There was a coo

19 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Very happy to get through. However that was an absolutely brutal game of football. Linlithgow could/should have scored first. They had at least 4 balls over the top that created chances. Hit the post and missed a one on one. Once we started competing it was more even. One thing to note in the first half was 5 Linlithgow players surrounding the ref to get a player sent off when it was a high challenge but an obvious attempt to play the ball. Embarrassing. Definitely a pen which was well stuck away. Second half we had chances to score but inevitably conceded. I’ll take the win albeit with 2 pens. The ref was the worst player on the pitch and lost control. He was bad for both sides tbf. All in all an easily forgettable game. Don’t know why I’m in a bad mood. There you are.

Man, that’s a bit gloomy. I thought we competed very well, game should have been out of sight before the equaliser.

Actually thought the referee was ok, didn’t fall for any of their antics. The Linlithgow management/bench were an absolute embarrassment.

3 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Man, that’s a bit gloomy. I thought we competed very well, game should have been out of sight before the equaliser.

Actually thought the referee was ok, didn’t fall for any of their antics. The Linlithgow management/bench were an absolute embarrassment.

I’ve had a beer and everything seems so much better now. Enjoy the rest of the weekend folks. 
Edit to add. The Linlithgow bench and some of the Linlithgow players were trying to influence the ref the whole game. Just play football. It’s borderline cheating. 

Edited by onecowden

Wow. What a battle that was. Game could have went either way and it was a weird one at that. We nicked a goal from 1 of 2 stonewall penalties in the sane passage of play but 0-0 at the break would have been a fairer scoreline.

Both teams had decent chances in the second half with us having the best of them, genuinely could have been 3 zip before the equaliser which you could easily have predicted.

I feared the worst for extra time but thankfully we found a way to grind it out. Getting the speedy McPherson back was the main reason for that, forcing the keeper into a silly mistake that he had no right to attempt to win. Really really stupid.

Game was far from pretty but again the endeavour and fight in this group of players is a delight. 

Linlithgow on the other hand, while possessing a decent bunch of players were an utter embarrassment in their antics. Up there with the worst bunch trying to referee the game for yet another weak set of officials. I'm delighted we got it right up them as well as the fucker that was subbed on up front, what a whinging little arsehole he was. The big boy who got sent off for them was a very decent player but made an absolute Noel Hunt of it for his side and their chances of getting another equaliser, and by that point, Linlithgow had completely lost the plot.

The away support going mental at the ballboys was a joy to behold too 🙂

Good to edge it in the end but really was one that either team could have won.

Really looking forward to the league game with them now.

8 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Wow. What a battle that was. Game could have went either way and it was a weird one at that. We nicked a goal from 1 of 2 stonewall penalties in the sane passage of play but 0-0 at the break would have been a fairer scoreline.

Both teams had decent chances in the second half with us having the best of them, genuinely could have been 3 zip before the equaliser which you could easily have predicted.

I feared the worst for extra time but thankfully we found a way to grind it out. Getting the speedy McPherson back was the main reason for that, forcing the keeper into a silly mistake that he had no right to attempt to win. Really really stupid.

Game was far from pretty but again the endeavour and fight in this group of players is a delight. 

Linlithgow on the other hand, while possessing a decent bunch of players were an utter embarrassment in their antics. Up there with the worst bunch trying to referee the game for yet another weak set of officials. I'm delighted we got it right up them as well as the fucker that was subbed on up front, what a whinging little arsehole he was. The big boy who got sent off for them was a very decent player but made an absolute Noel Hunt of it for his side and their chances of getting another equaliser, and by that point, Linlithgow had completely lost the plot.

The away support going mental at the ballboys was a joy to behold too 🙂

Good to edge it in the end but really was one that either team could have won.

Really looking forward to the league game with them now.

Good old fashioned style Cup tie - enjoyed that 

2 hours ago, Cowdenleith said:

Agree about the ref and that doesn't happen often. We had so many chances to score second half. You just knew we were going to lose a goal. MacPherson made a big difference when he came on. Linlithgow's antics were awful.

Just hope that none of our players got any serious injuries.

Great to see McPherson back. He made a difference when he came on. Could have gone either way. We stopped trying to play football and got drawn into a junior style physical cup tie which just doesn't suit us. Really pleased to get the result if only to get it up the Linlithgow  number 16, an obnoxious player. Tough day for young  Garcia who doesn't look like a defender to me.

1 hour ago, Marooneye said:

Well done on the win, could have went either way, it was a decent cup tie. 

Usual banter between fans but the homophobic shouts at Rose players were disappointing and unacceptable.

Good luck next round.

Homophobic? Do you know what that means?

I heard plenty of shouts at Rose players none were homophobic though.

