The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Newbie here and following QP whilst in Scotland as they appear to be the most interesting team in the Championship. Been to the last few home games and found the stadium set up a bit strange. Has potential to be a great little stadium but the ‘royal box’ really lets it down. On the plus side the quality of the pitch looks excellent and enjoyed hearing the shouts from the fans 😆

Some great players in the team and really impressed with performances from the young goalie and left back Cammy? Also Hepburn’s technical ability and game awareness is levels above the rest but it’s often wasted with some players not able to see the killer pass or move the ball quicker rather than taking 3 touches (frustrating).  Would say hes more effective on the left rather than the right or maybe the absence of a right back makes it look like this. 

defence appears to be a work in progress. 

All in all I think they have potential to be a very good team. 

3 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Might be a better fit from a PR perspective, but Coyle's team won 17 league games last season and were a half away from winning the title. Nothing I've seen in the past couple of games (I wasn't at East Fife or Motherwell) suggests we're going to be anything close to that this season.

This is undoubtedly a stronger league this time around and therefore, 17 wins may be a harder tally to reach.

With only a handful of games under the new regime, we are a long way from the finished article; however, I remain happy with the direction of travel.  

3 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

This is undoubtedly a stronger league this time around and therefore, 17 wins may be a harder tally to reach.

With only a handful of games under the new regime, we are a long way from the finished article; however, I remain happy with the direction of travel.  

Think it’s going to be unfair to compare to the two seasons. Looks like we’ve finally decided what we’re going to be football wise. I’m also not sure you can replace the quality of Murray and Boateng without striking a wee bit lucky.

For me, it’s going to be about developing a style and making sure we don’t do anything daft like end up in a dogfight. You tend to get someone who doesn’t necessarily expect to be there in a wee bit of trouble at that end of the table. Hopefully it’s not us. 

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Think it’s going to be unfair to compare to the two seasons. Looks like we’ve finally decided what we’re going to be football wise. I’m also not sure you can replace the quality of Murray and Boateng without striking a wee bit lucky.

For me, it’s going to be about developing a style and making sure we don’t do anything daft like end up in a dogfight. You tend to get someone who doesn’t necessarily expect to be there in a wee bit of trouble at that end of the table. Hopefully it’s not us. 

I'm not expecting us to challenge this season. If we can establish ourselves as a Championship side, be in with a shout of a (promotion) play-off place into the second half of the campaign and bring some youth players through then I'll consider it to have been a success. My worry is that unless we strengthen the squad and bring in at least a couple of players with some experience of playing at this level then we'll be scrapping it out at the bottom of the table and could well go down.

7 hours ago, qpfc said:

True but the way we played that last third of the season was beyond dire. He simply could not coach a defence and once we were found out, he had no plan B. All he did was rotate the left winger constantly. I’d genuinely be more concerned had he still been the manager cause I’ve never seen us lose goals in the manner we did, including the amateur era. 

That’s not to say I don’t have question marks over this season but I’d bet there’s certainly a lot more tactical analysis compared to last season. It will be an interesting season regardless 

There might be a lot more tactical analysis, but whether or not that has any bearing on how the team actually performs remains to be seen.

I would agree that we were awful in the last third of last season, but saying the right things in interviews isn't necessarily a sign that we're going to improve.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Agree, I think this year will be completely different in that what's come before has been a stop-gap for the main event of the Veldman-Beuker partnership.

I don't think we'll ever really find out exactly what happened over the final few months of last season.  Not to wish to sound too much like Brendan Rodgers but, if in the name of long-term progress we have to regress a bit this year, so be it, and I do think that this year will be both entertaining and probably highly stressful.  That said, if the league is as close and competitive as last season's then any dip in form is likely to be punished pretty quickly.

For however many goals he scored, Murray seemed to be a natural when it came to his leadership role, he provided a presence which was something that we missed after he went.  The other senior squad members, it could be argued, didn't make that 'step up' to replace; indeed some, notably SM's mate Stewart Robson seemed to regress a bit, (though I appreciate it had been a long season and it's bloody difficult to keep the levels up consistently over that extended period).

It's a young and new team and whilst we've made some exciting signings, we don't seem to have that someone who brings that presence/leadership/experience (call it what you will). Robson seems to have fallen down the pecking order I'd assume that Longridge now has that responsibility, but I'd think it'll be hard for him to be too influential when playing at Right Back.  It is a tough, physical league, especially as we get into the depths of winter, so whilst I hope for the best, I do worry that we might see a repeat of the last part of last season at some point.  If we do, hopefully in Veldman we have someone who's likely to make significant, rather than tinkering, changes.

2 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

I'm not expecting us to challenge this season. If we can establish ourselves as a Championship side, be in with a shout of a (promotion) play-off place into the second half of the campaign and bring some youth players through then I'll consider it to have been a success. My worry is that unless we strengthen the squad and bring in at least a couple of players with some experience of playing at this level then we'll be scrapping it out at the bottom of the table and could well go down.

I guess its how you strike the balance. The more you "bring in at least a couple of players with some experience of playing at this level" the less you " bring some youth players through"

In Ferrie, Robson, Fox, Thomson, Longridge, Thomas, we have a fair amount of experience - there is obviously an element for risk in having roughly half your starting eleven 21 or under. I'd be happy to take that risk - we could always bring a couple in in January if things are looking a bit perilous.

