The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On 21/10/2023 at 09:29, Hampden Diehard said:

Possibly worth adding that the mood in the support last night was very positive and the despondency of recent weeks was replaced by a fair bit of enthusiasm.

I thought so as well. I am however, suprised nobody has taken up my comment ,re an International midfield player, David Wotherson who was avilable to be signed, for free, and would have strengthend our midfield to no end. Are we that good that we do not need experience?

51 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

consolidation in the Championship and trying to stay out of trouble

100% agree with this as things stand but to do that we need to pick our opponents and beat the other teams who are trying to do exactly the same. We have failed to do that so far. 

Edited by EaglesandSpiders

Maybe a bit controversial but i actually thought that we looked more balanced with Alex and Lewis playing together on Friday.

All be it that it is a step up but by all accounts both have been excellent playing together for Young QP.

Alex was very composed throughout and rarely wasted a pass, Lewis looked very comfy with the ball at his feet and his control & touch was very good.

With Thomson & Spong pulling the strings in midfield, hopefully Dom regains the form that we know he can produce.

Overall, the team looked more at it on Friday Night…..hopefully we can now push on 🕷️

23 hours ago, SensibleSpider said:

It wasn't really a back 3. Just really narrow front to back with a midfielder dropping to help move the ball on. I know he's listed as favouring a 343 previously but don't think there's anywhere near the players for that. I think since he patched the really narrow formation it's always been a bit of 433 with either one sitting and two higher , or two sitters sort of thing. 

It was definitely a back 3 condensed between the with of the penalty box. The midfielders weren’t tracking back like the system needed leaving fullbacks facing 2 or even 3 and eventually huge spaces left in the corner of the pitch. The vast majority of goals we were losing came from an attack down the wings. Since Tannadice, when we were destroyed by Jim Goodwin spotting this Veldman has changed to a back 4. 

If Veldman finds the courage to stick with a back 4 for 3 games, in front of Ferrie, we’ll start winning again. If we keep trying to become Dutch without Dutch players we’ll keep getting shredded. Beuker moving to Ajax will be a good thing. It will allow others to breathe a bit. The model is good, it’s just being forced through at a pace most of this squad can’t cope with. When I say “squad” that includes the coaches. 

45 minutes ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Maybe a bit controversial but i actually thought that we looked more balanced with Alex and Lewis playing together on Friday.

Not controversial at all.  Pre-season vs Livvy, Reid was paired with Tizzard and at the time I actually thought of the two, Reid seemed more composed.  Would like to see him getting a run of games

21 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

It was definitely a back 3 condensed between the with of the penalty box. The midfielders weren’t tracking back like the system needed leaving fullbacks facing 2 or even 3 and eventually huge spaces left in the corner of the pitch. The vast majority of goals we were losing came from an attack down the wings. Since Tannadice, when we were destroyed by Jim Goodwin spotting this Veldman has changed to a back 4. 

If Veldman finds the courage to stick with a back 4 for 3 games, in front of Ferrie, we’ll start winning again. If we keep trying to become Dutch without Dutch players we’ll keep getting shredded. Beuker moving to Ajax will be a good thing. It will allow others to breathe a bit. The model is good, it’s just being forced through at a pace most of this squad can’t cope with. When I say “squad” that includes the coaches. 

I can understand why you viewed it as a 3 but for me it was still a back 4 but no wide players apart from full backs . So if one went up they would obviously leave a 3 (sometimes both went and left us with only the CBs 😟) and I agree about midfielders not getting back leaving us exposed. If it was a 3 then you'd always have 3 sitting but he only ever played with two CBs even if Thomson was one of them. I think unbelievable laziness (maybe lack of understanding) from the players is what caused us to become so exposed . 

As I said previously when we had the ball one of the midfielders always dropped between centre backs, but that's a pretty common way to try and play a possession style , the midfielder was always playing in midfield not in the back line . 

Obviously this is just how I viewed it, just reiterating my original reply but showing my working this time 

2 hours ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Alex was very composed throughout and rarely wasted a pass,

I think he’s class. He should defo try that driving with the ball, trying to waltz through an entire opposition thing at least once a game. Only fear is that some players are unlucky with injuries - hope he’s not one of those. 

