The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

6 hours ago, GloriousHoops said:

Spong Is a fantastic wee player. 

I "player cammed" him for about ten minutes during the Raith match and he reminded me of Paul Lambert. 

I know I know calm down but he's that type of player. 

Simple gives and then make yourself available again if an out ball is required.

He's also an excellent tackler, not just removing possession but retaining it too. 

He seems just a wee bit short of pace, I haven't seen him run very fast, or maybe his excellent positional awareness doesn't require him to be busting a gut. 

He's my current favourite Queens' player, by quite a wee way. 

Never a Wee Davie Anderson though

On 16/11/2023 at 16:55, Mission said:

Veldman's win ratio is 5 in 20, so 25%. That is with the better resources and in a league that should be far easier than Ross County. 

Is better resources in respect to RV? 

You might think I'm mad but I don't think that's a financially backed first team. If we had the money that other teams fans suggested we had there's plenty of players under the age of 25 suitable for the championship we would have went for. The fact every single player came in and no fee was reported anywhere for any of them makes me wonder if it's been left field picks on a budget. I just don't believe we pay more than established teams in the league . 

But it would make sense if that's the case, wasn't Beuker brought in to develop a country leading academy ? 

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I'd love to see the first team budget compared to the other 9 teams 

9 hours ago, SensibleSpider said:

Is better resources in respect to RV? 

You might think I'm mad but I don't think that's a financially backed first team. If we had the money that other teams fans suggested we had there's plenty of players under the age of 25 suitable for the championship we would have went for. The fact every single player came in and no fee was reported anywhere for any of them makes me wonder if it's been left field picks on a budget. I just don't believe we pay more than established teams in the league . 

But it would make sense if that's the case, wasn't Beuker brought in to develop a country leading academy ? 

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I'd love to see the first team budget compared to the other 9 teams 

Excuse the pun, you're bang on the money. As I've said before, the Committee are responsible for ensuring the first team comings and goings stay within a budget. I'll see your conspiracy and raise you...it's not a budget designed to get us into the Premiership. The focus is getting some players sold. I'm certain the Scottish Cup fiasco last year happened because the people who should have been checking the team sheets were in a frantic lather over their first big sale, Simon Murray. Eyes were on the wrong prize.

Beuker's recent acidic comment about 'what you get when you don't have a budget' confirms it.

On 17/11/2023 at 12:00, qpfc said:

I’m not swapping Wotherspoon for Spong at all. There’s an argument for Turner but the last month, he’s really showing us what he’s about now and knows where the back of the net is. Longridge, I’d swap but realistically our starting midfield consists of spong, Thomson and turner. Thomson if he had an ounce of composure in the final third would be in the Scottish premiership by now 

Yes, and then  there is the injuries question, that Anonymous Spider quite rightly talks about. We are all entitled to our views on this matter. We shall see what happens on the 9th December and who comes out on top in the midfield that day.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Excuse the pun, you're bang on the money. As I've said before, the Committee are responsible for ensuring the first team comings and goings stay within a budget. I'll see your conspiracy and raise you...it's not a budget designed to get us into the Premiership. The focus is getting some players sold. I'm certain the Scottish Cup fiasco last year happened because the people who should have been checking the team sheets were in a frantic lather over their first big sale, Simon Murray. Eyes were on the wrong prize.

Beuker's recent acidic comment about 'what you get when you don't have a budget' confirms it.

Yup, all this. 

I doubt very much that there's any team out there that doesn't want to find, develop and sell for a profit young talent; the difference, (or the USP) for QP is that this is the primary, (sole?) aim - any promotion/cup run etc will just be a bonus.  

The sale of Simon Murray both a) confirmed the system could work and b) got the club out of a Lesser shaped hole when it came to the potential promotion, (one that staying in the Championship means we've still got a foot in).  It's why I personally think that whilst in the halls of power, there may be some external public display of contrition, internally there won't be too much gnashing of teeth should we be demoted this year.  It's also the reason we'll stick with RV and also the reason he'll not be finding too many new faces walking through the door in January.