Edited by Arachnophile

13 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

I guess its how you strike the balance. The more you "bring in at least a couple of players with some experience of playing at this level" the less you " bring some youth players through"

In Ferrie, Robson, Fox, Thomson, Longridge, Thomas, we have a fair amount of experience - there is obviously an element for risk in having roughly half your starting eleven 21 or under. I'd be happy to take that risk - we could always bring a couple in in January if things are looking a bit perilous.

Obviously it's about striking a balance, but the team needs to be competitive if young players are going to flourish at this level, and I'm worried there's not enough experience for that to be the case.

6 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

Obviously it's about striking a balance, but the team needs to be competitive if young players are going to flourish at this level, and I'm worried there's not enough experience for that to be the case.

To be fair some of our best players last season were young and relatively untested (Savoury and Boateng for example), while a couple of the more experienced guys like Naismith and Eze were absolutely rotten.

If we've done enough scouting and analysis then the guys who have come in should be good enough despite their age. Either way it's pretty clear that we have no plans to sign anyone over the age of about 22/23!

48 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

To be fair some of our best players last season were young and relatively untested (Savoury and Boateng for example), while a couple of the more experienced guys like Naismith and Eze were absolutely rotten.

If we've done enough scouting and analysis then the guys who have come in should be good enough despite their age. Either way it's pretty clear that we have no plans to sign anyone over the age of about 22/23!

That's a good point: experience counts for nothing if you don't have the ability. At the same time, I'd like to think we wouldn't pass up on the opportunity to sign a player because they don't meet our self-imposed age criteria. But I guess that's the direction the club is moving in at the moment.

15 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

…I'd assume that Longridge now has that responsibility, but I'd think it'll be hard for him to be too influential when playing at Right Back. 

I doubt if Longridge will hold that spot. Looks more likely to me that they know there’s not a perfect fit so they’re checking the various combinations for the central defence meanwhile and will stopgap the RB. Bannon slipped up at both goals but he, and Bruce, would both be capable in the attacking full back role that Veldman favours. Tommy Robson would still be my preference on the left for his attacking capability. 

Beuker was asked by the podcasters about his previous comment on playing the same group of players regularly. This is where Coyle got to but was subsequently criticised by some in the club because he didn’t bring on the prospects enough. Paddy Jarrett for example had a seven week spell, when the reserve league was paused and wasn’t starting in the Firsts, when he never kicked a ball but already we see him heavily involved with this team. I suspect something else we will have to adapt to is much more rotation of players and much less dependence on favourites. The central defence group for example, very likely imho to be adjusted routinely depending on the opponent. Goalkeepers too. This would help create a better team dynamic as everyone genuinely feels they have a role to play. When your coach is telling the media audience “we win as a group” and as a player you haven’t had a start in 2 months it’s very difficult mentally to jump into the team and believe you are the game changer.

Patience is the biggest virtue we fans can offer for now. I couldn’t help but conclude on Saturday that it was a very QP performance - lots of possession, some nice passages of play, plenty of good chances, short on finish quality. But as it’s a new squad and new coach I look forward to those ratios improving.

I'm actually looking forward to the new league season. I'm not expecting the dizzy heights we attained in the first part of last season but I'm certainly not expecting anything like the woeful performance towards the end. We have some good new talent coming through and we do need an 'extrovert'  who is able to inspire others out on the field. We've got a few exciting prospects and its will be interesting to watch how they develop under the Beuker/Veldman partnership.

Agree about the  SPFL Reserve League and Cup as good opportunity for youngsters to get some game time  but why do we only play one league game across the season?  Suppose 8 league games and a minimum of 4 cup games is better than nothing at all.

Some teams happy to enter reserve cup but not league  others happy to be in lowland league  perhaps🤣

23 minutes ago, lavvyheid said:

Agree about the  SPFL Reserve League and Cup as good opportunity for youngsters to get some game time  but why do we only play one league game across the season?  Suppose 8 league games and a minimum of 4 cup games is better than nothing at all.

Some teams happy to enter reserve cup but not league  others happy to be in lowland league  perhaps🤣

The number of games to be played was puzzling myself; both Robin and Marijn mentioning a total of 55 games over the entire season, so I now presume they are including the reserve league and cup.    

3 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

The number of games to be played was puzzling myself; both Robin and Marijn mentioning a total of 55 games over the entire season, so I now presume they are including the reserve league and cup.    

Depends whether you think like a lifelong QP fan or a Beuker. 36 in the league plus up to 6 in play-offs is 42. 4 in the LC, another 4 in the Challenge Cup (‘cos we’ll win that this year), at least two in a Scottish cup gets you to 52. Translate 52 into Dutch and you get 55. 🤷🏻‍♂️

6 hours ago, Arachnophile said:

Can they dae stands at all?

Apparently so. 

“Phase 1 will see the East Stand, state of the art dressing rooms, sponsors and directors’ area and time permitting, the pitch moved and resurfaced.

Phase 2 will see the new South Stand and a refit of the JB McAlpine Pavilion.

Plans remain on track to open season 2022/23 at Lesser Hampden.”

https://cruachancivils.com/lesser-hampden-redevelopment/

Daily Record Sport claiming we are hoping to take in Scott Williamson on loan. In L1 he would be a good option for us and would bag goals I feel.

How are you for striking options? If Scott goes out there must be other strikers inbound

Thoughts on him?

Screenshot_2023-08-03-12-23-36-49_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922