18 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

So please stop defending this incompetent & insecure p***k who doesn't know the first thing about managing a team of decent players on decent wages, training in top-notch facilities and trying to do what they have been told week after week on the pitch.

This is a bit harsh, non? 

20 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's me being polite. Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against those who would like to see the positives. My beef is with Veldman. 

You are aware that Veldman was the interim head coach at Anderlecht last season after they sacked Felice Mazzù? Yes, it was only for half a dozen games, but two of those were European ties, and he successfully got them out of their Conference League group. Now I appreciate that the Scottish Championship is a massive step up from that, but it's just not true that he "doesn't know the first thing about managing a team of decent players on decent wages, training in top-notch facilities and trying to do what they have been told week after week on the pitch."

41 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

That's me being polite. Don't get me wrong. I've got nothing against those who would like to see the positives. My beef is with Veldman. 

Rangers gave Michael Beale 10 months before binning him. You and a few others would get rid of Veldman after 4 months. Id like to think we have a little more patience and tolerance than Rangers fans. No idea how it will work out but I don't think 4 month  is a "fair chance" 

11 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

You are aware that Veldman was the interim head coach at Anderlecht last season after they sacked Felice Mazzù? Yes, it was only for half a dozen games, but two of those were European ties, and he successfully got them out of their Conference League group. Now I appreciate that the Scottish Championship is a massive step up from that, but it's just not true that he "doesn't know the first thing about managing a team of decent players on decent wages, training in top-notch facilities and trying to do what they have been told week after week on the pitch."

Taking a temporary gig is a million miles from being a manager in your own right. I hope we go out and empty Thistle 8-3 or something, but there’s been no spark about us at all. If we weren’t picking up results, but were playing with some sort of purpose, I’d be more enthused. However, we’re what one of our fellow travellers described on another platform as “optical anthrax.” 

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Rangers gave Michael Beale 10 months before binning him. You and a few others would get rid of Veldman after 4 months. Id like to think we have a little more patience and tolerance than Rangers fans. No idea how it will work out but I don't think 4 month  is a "fair chance" 

There aren't many managers anywhere that wouldn't be under some pressure having taken 2 points from a potential 21 to be fair. I absolutely hope he turns it around too and I was somewhat encouraged on Friday night, but when I look at our upcoming fixtures I don't see it getting much better. Fingers crossed I'm wrong though.

1 hour ago, Alan Twelve said:

Emphasis is on managing, not coaching. 

2 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

Emphasis is on managing, not coaching. 

FFS, he was in charge of the first team. Show some dignity and admit that you're wrong.

Or tie yourself in knots pretending that it somehow doesn't count. Your choice, I suppose.

I get football is a results based business and quite evidently for any manager, 2 points from 21 is quite clearly not sustainable for anyone but it’s the manner for me that’s really grained on me. 

Like what’s been said already, we’ve been utterly lifeless in recent weeks and I see some posts saying that was so much better on Friday which is objectively true as we’ve been nothing short of a disgrace over the last wee while but even from Friday nights performance, I could see us getting cuffed by 2 or 3 goals from majority of sides in the league. Our only goal literally came from the only team outwith ourselves that try to play this type of football and we capitalised on an error. 

It’s still a group of players on the pitch that should be achieving a mid table finish imo with a mixture of class performances and some not so class performances, not the current situation where I genuinely don’t know where the next win is coming from. I had bookmarked Airdrie and Morton as the games we have to try and take 3 points from and we’ve done neither 

I would love Veldman to fix things or at the very least give me as a fan an indicator of the style of play progressing but there’s nothing there for me as of right now. Some Gardner speirs esque tactical decisions have really lost my hope in the guy. Charlie Fox up to against Falkirk reminded me of Barry Ferguson sticking 40 year old Marvin Andrews up top for the last 15 in the play off final back in 2016 to save their season 

Having said all that’s 4-0 Qp on Saturday and Brian Graham in tears  

Edited by qpfc