The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

10 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

Aren’t the two newer stands at Inverness still technically “temporary” stands? I think these things can last a long time if put up right. 

Not sure if they are temporary or not (they certainly have that feel underfoot) but ICT built them both in 47 days!

Ross County built their 'away' stand, converted the 'Jail End' to all seated and relayed the pitch over the close season in 2012 (see photos).

It can be done it the willpower, and the money, is there. We don't seem to have either at the moment.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The tone of the article is brutal but it's Keith Jackson writing about Rangers for the Record - what do you expect?

Realistically, there's no way we could have gone toe to toe with Rangers on this. So... if they've given up the Hampden agreement, that means we're going to be playing at Lesser. If we're at Lesser that would need to mean temp stands?? Hopefully on the Rangers dollar...

I could certainly stomach that. If the kicker was a 'proper' stand development starting as soon as Rangers depart the scene, that would be even better. 

And hopefully all the good will we're building up in the interim can be cashed back in to get the necessary plans and certificates battered through for Lesser 3.0?  

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

On the other hand, I think the ones lapping up the Southside Gretna act might have a big fall coming soon. Hopefully the club gets through it all and still ends up with a ground to play at too.

The Gretna stuff is the most lazy, tedious guff going. I’d have thought almost being relegated to League One might have killed that one. We’d be in the top six in the Premiership by now if Haughey wanted us to be. Gretna were buying first teamers directly from Aberdeen and Dundee United. We’re mostly bringing in young guys and players from a team relegated to League One last season. Rudden, an on loan sub for a Championship side last season, is probably our marquee signing. 

If you can point me in the direction of anyone who has been uncritically “lapping up” any of this, I’d be very interested to meet them. I don’t think I know of any QP fan who hasn’t been scathing of the off-field shenanigans. I don’t mind folk being critical of us, because there’s a lot to be critical of, but I’d expect folk chipping in from the outside to at least have some grasp of what they’re talking about. 

The Gretna stuff was when you were buying your way through League 2, and to an extent League 1, with a full-time squad that the club size clearly couldn't support. There's no suggestion that's what's happening now.

I also went to great lengths to note that lots of your fans were skeptical and critical, but there were also many being very obnoxious about any suggestion that Simon Murray wasn't simply playing in the seaside leagues for the love of the game.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

but there were also many being very obnoxious about any suggestion that Simon Murray wasn't simply playing in the seaside leagues for the love of the game.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Gretna stuff was when you were buying your way through League 2, and to an extent League 1, with a full-time squad that the club size clearly couldn't support. There's no suggestion that's what's happening now.

I also went to great lengths to note that lots of your fans were skeptical and critical, but there were also many being very obnoxious about any suggestion that Simon Murray wasn't simply playing in the seaside leagues for the love of the game.

With regards to the Simon Murray stuff, surely his sale would render any gretna accusations worthless. Obviously we weren't paying him that much if Ross county could double his wage mid-season. 

Something else to remember about Murray is that he'd been playing out in South Africa and very few teams were willing to give him a chance. He barely played for us in league 1 because of injury, and in league 2 he was far from our best player. He had a great season in the championship, then retrospectively people assumed we must have payed him megabux to come play in league 2

But also yes if you can find anyone spouting shite about it I'll be happy to retract my statement, I just don't remember anyone saying anything like it at the games 

Temp stands (even if already sized and lined up for rent) still require a planning application to be made & approved and there would be a load of work needed at the ground for entry/exit, kiosks and toilets etc.

Not feasible for QPFC to have all that done by mid September. Morton and Ayr fans should be expecting a very small ticket allocation 

Edited by Spider Rico

33 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Temp stands (even if already sized and lined up for rent) still require a planning application to be made & approved and there would be a load of work needed at the ground for entry/exit, kiosks and toilets etc.

Not feasible for QPFC to have all that done by mid September. Morton and Ayr fans should be expecting a very small ticket allocation 

There's no mention on the Council's planning website about applications for temporary stands at Lesser Hampden that I can find. I think we all know how slow the wheels of local government administration operate and that's before any complaints that may be made about any new structure (temporary or otherwise.)

Since that article came out last night it has surprised me (probably shouldn’t) that the club haven’t released a statement in relation to it.

What this identifies for me is the urgent requirement for the club SLO positions to be filled as soon as possible.

This would be a prime example of an occasion where supporters can contact the SLO and they can provide a response or at the very least pass on the supporters frustrations to prompt a response from the club directly.

It's going to get quite crowded on Haughey Hill in Letherby Drive on match days. I wonder if the police will step in?

Actually so far all we've got to go on is a sub literate article in the Daily Ranger but it does seem to be worryingly detailed in parts. I'm sure our president and committee will clarify the situation today.

That was an utterly abject performance last night - in terms of men v boys it  reminded me very much of the Germany v Scotland match - even the scoreline was the same.  
I could accept some of the other nonsense (not the jousting viewing box though) if performances were improving but I don’t think one of our old teams of amateurs could have played any worse last night. 

so here we are about 4 years in from the sale of Hampden and we have a tiny one-sided stadium to play in, a shite playing squad and have gone from having £5 million in the bank to having liabilities on the balance sheet of > £10 million?

Really hard to be optimistic here. 

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

but there were also many being very obnoxious about any suggestion that Simon Murray wasn't simply playing in the seaside leagues for the love of the game.

The whole project was to attract, develop and sell-on, youth, so in that regard perhaps Simon Murray was a bit of an anomaly, however you've got to start somewhere and as @starshot131 states he was rehabilitating from an ACL injury with no contract renewal offered (I believe) at Bidvest Wits.  As far as I'm aware nobody else in Scotland, (or potentially anywhere else) were offering him anything, so essentially QP took a punt and one which looked pretty dodgy when that ACL injury re-appeared on a foggy afternoon in Montrose in L1.  

Nobody is suggesting he wasn't being relatively well paid, but I'd suggest at the time he was anomalous within the wider squad  and evidently a very quick fire-sale for reportedly £50k on a bus somewhere on the A9 north-bound would suggest that the club were a) unable to match, let alone better any external offers and b) potentially looking to get that wage bill off the books sharpish.  

54 minutes ago, CTQP1867 said:

so here we are about 4 years in from the sale of Hampden and we have a tiny one-sided stadium to play in, a shite playing squad and have gone from having £5 million in the bank to having liabilities on the balance sheet of > £10 million?

Hey! We've (allegedly) got very nice changing rooms too.

29 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

The whole project was to attract, develop and sell-on, youth, so in that regard perhaps Simon Murray was a bit of an anomaly, however you've got to start somewhere and as @starshot131 states he was rehabilitating from an ACL injury with no contract renewal offered (I believe) at Bidvest Wits.  As far as I'm aware nobody else in Scotland, (or potentially anywhere else) were offering him anything, so essentially QP took a punt and one which looked pretty dodgy when that ACL injury re-appeared on a foggy afternoon in Montrose in L1.  

Nobody is suggesting he wasn't being relatively well paid, but I'd suggest at the time he was anomalous within the wider squad  and evidently a very quick fire-sale for reportedly £50k on a bus somewhere on the A9 north-bound would suggest that the club were a) unable to match, let alone better any external offers and b) potentially looking to get that wage bill off the books sharpish.  

He was also bang average at best for the first two years he was with us, fairly regularly injured, and disappeared for an extended honeymoon at one point in the middle of the season. People seem to forget that if he hadn't turned up in the playoffs against Dunfermline and Airdrie he probably wouldn't even have been given a new deal; he was obviously phenomenal in the Championship, but that wasn't reflective of his entire spell at the club.