The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

9 hours ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Wonder how much the CAS / Elite status stuff has to do with the improbably young squad. 

Shouldn't matter. Elite status just means it's the top league of the academy structure. Rangers , Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs, hearts, Dundee Utd etc . I don't think they give a f**k about the percentage of young players. 

I would guess that now unless the club heavily focuses finances on the academy as before , the first team will start to look more like a normal team at this level after the next transfer window. 

10 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Our best days are about 130 years behind us and Scottish club sides are a joke in Europe. What Scottish managers currently looking for a job would you be keen on?

Scott Brown, or Stuart Kettlewell if we can buy his contract and lure him to the Championship. 

I'm not familiar with all of the names being spoken. I moved to Scotland only 9 years ago. That's why I said "I would like to think..." 

If it is going to be Malky Mackay, I'd have rather kept Veldman.

Would be a completely uninspiring appointment based solely on nepotism, and that's the nicest way I can put it. We'll be appointing our sixth manager in six years in the summer.

Edited by Dave
Typo

47 minutes ago, Dave said:

If it is going to be Malky Mackay, I'd have rather kept Veldman.

Would be a completely uninspiring appointment based solely on nepotism, and that's the nicest way I can put it. We'll be appointing our sixth manager in six years in the summer.

Nepotism, football and QP?  Never!

Scott Burns in The Daily Record is linking us with Scott Brown and Gary Bowyer. Would much rather either of them than Mackay. 

Edited to add that he mentions Charlie Mulgrew too, but I can't see us making the mistake of giving someone their first job again after neither Ellis nor Veldman worked out.

Edited by Zanetti

Firstly, Malky senior doesn’t have the clout at the club he once had. I also think Dempster would be very uncomfortable with somebody like Malky junior as a direct report. And I fully agree that after educating myself on the facts his behaviour and the range of offences, it would be completely incongruous to recruit him in any capacity. That said, every major decision the club has made in the last four years has been incongruous with the reasons and ethics I have retained my loyalty to Queen’s Park for over half a century. I think Malky Mackay junior returning to the club might be the last straw for me.

I was surprised and impressed at the way Raith Rovers fans and sponsors made their case when their board decided to recruit the unsavoury David Goodwillie. Like Mackay, I educated myself on the surroundings of the civil case against Goodwillie and his subsequent behaviour and attitude to the victim. Both are men of another time, and neither would be good representatives of a community club with a large family-based support which is what the Community/Foundation side of the club depends on. And what if one of our young stars went on one of these school visits and the headteacher asked how he/she should explain to parents why they should allow their kids to attend a QP game with the team’s manager being a noted mysoginistic, sexist racist. 

On a purely football basis, there are several other better options considering the development programme as well as the first team. The board just need to get off their lazy arses and find the best one. And don’t go running to Haughey either. I said Tam Courts the last time around, still a good bet. Neil MacFarlane also ticks a lot of boxes.

Losing the Director of Football, the Head Coach and the Director of The Academy all in the same week (ish) is remarkable. If it’s a cunning plan by the club and a top team are waiting in the wings to inspire our playing staff to greater things, awesome! If all three of these posts have been vacated by the individuals, because they’ve seen the inside, we’re down a very deep well.

I would like to think that Veldman's sacking was not a spur of the moment decision and that the delay over the last few weeks was to allow some scouting and feelers to get to work in order to make a pretty quick appointment going forward. To be going into a transfer window without a coach/manager would signal a lack of desire to stay in this league.

14 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I would like to think that Veldman's sacking was not a spur of the moment decision and that the delay over the last few weeks was to allow some scouting and feelers to get to work in order to make a pretty quick appointment going forward. To be going into a transfer window without a coach/manager would signal a lack of desire to stay in this league.

Easy to say in hindsight but his recent press conferences gave the impression of a man who knew the chop was imminent, (Haughey's car being seen at HQ further evidence that moves were afoot).  With his top cover in Beuker departing then I'm assuming the ICT game was make or break.  The announcement came very quickly after FT, even more so given how tardy QP decisions and official communications are.  It's just a bit of a shame, (so far) that Haughey's week of the long knives hasn't extended to Dempster too - then again Christmas is just round the corner innit?

On one hand it would be very surprising given the speed of developments at the w/end that they hadn't already sounded someone out about taking over, but then again it would be very surprising if QP for once, had a strategy in place.  The worry is that the easy go to would be someone like Mackay.  What's that phrase again, act in haste, repent at leisure?

2 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Losing the Director of Football, the Head Coach and the Director of The Academy all in the same week (ish) is remarkable. If it’s a cunning plan by the club and a top team are waiting in the wings to inspire our playing staff to greater things, awesome! If all three of these posts have been vacated by the individuals, because they’ve seen the inside, we’re down a very deep well.

