The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Isn't Louis the last man standing from the raft of players signed by Ray McKinnon back at the start of season 2020-21? How time flies! I'm glad he's signed on again after he proved to be effective in a number of roles in what has been a wild season.

2 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

It's an interesting thought.

Lesser, unless it is purely a training facility, is clearly unfit for purpose, or at the very least, unfit for the assumed ambitions of the Men's first team playing operation.  I would surmise that there is no clear plan to redevelop a stadium that is essentially 12 months old into a multi-use facility - capable of accommodating the demands of both the Mens and Women's first team matches, training and the requirements of the SFA for the SMNT and SWNT.  

Even if there was a plan for redevelopment, I doubt whether sufficient enough funds exist in order to make that a reality without the input from an as yet [too] small support, or, more likely, a further significant injection of cash from a benefactor/ further commercial sponsorship.  I fear the latter would only further dilute the influence of the current support, if indeed that influence exists in significant form at the moment.  

The fact that the mis-management of this has a) gone unpunished and b) been allowed to happen in the first place baffles me. 

So we are now, again, throwing away money to rent a stadium which really is unfit for Championship level football, who's owners will obviously repurpose it for concerts etc at their will, on a season by season basis and we do this in the knowledge that should they so wish, the SFA can pull the plug.  I appreciate the historic relationship between the club and the SFA, but it feels a lot like Stockholm Syndrome is beginning to kick-in.  

The pull of home will always be a strong bond to break but (and not that I am advocating this as yet), the arguments for fully striking out on our own are becoming difficult to ignore.

What makes you think that we are paying rent to play at Hampden/ the deal is we let the SFA use Lesser for the Scottish team to train there before games at Hampden and we play our home games at Hampden in return from September onwards.

1 hour ago, Dooflick said:

What makes you think that we are paying rent to play at Hampden/ the deal is we let the SFA use Lesser for the Scottish team to train there before games at Hampden and we play our home games at Hampden in return from September onwards.

Led to believe that the Championship away supports at Hampden are where the benefit comes in. Haven’t heard any figures, but believe we are paying them. Let’s be honest, we’re getting far more benefit from this than they are. None of it is viable in the long term, though. We’ve kicked the can down the road and people who had little involvement in creating the situation will be left to navigate a way out of it. 

League Cup pots and seedings out. Draw tomorrow.  What would be the ideal group (of 5)

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park
16 Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage
Match Day 1: Weekend of July 13/14
Match Day 2: Midweek of July 16/17
Match Day 3: Weekend of July 20/21
Match Day 4: Midweek of July 23/24
Match Day 5: Weekend of July 27/28

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

Just now, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

League Cup pots and seedings out. Draw tomorrow.  What would be the ideal group (of 5)

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

I'd go for Ross County (my nearest venue), Arbroath ('cos it's a great day out), Stenny (for letting us use their stadium) and Clyde (never get tired of beating them)

3 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

And that in purest form, eloquently surmises the disconnect between the Committee and reality - the active decision making to want to trot out the staff in 'gucci' training kit (that very few will see and even less will purchase) just so they can say we wear Adidas and in doing so, happily pee-ing all over the identity and history of the club.  

And we'll do it all in front of 20 prawn sandwich eating Committee members' wives tennis partners sat on padded seats in an elevated cricket pavilion, rather than in front of 1500 genuine, ticket-buying supporters.

We are a very, very frustrating club to support at times

Harsh.

The previous kit supplier were dumped due to their inability to adequately supply kit for all teams.

My opinion of the present home top is that it is poor at best.

However, player welfare in being suitably attired at their place of work, trumps my opinion of the top.

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

Pot 1 - Ross County ( Nice away day to the Highlands).

Pot 3 - Arbroath ( Nice beer)

Pot 4 - Peterhead ( Never been to their ground)

Pot 5 - Elgin ( Visit Family)

10 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

Harsh.

The previous kit supplier were dumped due to their inability to adequately supply kit for all teams.

Adidas are not supplying kit for all teams

image.png.9a22b4a765e227938f862984bc8ac09f.png

image.png.c56983130e23c40e59427305e605165f.png

10 minutes ago, CathcartSkins said:

My opinion of the present home top is that it is poor at best.

However, player welfare in being suitably attired at their place of work, trumps my opinion of the top.

Are Adidas the only company that can make & supply decent training gear?

33 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

In previous years being in pot 2 meant an away game vs pots 1 and 4, and home ties against pots 3 and 5, even though they don't publicise that information anyway.

Assuming they stick to the same format it means there's thankfully no risk of having to host the likes to Aberdeen or Hibs at Lesser Hampden, even though that would obviously be hilarious.

44 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

Livingston would be ideal from pot 1 if we are looking to do well in the group, but an Aberdeen/Hibs away day would be good fun. In the rest I would like Arbroath, Stenhousemuir & Clyde. 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Out of those Teams I would want Ross County, Arbroath, Spartans and Cl*de.

Edited by sr1867

On 26/05/2024 at 14:51, an86 said:

Whilst it’s welcome that we’re playing in the Southside, there are still far more questions than answers here.

We cannot continue to go year by year, not knowing what is happening. If we’re ever promoted, there will rightly be strong opposition to the sporting advantage that we’d be gaining as a result of our own incompetence in terms of not building Lesser Hampden. You’d be looking at a seven figure advantage over rivals on the ticket money front. Whatever we think of what’s gone before, that simply is not going to fly. 

If Hampden isn’t long term and Lesser isn’t fit for purpose, which despite our attempts to turd polish, it quite obviously isn’t, my worry is that our long term future may be away from our spiritual home. We need answers on contingency plans and long term vision, because we don’t have it.