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Didn’t hear any either, though was up the far end of the terracing.

I did make a comment at one point that the rather rotund number 16 for Rose who came on as sub doesn’t look like he misses many meals, so apologies for body shaming or whatever it’s called this week. 😬

8 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

So continually calling players poofs is not homophobic language then.  Interesting take.

Just now, Marooneye said:

So continually calling players poofs is not homophobic language then.  Interesting take.

I’ve not heard that word since about 1988. Or the last time I watched the Lord Flasheart episode of Blackadder.

Look, it’s not acceptable these days, accept that. But is it any more offensive than calling someone a ‘c&@t’ that seems to get thrown about like confetti these days?

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I’ve not heard that word since about 1988. Or the last time I watched the Lord Flasheart episode of Blackadder.

Look, it’s not acceptable these days, accept that. But is it any more offensive than calling someone a ‘c&@t’ that seems to get thrown about like confetti these days?

as a queer football fan, absolutely it is. Shame on you for trying to minimise slurs

5 minutes ago, bigwullieac said:

as a queer football fan, absolutely it is. Shame on you for trying to minimise slurs

If you read my post I never said it was acceptable, but neither are a lot of shit that comes out of folks mouths, a lot of it from the players and management of teams, that can be clearly heard from the terracing.

Anyway, it’s a nice way for one of two folks to try and deflect from our magnificent victory today, once again I will state that it’s not acceptable, but sorry I can’t get overly outraged about it. 🤷

11 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

That's alarming. Of course it's worse. It's not even the same kind of thing. C**t is just an insult that doesn't mean anything. Homophobic slurs are attacking an identity. People get attacked in the street, killed, cut off by their family, discriminated against professionally and socially for being gay. Unless you're trying to argue that being a c**t is a way of life, your comparison is disturbingly off the mark.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

That's alarming. Of course it's worse. It's not even the same kind of thing. C**t is just an insult that doesn't mean anything. Homophobic slurs are attacking an identity. People get attacked in the street, killed, cut off by their family, discriminated against professionally and socially for being gay. Unless you're trying to argue that being a c**t is a way of life, your comparison is disturbingly off the mark.

Whatever, I’ve said all I want to on the matter, I’m not going to pretend to be overly offended by a playground word that I thought died a death about 30 years ago. If some are offended, absolutely appreciate that position too, but I don’t go in for faux outrage.

And interestingly, it appears a section of your own support are not immune to using such words if a comment in your own thread is in any way accurate. Glass houses and all that.

Seeing as I'm here now I'll talk about the game. It was an awful game of football, neither side could string three passes together. The referee was maybe the second-worst I've seen in my life. Not the nicest ground, left with the feeling that we were just a nuisance to the real business - the stock cars. In a match like that all that matters is finding a way to win and Cowdenbeath did that. They limited Rose to few real chances and they were just a little better going about their business throughout the game. It was a lousy day for us and a sore one to take, horrible going out the cup so early and playing so far below what we've seen this team do before. I've no problem extending congratulations to Cowdenbeath though, they deserved the win. Good luck in the next round.

Just now, Cowdenleith said:

Whatever, I’ve said all I want to on the matter, I’m not going to pretend to be overly offended by a playground word that I thought died a death about 30 years ago. If some are offended, absolutely appreciate that position too, but I don’t go in for faux outrage.

And interestingly, it appears a section of your own support are not immune to using such words if a comment in your own thread is in any way accurate. Glass houses and all that.

It's not faux outrage. It's justified outrage. I never heard it used today but if it was used, and I've no reason to doubt those who heard it, then it obviously didn't die 30 years ago. The beliefs that go with it certainly haven't died.

As for the whataboutery, I've never heard homophobic abuse from Rose supporters. The one time I can remember hearing it in a ground in many years was from young yins at Broxburn and a committee member told them to knock it off. If I heard it from a fellow Rose fan I'd ask them not to do it.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

It's not faux outrage. It's justified outrage. I never heard it used today but if it was used, and I've no reason to doubt those who heard it, then it obviously didn't die 30 years ago. The beliefs that go with it certainly haven't died.

As for the whataboutery, I've never heard homophobic abuse from Rose supporters. The one time I can remember hearing it in a ground in many years was from young yins at Broxburn and a committee member told them to knock it off. If I heard it from a fellow Rose fan I'd ask them not to do it.

Maybe misunderstood what I meant. The faux outrage would be mine.  If other people are justifiably outraged that is absolutely their prerogative.

I’m not dealing in whataboutery, just commenting on a post someone had about Rose fans using the same word.  It was in the General discussion thread, not the Rose thread, I was mistaken when I posted that a few minutes ago.