The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

I didn't say anything here until now in order not to ruin the "Sheriff" hype but letting Sheridan go is absolutely the right decision. I was really worried that he would be offered an extension, so I'm relieved. To be clear, he did his job for us to the best of his ability but there's absolutely no indication that he can keep doing that for a full season at his age. 

6 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I didn't say anything here until now in order not to ruin the "Sheriff" hype but letting Sheridan go is absolutely the right decision. I was really worried that he would be offered an extension, so I'm relieved. To be clear, he did his job for us to the best of his ability but there's absolutely no indication that he can keep doing that for a full season at his age. 

You really shouldn't have said that. It is now certain that he will sign for Morton/Ayr /Livingston etc  & score half a dozen goals against us  next season.

Spoiler

Seriously though, you are probably right.

4 hours ago, pmonigatti said:

If being capable of checking a player registration system to check if they are cup tied or not is the skill then I reckon I could revolutionise the club.

You'd be a shoo-in for the next club Chairman and photo opportunity grabber.

24 minutes ago, QP's in my DNA said:

You'd be a shoo-in for the next club Chairman and photo opportunity grabber.

Put me on the list next time the election comes around!

Overall, not many surprises with the squad update. I wouldn’t have kept Mckinstry personally but equally I can see why Davidson might want to keep him around. Motherwell fans seemed to think he was fairly competent at premiership level last season and like what’s been said on here already, expectations when he signed may have been higher than it should of been, considering his small CV playing men’s first team football. A proper pre season hopefully allows us to see the best of him. He was playing the number 8 role in midfield in his fleeting appearances towards the end of the season just there and looked a lot more comfortable so maybe there’s a plan in place for him. I trust Davidson’s judgement 

I’m hopeful Savoury will sign on and I’ll absolutely buzzing to see him back on the pitch again. The thought of Savoury, Thomas and Paton linking up together in full flow is a pretty frightening prospect. Here’s hoping he comes back the same player after a year out 

Robson has been a great servant but i think his departure has come at the right time. Never injured, always gave 100% and has been part of every moment in the pro era. Could see him pitching up at a championship side like a Morton or even a Hamilton/Inverness depending on who wins the playoffs. 

Really solid base of players to work from but it’s critical we don’t have another catastrophe with recruitment similar of last summer. 

Supposedly, Savoury was worried that he wouldn't be offered a contract due to his injury so I'd imagine he'd jump at the chance to sign. We've supported him for a full year and he comes over as a terrific lad, so I don't see a problem. 

Robson has been pretty good for us over the seasons - sometimes brilliant, never bad. I’d like to have seen him stay. The Sheriiff was superb over the run in but is getting on and maybe a year’s contract would have been a risk given his injury history. I would hope we could sign him on short term deals if he can’t secure another club. He deserves a break.

I feel overall that McKinstry gets more hate than he deserves to be honest. For some reason I don't see many people saying this but I thought Turner was consistently worse than McKinstry through the season. McKinstry looks like he has some technical ability, but just lacks the experience in the senior game to me. If given another wee while he could be a good rotation or potentially even first team player in this league I think. Also, if we can get him on a 2-year deal then there's a potential selling value. If there's a good salesman at qp (which I doubt tbh) then we could be looking at a fair load of cash for a "young, technically gifted midfielder with EPL experience"

Otherwise with regards to those offered new terms, I'm desperate to have Savoury back, and Longridge would also be nice since I think he brings an experience and a passable ability on the park, even if he is dodgy sometimes. Really hope Bruce stays as well as he looked good I thought, but clearly his chance at first-team football has been taken by Scott, so I'd understand why he might look for a new club.