I fully agree with the rest of your post, but I also think despite the timing if it all there's a third more likely option than either of these. Beuker got offered a job he couldn't turn down, Spiers is 60 years old and simply decided to step down, and Veldman was shown the door because he hadn't won a league game in almost 4 months. I don't think there's necessarily some master plan to fix all of the club's issues nor do I suspect anything malicious is going on.

35 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

Well there is a suprise.

Watching his goal (ICT's third) again on the highlights package reminded me of a similarly brilliantly worked goal with a statuesque defence, scored just under a year ago by G Savory vs Hamilton.  How time's change!

13 hours ago, spiderman1867 said:

I'm hearing from a good source tonight that malky is the man.Do  think that's good or bad? I don't know. But I'f its to stabilise our status in the championship then yes.But again let's look at that shit show yesterday, we always seem to blame it on our young players/squad. Should we maybe also look at out experience players, ie our captain, yes he talks well after we get pumped,but what does he actually do in games?He's no pace,never takes a man on,he's only 28.He puts in 1 cross into the box and the other useless 15 are hopeless "dinks" that go straight into their keepers hands.Paton?where do we start on this one?His 4 goals in 1 game against  elgin are buying this guy time.He can't trap a bag of sand.Dont start me on the left back ,he's slept at every goal we concede at his side.We all moan and shout about our young squad,have a look at Airdries average age,there's is younger than ours.

If we are blaming everything on  our "young players ", who are we blaming?.mcpherson?bannon?reid?

Let'go to midfield,the 3 Jack's,are they still classed as young?

Then we have our captain, who's a very good speaker after games,but does f**k all during games..

Sorry not for me.i bought into the beuker model ,promote from within but when you have senior players passing the buck, the games fucked 

Very unfair on Thomas there. First game against Raith he scores the second before being taken off. Second game he created the second for Paton before being taken off. Lose both games 3-2.

Against Ayr he is kept on till the end and does brilliantly to create equalizer for Paton.

Yes he could be more consistent but he is not the problem. Without him and Paton's goals we would be in an even worse state.

4 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Scott Burns in The Daily Record is linking us with Scott Brown and Gary Bowyer. Would much rather either of them than Mackay. 

Edited to add that he mentions Charlie Mulgrew too, but I can't see us making the mistake of giving someone their first job again after neither Ellis nor Veldman worked out.

Scott Brown isn't much better than a rookie manager, given his one stint was short and unsuccessful. Had my doubts about Bowyer last season, and think Dundee made the league harder than it should have been, but think he would help us out of trouble. 

11 minutes ago, RichRJohnstone said:

Scott Brown isn't much better than a rookie manager, given his one stint was short and unsuccessful. Had my doubts about Bowyer last season, and think Dundee made the league harder than it should have been, but think he would help us out of trouble. 

Think unsuccessful is a touch unfair. He had a solid first season at a decent level and was sacked after six games this season. It’s even more ruthless down there than up here.

I’d also point to someone managing successfully at a higher level, like Stephen Robinson, who has had nowhere close to the season that Brown had in the English lower leagues. We’ve seen a few guys go down there and absolutely tank, which he definitely didn’t do. 

24 minutes ago, RichRJohnstone said:

Brown strikes me as the Owen Coyle man manager type, he'd probably get the players on board. With an assistant who's a bit more tactically astute I think he could do well.

Edited by Zanetti

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

I would like to think that Veldman's sacking was not a spur of the moment decision and that the delay over the last few weeks was to allow some scouting and feelers to get to work in order to make a pretty quick appointment going forward.

Am sure you're right. I guess his departure was being blocked by Beuker. Hopefully Haughey (or whoever) have been on the case since he departed for Ajax.

Would be happy with Bowyer, Brown and possibly Courts. Am sure they would expect some resources being available to strengthen. Would say anyone but Mackay but imo there are at least another half dozen poor potentials.

14 minutes ago, an86 said:

Think unsuccessful is a touch unfair. He had a solid first season at a decent level and was sacked after six games this season. It’s even more ruthless down there than up here.

I’d also point to someone managing successfully at a higher level, like Stephen Robinson, who has had nowhere close to the season that Brown had in the English lower leagues. We’ve seen a few guys go down there and absolutely tank, which he definitely didn’t do. 

Agreed.  Unfortunately I spend a fair bit of time down south and in doing so have ended up watching a lot of L1 football; the quality ain't great but it's extremely competitive and thus for experienced managers, let alone those just starting their managerial career, it's vicious - case in point, go and have a look at how many managers Charlton have had in the last two and a bit years.  Despite this, I'd much prefer, given the predicament we're in, someone with a bit more experience.