The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Callum Ferrie again magnificent yesterday and on any other day probably another MOTM performance, (the save towards the end of the 2nd half was showreel stuff).  

The talk for most of this year has been about McKenna and where he was/is likely to end up in January/end of the season.  I’ve never been critical of Ferrie’s ability as a shot-stopper, only his distribution and his tendency to play safe by kicking long at times. At 25 he’s still got plenty of time to add that to his game, which if he does I could easily see him also moving on for a significant fee in the very near future.

1 hour ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

I noted on Davidson’s post-match interview he said he wanted to bring in at least two more signings before next week’s games. 

fingers crossed we move quite quickly. 

Greg Stewart says he has spoken to several managers since coming back from India. Hope one of them is Cal.

2 minutes ago, Boris the Spider said:

Another midfielder is interesting. Needs as many options as possible but there’s competition now for the attacking midfield slot with turner/Mckinstry/Carse 

Just hope it’s not preparation for a Dom Thomas departure 

1 minute ago, qpfc said:

Another midfielder is interesting. Needs as many options as possible but there’s competition now for the attacking midfield slot with turner/Mckinstry/Carse 

Just hope it’s not preparation for a Dom Thomas departure 

He's a centre mid seemingly so I don't think it has anything to do with the Thomas rumours. Seems like an odd signing; definitely not an area I think we need to strengthen further as a matter of priority!

18 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

He's a centre mid seemingly so I don't think it has anything to do with the Thomas rumours. Seems like an odd signing; definitely not an area I think we need to strengthen further as a matter of priority!

Hope so. Just a bit odd we’re signing him in a position we look fairly well covered in. Doubt he’s getting sent out on loan to sit on the bench. Worried something has got to give the other way. Maybe Thomson? Hopefully it’s just a case of bulking up the squad 

11 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

I have to say, experience should be the name of the game now: Not youth loanee’s from Celtic. 

How much more experience do we need?

Our starting 11 on Saturday had 2 players in their 30's, 3 aged 25 or over & 2 23 year olds.

I'm not saying we should rule out signing experienced players but I think being good & playing in a position where we need reinforcing is far more important.

16 hours ago, qpfc said:

Hope so. Just a bit odd we’re signing him in a position we look fairly well covered in. Doubt he’s getting sent out on loan to sit on the bench. Worried something has got to give the other way. Maybe Thomson? Hopefully it’s just a case of bulking up the squad 

Do wonder how p**d off Thomson is at being played as CB, but the obvious solution to that would be to buy an experienced CB for the rest to learn off of & move him back to midfield.  Assume the rumours of him heading to EFL L1 have died down a bit but wouldn’t be surprised if we were to cash in on the basis Davidson might get a tune out of the remaining CB’s at some point, which would probably allow for another midfielder to be brought in…..after his omission from the starting line up, maybe more competition for Spong?

As for Thomas I do wonder whether the budget isn’t just a little tighter than most other fans seem to think it is and further squad enhancements would predicate on a sale. 

34 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Watching the highlights back again.  The run from Bruce, the ball from Robson and then the hit……motto bene!!

love it aldo GIF by MasterChefAU

In a way I was more impressed with the second goal. The first was a beauty, brilliant instinctual play, but the second was the result of a confident player attacking the ball without hestation, which is something that's been sorely lacking in both the attacking and defending thirds for us all season.

If Wee Callum can get the players going out on the pitch believing - knowing, even - that they're going to win rather than being terrified they'll lose, it'll make 10 times the difference that any tactical switch could.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Do wonder how p**d off Thomson is at being played as CB, but the obvious solution to that would be to buy an experienced CB for the rest to learn off of & move him back to midfield.  Assume the rumours of him heading to EFL L1 have died down a bit but wouldn’t be surprised if we were to cash in on the basis Davidson might get a tune out of the remaining CB’s at some point, which would probably allow for another midfielder to be brought in…..after his omission from the starting line up, maybe more competition for Spong?

As for Thomas I do wonder whether the budget isn’t just a little tighter than most other fans seem to think it is and further squad enhancements would predicate on a sale. 

Jack moving to Carlisle at this time would be a bad move for his development, can only assume the wages would be better but in terms of opportunity QP is the place to be. We can see from performances how scunnered some players have got and I’d imagine there’s a few choice words on the senior players What’sApp group. Like Thomas and Robson, I’m backing Davidson to show these guys the light. Saturday was a really good start.

Net zero transfers have been the case for the January window since we went pro but there were clear and strong signals on Thursday night that the Directors have accepted that the recruitment campaign in summer was poor and left us badly off balance. I don’t know where the extra cash is coming from, although a change in the admin department that’s coming will net a healthy amount, but signings will be made to ensure we stay in this league. Another striker seems obvious but when I consider the playing-from-back style and look at our two goals on Saturday maybe that explains why midfielders are still getting high priority.

The Veldman plan was for Thomson to play a sort-of attacking centre half role. Then I heard the late Kaiser Franz in an interview broadcast just after his recent passing away saying that was his role.

It seems to be working well if that's what it actually is.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

6 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The Veldman plan was for Thomson to play a sort-of attacking centre half role. Then I heard the late Kaiser Franz in an interview broadcast just after his recent passing away saying that was his role.

Kaiser Jack

57 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

That I could see, however you’d hope that if he was deployed as a Libero then there’d be some competency left in behind.