This is all of our own doing, whether getting the build wrong or being scared to say “no” to certain people and organisations, we once again find our fate out of our own hands. Making the same mistakes as twenty odd years ago and expecting different results. 

I am as disappointed as any other Q.P. fan with the ' in limbo ' situation at Lesser. So far as looking towards the top flight is concerned, if we ever get there, the prospect of playing the Old Firm in a packed Hampden would be a real game changer for our club's financial viability.

The revenue that would create could then be used to upgrade the 'City Stadium' and/or the squad.

I don't really get why you reckon this wouldn't fly. If I am reading between the lines correctly, it might be the case that it suits the SFA to allow the 'status quo' to continue, after all, they are getting something out of this too. 

8 minutes ago, Cyclops van Gogh 1867 said:

I am as disappointed as any other Q.P. fan with the ' in limbo ' situation at Lesser. So far as looking towards the top flight is concerned, if we ever get there, the prospect of playing the Old Firm in a packed Hampden would be a real game changer for our club's financial viability.

The revenue that would create could then be used to upgrade the 'City Stadium' and/or the squad.

I don't really get why you reckon this wouldn't fly. If I am reading between the lines correctly, it might be the case that it suits the SFA to allow the 'status quo' to continue, after all, they are getting something out of this too. 

We’re currently getting away with it because it’s not skewing the hugely in our favour. Say we go up and have three home games against the OF, it could equate to as much as £2.5million in gate receipts. Maybe more. That would give us a substantial sporting advantage over every other team around us. The cause of that advantage will have been our inability to build a stadium properly. The question, quite legitimately, will be why should we be benefitting from our own incompetence and should the national association be an accessory to that? 

People will argue about us being shafted out of Hampden. True, to a point. However, it was ultimately our naivety that brought us to the position that allowed us to be shafted. This problem is almost guaranteed to become a crisis again. 

2 hours ago, Spider Force said:

Pot 1 - Ross County ( Nice away day to the Highlands).

Pot 3 - Arbroath ( Nice beer)

Pot 4 - Peterhead ( Never been to their ground)

Pot 5 - Elgin ( Visit Family)

2 hours ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Pot 1
1 Dundee 
2 Aberdeen
3 Hibernian
4 Motherwell
5 St Johnstone
6 Ross County
7 Livingston
8 Dundee United

Pot 2
9 Raith Rovers
10 Partick Thistle
11 Airdrieonians
12 Greenock Morton
13 Dunfermline Athletic
14 Ayr United
15 Queen’s Park

Pot 3
17 Arbroath
18 Falkirk
19 Hamilton Academical
20 Alloa Athletic
21 Montrose
22 Cove Rangers
23 Kelty Hearts
24 Queen of the South

Pot 4
25 Annan Athletic
26 Stirling Albion
27 Edinburgh City
28 Stenhousemuir
29 Peterhead
30 The Spartans
31 Dumbarton
32 East Fife

Pot 5
33 Forfar Athletic
34 Elgin City
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Clyde
37 Stranraer
38 East Kilbride
39 Buckie Thistle
40 Brechin City

Match dates

Group stage

Second round
Weekend of August 17/18

I have selected my five purely on away day potential.

1. St Johnstone (a new away day)

2. Ayr (a good away day and they are beatable)

3.  Arbroath (as per Ayr)

4. Annan (never been. Heard it is a good day out)

5. Brechin (Glebe Park and the iconic hedge, need we say anymore?)

12 minutes ago, an86 said:

We’re currently getting away with it because it’s not skewing the hugely in our favour. Say we go up and have three home games against the OF, it could equate to as much as £2.5million in gate receipts. Maybe more. That would give us a substantial sporting advantage over every other team around us. The cause of that advantage will have been our inability to build a stadium properly. The question, quite legitimately, will be why should we be benefitting from our own incompetence and should the national association be an accessory to that? 

People will argue about us being shafted out of Hampden. True, to a point. However, it was ultimately our naivety that brought us to the position that allowed us to be shafted. This problem is almost guaranteed to become a crisis again. 

I can understand why fans of other teams may not be happy about it, but ultimately I don't think it's any different to other clubs in the division not owning their stadium - Livingston, Falkirk, and Hamilton off the top of my head.

At the same time, there's nothing stopping any other club in Scotland from coming to an agreement to play at a much larger home venue and gain the same benefit. This obviously won't happen though as no matter what anyone else claims, it's nowhere near the same as us playing at Hampden given the historical ties.

For what it's worth I hate the idea of being surrounded by thousands of Old Firm fans, and I'd much rather Lesser were actually fit for purpose!

10 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I have selected my five purely on away day potential.

1. St Johnstone (a new away day)

2. Ayr (a good away day and they are beatable)

3.  Arbroath (as per Ayr)

4. Annan (never been. Heard it is a good day out)

5. Brechin (Glebe Park and the iconic hedge, need we say anymore?)

Hate to say it but I think it's exceedingly unlikely we'll get drawn against Ayr given we're in the same pot as them

13 minutes ago, an86 said:

If a.n.other club (for the sake of argument let's say Edinburgh City) was taken over by a Saudi billionaire and they came to an arrangement with the SRU to play their home matches at Murrayfield, would there be wailing and gnashing of teeth from other SPFL clubs?.... Probably 

Would the other SPFL clubs be in a position to spit the dummy out over the money Edinburgh City would get in gate receipts against the Old Firm and be in a position to do something about it?....I doubt it 

Should Edinburgh City give a shit if they tried?...Nope!

We are in a unique position which is unlikely to ever be mirrored by any other club. Yes, there have been poor decisions and there's been naivety along the way, but I don't think we should get too tangled up  in worrying what other clubs may or may not think of us.