The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Certainly a positive. A big one. However, it means nothing unless we have structure, stability, transparency and unity. The first two can’t be judged immediately, as things will need to change and then settle on the park. However, there’s no way that the latter two can be achieved without fresh new ideas. 

So much time and money has been wasted as a result of mismanagement. Nobody has really taken responsibility for any of it at any point. The feel good factor of a new coach cannot gloss over any of this and should change nothing. Two new faces going for the committee on Thursday and they are the only hope of forcing any sort of change of culture at the club. Business as usual otherwise, which will result in the same mistakes being made by the same people. Davidson is a start, but that’s all. 

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You'd also assume he's going to be well-backed in being willing to take it after turning down Dundee in the summer, unless again that's just time out the game giving him a different sense of what level of job he could expect.

The Dundee job looked hard, and they have expectations above surviving relegation.

Queens Park shouldnt get relegated with the attacking players but their fans expectations is just to stay in the division.

He spent years telling St Johnstone fans that simply staying in the top flight was massive, and anything about 9th/10th was incredible, while comparing our play off win over ICT to his double in terms of achievement. We also never played a back four as "teams like St Johnstone cant do that in the top flight".

Loads of negativity here from Saintees. When were you so successful as when you won two cups in the same year?

I'd be happy with either one of the League Cup or Scottish Cup. If you let him overspend that's the fault of the club and not the manager.

Pleased that Nuijten has been retained.

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Loads of negativity here from Saintees. When were you so successful as when you won two cups in the same year?

This is an awful argument.

He inherited one of the best squads Tommy Wright built, who over the previous 6 months had been matching Celtic for form. The fanbase was as close to the club and squad as it had ever been, and we had numerous young players in the team starring.

3 years later the whole club was toxic, the squad was the worst we've had in about 15 years, it was filled with shite and ageing players, and we'd gone from regulars in the top 6 to battling relegation every season and regularly going on 10 game winless runs.

Combine that with Davidson blaming everyone but himself every single week for about 18 months, and his unwillingness to ever defend the club, and its surely not hard to see why fans had enough?

Your question should really be about how a club legend, who won a double as manager, ended up deservedly sacked and had an entire fanbase united in thinking it needed to be done before he utterly destroyed the club.

We wont recover from his time in charge for years yet.

Callum proved himself a very capable coach. As random says he took a very good squad assembled by Tommy Wright to the history books. I don’t think Tommy would’ve done the same. 

For me, Callum’s issues began when he needed to assemble a side of his own, he left it too late for July 21 to do something worthwhile, leading to a panic of a window in January 22. 

Yes he kept us up but we absolutely should not have been fighting the drop. 

The following season Callum went for experience and threw in a few random young players. Football wasn’t pretty but at the break we were sitting closer to Europe than the drop. 

Then it all went to shit. Callum came back with comments instantly stating we had to stay up, that’s all that mattered. It continued. Even when a change to a back 4 showed promise frustrated us when he immediately returned to his old ways, justifying it with a win against Motherwell. We wouldn’t win again for about 2 months. Those who still held out hope dwindled, until what seems like one lone voice (HiYa Steve Bright Hiya pal) continued to back him. Even his most ardent fans who pinned most of the blame on other people admitted the dressing room was gone, and it was best for all if we went out separate ways. 

If he’s learnt his lessons, and he’s willing to compromise I think Queens Park have done well, if not, well Maccas kicking about somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Wow. Who peed in your tea today?

I think he meant he hopes it's the case that there is some control over the spend rather left to his own devices.

I'm pretty happy with this appointment. There isn't really a manager in the Scottish game at this level that would come without some measure of failure and messages of impending doom from supporters of previous clubs, but to me it's as good as it's going to get.  I see the contract (for what it means) runs to June 2026.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is an awful argument.

He inherited one of the best squads Tommy Wright built, who over the previous 6 months had been matching Celtic for form. The fanbase was as close to the club and squad as it had ever been, and we had numerous young players in the team starring.