On 17/11/2023 at 18:33, Spider1975 said:

Another reason why letting Davidson go was a bit weird; decent both in midfield and at RB, so would have eased the pressure on Longridge and MacPherson, though I suppose whether he'd want another season as a potential non starter is another matter.

You can have him back if you want? I’m driving to Hampden later on anyway so can shove him in the boot.

15 hours ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Yup. Bold prediction which I may regret: Spiders to get 10 out of 15 points in December.

D’you know, I read this and instantly thought that it was crazy. However, after double checking the fixtures. I’m with you on this. Seen enough in recent games to suggest a corner could be turned. 

Hi

Anyone interested in buying a job lot of football programmes before I put them on eBay?! Over 1,000 in total, mainly QP over 550 home (1959-2013) and over 250 away (1980-2020) Scottish national team over 100 (1973-2011) and Scottish Cup semis and cup finals 60 (1974-2019)

I've got a full listing for anyone interested 👍

9 hours ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Hi

Anyone interested in buying a job lot of football programmes before I put them on eBay?! Over 1,000 in total, mainly QP over 550 home (1959-2013) and over 250 away (1980-2020) Scottish national team over 100 (1973-2011) and Scottish Cup semis and cup finals 60 (1974-2019)

I've got a full listing for anyone interested 👍

And your price is ?

Just a quick one.

Thanks (yet again) to the Spiders Talk gents for this week's episode and especially so for taking the time to interview Ellie Kane and highlight the progress of the Women's team this season.  

As fans, I'd assume it's pretty awkward to ask the 'difficult' questions, but I thought those referencing where the Women play were well put and was even more impressed at how honest Ellie herself was.  Good to know how much progress has been made so far; hoping for more in the future, especially as promotion to the SWPL is not unthinkable.

55 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Just a quick one.

Thanks (yet again) to the Spiders Talk gents for this week's episode and especially so for taking the time to interview Ellie Kane and highlight the progress of the Women's team this season.  

As fans, I'd assume it's pretty awkward to ask the 'difficult' questions, but I thought those referencing where the Women play were well put and was even more impressed at how honest Ellie herself was.  Good to know how much progress has been made so far; hoping for more in the future, especially as promotion to the SWPL is not unthinkable.

Any properly functioning football club would have contingency plans in place for promotion this season and, indeed, a plan for the longer term anyway. History tells us that it’s more likely that we’ll be scrambling around after the event, should it happen. 

It’s completely unthinkable that a football pitch cannot handle a game every fortnight. We can all marvel at the quality of the pitch at Lesser, but what’s the point of it when most of the action it sees is horticultural?

It’s another thing that doesn’t make sense about “the project.” A good quality all weather surface is obviously more suitable for a club which supposedly has community football at its heart. It can also make the club money. Instead, someone is being paid to tend a pitch that sees no action and a stand that lies constantly empty. The most expensive missed opportunity imaginable. 

We’re now at the stage where questions about next season have to be asked, not only for the women’s team, but the entire football club. It would be unacceptable for us to get towards the end of the season and not know. A return to the Southside should have ended all the uncertainty, but it’s simply brought more questions. 

3 hours ago, an86 said:

It’s completely unthinkable that a football pitch cannot handle a game every fortnight. We can all marvel at the quality of the pitch at Lesser, but what’s the point of it when most of the action it sees is horticultural?

Have made the point before that whilst I appreciate the cost of re-laying it, given it's rather infrequent use and now the paucity of upcoming Scotland fixtures, you'd wonder why, given their promotion push the club weren't making more of Lesser for the Women's team.  

3 hours ago, an86 said:

We’re now at the stage where questions about next season have to be asked, not only for the women’s team, but the entire football club. It would be unacceptable for us to get towards the end of the season and not know. A return to the Southside should have ended all the uncertainty, but it’s simply brought more questions. 

Maybe the boys at Spider's Talk could tempt Ms Dempster out of the office for a coffee, heck, maybe even a light lunch to find out, on the record, what the plans are? 

if you know what i mean eyebrow wiggle GIF