not an option.

Hospitality wouldn't come into a share of the gate. For what its worth I heard the venue for the final was decided before the start of the competition seems a bit mad now with the 2 finalists probably should just toss a coin for it.