3 years later the whole club was toxic, the squad was the worst we've had in about 15 years, it was filled with shite and ageing players, and we'd gone from regulars in the top 6 to battling relegation every season and regularly going on 10 game winless runs.

Combine that with Davidson blaming everyone but himself every single week for about 18 months, and his unwillingness to ever defend the club, and its surely not hard to see why fans had enough?

Your question should really be about how a club legend, who won a double as manager, ended up deservedly sacked and had an entire fanbase united in thinking it needed to be done before he utterly destroyed the club.

We wont recover from his time in charge for years yet.

The future of about 90% of managers is to be sacked. Managing the likes of Livi, County, Saints is a poisoned chalice in Scotland. One slip and you're in the shite.

Again, if he "utterly destroyed" the club and drove it to a state of being almost bankrupt, you should be looking at the people running the club who should have reined him in.

Anyway, I'll be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

As for taking years to recover, would you swap this for the two cup wins?

Very happy with these appointments,  hope it goes well for you both. 

Just ignore your ex fans who obviously don't appreciate what you did for them ! 

What about Shaun Rooney (ex QP and Saints) as one of your first signings? 

57 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

It’s an incredible achievement, one that probably won’t be done again if we’re being honest. But I understand where the St Johnstone fans are coming from. How long can that achievement save you when you’re serving up shite week in, week out that the fans are paying good money to endure? 

I’m happy with the appointment. At the very least he’s been a manager before! Make us hard to beat and he’s done better than Veldman. I imagine he’s been told he can strengthen before taking the job, and will be allowed to sign guys over 21 🙄 

This is all very hard to read: on one hand, Davidson must have been promised significant resources to bring in players to be persuaded to take on a team near the bottom of the Championship, after turning down Dundee in the summer (if that’s true).

On the other, there’s no real evidence that he is capable of building his own squad, i.e that he knows what to do with money available.

It might turn out that, at this level, bringing in two really good players will be enough to turn it round in the immediate term, who knows; but this looks a bit 50-50 to me (so at the very least better than the 0-100 you were staring at last month).

Ooft good luck with that one lads. 

if he can collect the cacophony of shite he gave long, expensive wages to on his way that would be lovely. 

Said is his interview that he's looking to bring in 2-3 additions, which is honestly all I think we need to be considerably more competitive as long as they're the right players with a decent bit of experience. A centre half and a forward would be my priority, and with his connections I'd be keen on Lee Ashcroft who we'd previously been linked to and Stevie May; potentially a left back after that if I'm being greedy.

28 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The future of about 90% of managers is to be sacked. Managing the likes of Livi, County, Saints is a poisoned chalice in Scotland. One slip and you're in the shite.

Again, if he "utterly destroyed" the club and drove it to a state of being almost bankrupt, you should be looking at the people running the club who should have reined him in.

Most of the people running our club can't even manage themselves never mind a forceful manager.

20 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Our entire boardroom left in the Summer, as did all those above Davidson in the pecking order. Considering Davidson helped hire the man above him though, he also gets some of the blame for that. The club was a farce due to the chairman losing all interest, but Davidson had free reign so what you saw with us and how he wants to do things.

The idea a manager can rack up ~£2m of losses building a squad of ~40 players, spending over £500k on fees alone, and get no criticism is just bizarre to me.

He'd been at the club behind the scenes for a decade and knew fine well how everything worked, its not as if he thought the club could afford to do things he done.

The double is obviously great, and will probably never be matched. That shouldnt make him immune to criticism. It didnt need to be an "either or" situation, he could've won the double and not been sacked. Instead he completely failed to build a squad, and then completely failed to adapt to the squad he did have. His high points are almost always when we had a full squad to pick from, and when anyone dropped out, he couldn't adapt to sort it and we crashed.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The idea a manager can rack up ~£2m of losses building a squad of ~40 players, spending over £500k on fees alone, and get no criticism is just bizarre to me.

I’d blame your owners for that. Seems bizarre that in this day and age it was seemingly down to the manger alone to do all the recruitment for a top flight club.