The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

So Tuesday night will be our first competitive game at Lesser Hampden since 98/99 where we finished with a 1-1 draw against Berwick.

Main memories I have of our spell there that season:

- Derek Carmichael going on a mad mid-season scoring run

- Drawing with Clachnacuddin in the Scottish Cup to set up the famous replay 

- Awful journalist Gordon Parks featuring for us 

- Paul Martin clearing the tenements on Somerville Drive with a penalty (our fourth missed penalty in a row I think) 

Just now, Spider Rico said:

So Tuesday night will be our first competitive game at Lesser Hampden since 98/99 where we finished with a 1-1 draw against Berwick.

Main memories I have of our spell there that season:

- Derek Carmichael going on a mad mid-season scoring run

- Drawing with Clachnacuddin in the Scottish Cup to set up the famous replay 

- Awful journalist Gordon Parks featuring for us 

- Paul Martin clearing the tenements on Somerville Drive with a penalty (our fourth missed penalty in a row I think) 

Loved that season, despite it being totally average on the park. I was that age where yer just going with your school pals and full of nonsense. 

The club shop in a garden shed. Mind buying the original Irn Bru shirt from there. First goal there that season was the the keeper blasting it off Scott Edgar, I think. Clach game being postponed about twenty times. Their keeper had an unbelievable save from a David Alexander penalty to take it to a replay if my memory serves? Seem to remember an absolute monsoon at a game as well and huddling under the pavilion. Also remember a Berwick cup game being absolutely baltic. Think the aforementioned Gordon Parks might have scored.

The 4-2 game against County at Hampden before we moved that season was a classic. 2-0 down and on for a pumping. They were one of the stronger Third Division champions of the era as well. 

15 minutes ago, an86 said:

Loved that season, despite it being totally average on the park. I was that age where yer just going with your school pals and full of nonsense. 

The club shop in a garden shed. Mind buying the original Irn Bru shirt from there. First goal there that season was the the keeper blasting it off Scott Edgar, I think. Clach game being postponed about twenty times. Their keeper had an unbelievable save from a David Alexander penalty to take it to a replay if my memory serves? Seem to remember an absolute monsoon at a game as well and huddling under the pavilion. Also remember a Berwick cup game being absolutely baltic. Think the aforementioned Gordon Parks might have scored.

The 4-2 game against County at Hampden before we moved that season was a classic. 2-0 down and on for a pumping. They were one of the stronger Third Division champions of the era as well. 

Mind that Ross County game was available to buy from the shop on VHS 😀

Scenes when Paul Martin’s header hit the back of the net. 

Just now, Spider Rico said:

Mind that Ross County game was available to buy from the shop on VHS 😀

Scenes when Paul Martin’s header hit the back of the net. 

Would love to see footage of that. Derek McGill appearing briefly and then moving to Port Vale. Used to get the team news and any obscure additions to the squad on a Friday night on Teletext. 

28 minutes ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Bought a ticket for Saturdays game this morning as a away fan but no email been sent with tickets as of yet? Does this process normally take time or is there anyone that can help? Have reference number etc and it’s not in junk. Thanks guys 

Recently I’ve received an email quickly but if not you should be able to log into your account on the main ticket site and any purchases will be available to download

1 hour ago, Dumfries Boy(new acc) said:

Bought a ticket for Saturdays game this morning as a away fan but no email been sent with tickets as of yet? Does this process normally take time or is there anyone that can help? Have reference number etc and it’s not in junk. Thanks guys 

If you have no joy with Spider Rico's suggestion then you can call the club office (business hours and phone number on club website) the staff are always very helpful and could arrange to have tickets re-sent to your email.

A really professional performance from QP with a score line that shows it. I felt 5 goals didn’t flatter us and Paton should probably have got a fifth. I’ll let him off with it, given he got the four though. Hopefully a brilliant confidence boost to him and the others. Shoutout to Turner as well, he showed glimpses that he can be an excellent player and spearhead attacking movements. 

Cammy Bruce had an absolutely storming game, he played a part in some excellent attacking moves with incisive 1-2’s & crosses. I wouldn’t be opposed to starting him as our LB. I’m not overly convinced on Longridge/Bruce at RB and I fear that’s be found out against higher level opposition but credit to both, each put an excellent shift in. 

Brilliant to see some of the younger guys getting time as well. Healy had a brilliant impact when he came on and I can’t wait to see more of him this year. Interestingly I note that Veldman brought in McLeish. I thought this might’ve been the game for Williamson to come on in the second half, I wonder what this tells us about his role moving forward. I think for both SW and LM game-time is now key and I’d be sending one out on loan at L2/1 level to get them match-fit. 

Fingers crossed we get a strong result against QoS on Saturday and we can move into the league season with some momentum.

4 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

The area behind the goal at Somerville drive is pretty substantial. You’d think a decent sized stand in time would/could go there. 

IMG_9590.jpeg

I completely agree with you on this. With a bit of innovation you might even account for the retaining wall in the build. Having recently visited Leipzig’s stadium which sits inside a hill, you enter at the top of the stand and move downstairs. Might limit construction costs further. 

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Are we getting highlights of our first competitive game at NLH?

I believe that highlights will be produced however there will be a delay due to reduced availability of editing staff

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Are we getting highlights of our first competitive game at NLH?

Edited by stewmar
Grammar