Sheridan leaving seemed an inevitability, whether it was now or next summer, somewhat sad to see him go but I'd hope we have someone lined up to take his place. Robson is also a shame, he's been quietly ticking along in our squad for a good while and never really looked bad. Don't think he fits in current system though, especially if Scott is the first choice wing-back. Can't say I feel too strongly about either Heraghty or Jarrett, a shame it never really worked out for either of them I suppose, but this should give them an opportunity to get more first-team football elsewhere

9 hours ago, starshot131 said:

I feel overall that McKinstry gets more hate than he deserves to be honest. For some reason I don't see many people saying this but I thought Turner was consistently worse than McKinstry through the season. McKinstry looks like he has some technical ability, but just lacks the experience in the senior game to me. If given another wee while he could be a good rotation or potentially even first team player in this league I think. Also, if we can get him on a 2-year deal then there's a potential selling value. If there's a good salesman at qp (which I doubt tbh) then we could be looking at a fair load of cash for a "young, technically gifted midfielder with EPL experience"

Otherwise with regards to those offered new terms, I'm desperate to have Savoury back, and Longridge would also be nice since I think he brings an experience and a passable ability on the park, even if he is dodgy sometimes. Really hope Bruce stays as well as he looked good I thought, but clearly his chance at first-team football has been taken by Scott, so I'd understand why he might look for a new club.

Sheridan leaving seemed an inevitability, whether it was now or next summer, somewhat sad to see him go but I'd hope we have someone lined up to take his place. Robson is also a shame, he's been quietly ticking along in our squad for a good while and never really looked bad. Don't think he fits in current system though, especially if Scott is the first choice wing-back. Can't say I feel too strongly about either Heraghty or Jarrett, a shame it never really worked out for either of them I suppose, but this should give them an opportunity to get more first-team football elsewhere

Tend to agree with you on this. I think the extra flak that McKinstry gets is because of expectation rather than anything else. He does need to improve his game but he certainly needs time to do that properly which is difficult to do in a team that has struggled as a whole over the season. I hope folk can take into account that both McKinstry and Turner are 21 years old with very little senior football experience but with time both can develop into good pros. 

It'll be interesting if the club are likely to bring in another striker where that player may come from. I can't think of any obvious candidates from the top division dropping down or from league 1 stepping up similarly to Paton so I think we'll see someone unknown to us completely coming from down south. Possibly another academy type like Turner/Spong/Tizzard.

10 hours ago, starshot131 said:

Agree with most of what you said although I think Turner was asked to play a deep midfield role that didn't play to his strengths. When he had the opportunity to get forward he usually performed well and added an edge to our attacking threat.  Likewise sad to see Tommy go but when we played with a back four it looked to me at least that he was getting caught out defensively more often than a player of his experience should.

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Likewise sad to see Tommy go but when we played with a back four it looked to me at least that he was getting caught out defensively more often than a player of his experience should.

I put this down to a number of factors, the most heavily weighted of this being Veldman's tactics, as let's face it, the entire team was being caught out for the first six months of the season.  I fail to believe you become a poor player overnight and he always was Mr Consistent, but certainly as I've stated before, it seemed there was a drop off after Murray left, (I believe they were mates off the park as well as on).  

The first 6 months of the 22/23 campaign with him, Thomas, Savoury and Murray tearing teams apart will live long in the memory - along with many of his goals for the club.

As you said, it's been the tactical change that's done for him rather than his ability.  Wish him all the best for the future.

16 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

The new Ayr United stand. 

The terrace with seating is what we should have built and what many fans suggested. 

IMG_4437.jpeg

Something similar is what we should have built on the West side of Lesser instead of the Royal Box.

2 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

£4.5m for 4,000 spectators.  

Capacity of The City stadium, what, under 1,000.  How much did we spend on it again?

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

That EK stadium proposal looks like pie in the sky nonsense. I'll believe it when I see it.

Think they are backed by the Keane family. Local builders who have their fingers in many pies and are well connected with the local council. I reckon it would get built but probably in a phased manner. Eg. 1000 seater for L2, maybe 2000 if they get to L1 etc.  

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

That EK stadium proposal looks like pie in the sky nonsense. I'll believe it when I see it.

in fairness, we are experts on pie in the sky nonsense stadium proposals

On 14/05/2024 at 20:53, starshot131 said:

Is this one to appeal to the disillusioned livy fans?

To be honest I thought the first away kit you did was alright, this one as well tho. Mental away kits always get a thumbs up from me

Cheers for the feedback, I have never seen a QP away kit in yellow and I quite like the colour.