The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 05/07/2023 at 23:51, Ben Reilly said:

There's a free carpark right outside Lesser, which is a continuation if the even bigger free carpark outside Hampden.

Both will be available on Monday night and there will be plenty of space.

Enjoy the game.

Sorry to be a pest. Is the entrance from Kinghorn drive or somewhere else

3 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

£5m for Hampden is not a good deal in anyone's books. QP were indeed shafted by the SFA. 

Sure, we could have said no to the deal, and died as a club. 

The truth of the matter was accept the deal or go out of business. We chose the red pill.

We could have tried to sell the land to another buyer, but there was a big risk in it. Too big imo. Whoever was interested in the land would have known we needed rid of it in order to survive. It was just a case of who was going to get it on the cheap. Our own fault. Kicked a can twenty years down the road and it blew up in our faces. I hope we’re not about to go down a similar road of off-field short termism because the stakes and hurdles may be even higher. 

8 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Queens Park are trying very hard to become one of the most unlikeable clubs in Scotland. 

Morton on the other hand don't need to try very hard at all, it seems to come naturally to you.

56 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Queens Park are trying very hard to become one of the most unlikeable clubs in Scotland. 

Ultimately, I have no interest in what fans of other clubs think about us. The important people are the ones who care about the club and people within the local community. Other fans across Scotland saw us as a cuddly, non-threatening heritage project to be patronised. Their illusion of what we were is something that barely existed in reality over the past couple of decades.

We’re boiling piss because we’re an extra club threatening the position of established Championship sides. That’s really the long and short of it.

3 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I haven't spent a single second reading let alone post something on another team's thread here and I find it fascinating how some people are more "interested" in the future of QP than, you know, QP fans. 

Maybe because these other fans in a way can relate the issues thier own clubs have had in the past or currently going through and are seeing red flags. Lower league football fans at times like to know what's going on with other teams in the league. A decent football fan of any club doesn't want to see another club disappear or have the thier fans have the p"ss taken out of them and the wool pulled over thier eyes.

45 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Maybe because these other fans in a way can relate the issues thier own clubs have had in the past or currently going through and are seeing red flags. Lower league football fans at times like to know what's going on with other teams in the league. A decent football fan of any club doesn't want to see another club disappear or have the thier fans have the p"ss taken out of them and the wool pulled over thier eyes.

I understand that, and there are many great fans of all teams on here. However, we must recognise the other side too - the insecure fans that go on to other teams pages to try and take the Michael. Fair comment is good but sometimes comments are just plain nasty with no basis in reality.

Discussion good - abuse bad.

Thanks for your comment, foreverarover

10 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Yeah, completely get that and genuinely, thank you for your concern.  Haven't got even a passing interest in anything above the Championship as quite frankly the lower leagues represent the type of football that I grew up loving.

Unless you're part of a massive, united fan base of a club dependent on that fan base, or a  supporter of a German club, chances are that as a fan you will have very little say in, (and usually even less power to change), how your club is run.  

I think what perhaps grates a bit as a QP fan is that generally, with respect the Lesser debate, nothing that other teams fans' has said hasn't already been said before by QP fans.  As for the rest of the non-playing administration, personally there is, of course significant and potentially growing levels of unease.  

What isn't overly fair and what I don't think QP are being given credit for, is what they're doing on the playing side, which is significant investment and streamlining under a single philosophy the a) coaching staff at all levels and b) data gathering programme to identify and purchase (on decent length contracts) youth players for potential future sale, rather than rely on significant numbers of loanees from other clubs, (reference number of loanees last year to this year).

I can see it now....'any QP fan wishing to assist the sweeping of water from the pitch will be cheered on by the contents of the directors box and receive a 2pc discount voucher, redeemable off your 8th purchase from the food stall.....valid until 20:55 on 10th July 2023'

Edited by Spider1975

18 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Well perhaps you could explain your comment and we could then get a club spokesperson to respond. 

you are welcome to your opinion but as a QP fan I don't care what you think!!

41 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm sure they'll be fine though 

200.gif?cid=ff8740172wz0te8i6p0gc7ca9s7i

...so most of this sort of stuff is coming from fans of clubs who are pretty much established in the 2nd tier of Scottish football - some even aspire to be competing at the top level.

Unlike them, until very recently we were a near permanent fixture in the basement of Scottish Football - just occasionally popping up a level only to get papped back down after a season or two. This, of course was largely out own fault through insisting on maintaining our amateur status. I think it is fair to say that most of the fans were in support of this & indeed saw it as something made us unique in senior football. This was all fine while there was no realistic prospect of us falling any lower than League 2.

The advent of the Promotion & relegation from the SPFL, whilst welcome and long overdue, posed an existential threat to the club and as a result, the difficult and for some painful decision, to belatedly turn professional was taken. I don't think there was any particular expectation at the time that within 3 years we would troubling the top end of the Championship: nor was there any inkling that we would  be the beneficiary of significant investment from Willie Haughey.

I would prefer if the details his Lordship's support were more openly available but a cursory glance at where the money is being spent makes it very clear that it is not being used to fund a Gretna style "off the peg" promotion team. It is clearly going primarily towards staff and facilities to enable the club to develop its own homegrown talent some of whom will filter through to the first team and some of whom will move on & generate some income for the club. There have also been considerable efforts to attract new fans  - although unsurpisingly, due to us playing our "home" games 25 miles from home, that has not had much success. This coming season is crucial for this part of the project. 

As far as I can see, there is not a QP fan who does not harbour some doubts about the direction the club is going  - particularly the Lesser Hampden debacle, and of course we all worry about the sustainability of the club we support but I think it is also fair to say that most of us are hugely enthusiastic about the many positives  - not least some of the thrilling football we have played in the past couple of seasons.

I find it hard to believe that any of the many doubters on here would be calling on their club to refuse such investment if they were in a similar place to where we were a few years ago.

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Some Queen's Park fans don't seem to get the concep of a multi club forum.

Well, if you come into any team's forum with daft comments or ones which you cannot back up when challenged, you'll get a bit of stick. Same with every club's forum on here. We're no more thin skinned than anyone else.