The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

So, Hinds in, MacGregor in, Healy out - still short on numbers on attack (Sheridan should of stayed...) and on the right side of defense, but midfield looks like closed shop (if McKinstry stays).

Above all, hopefully the younger guys will have some game time, instead of the countless loan-ins that add nothing but numbers (and taking away playing time on others).

1 minute ago, SpiderFromMars said:

Sheridan should of stayed

Realistically Sheridan is only going to get worse the older he gets, imo it was a good decision to let him leave. We've got McLeish to act as a substitute for Paton, and a few younger guys to come in for him if it gets really bad. 

Sheridan's spot in the team was really a second striker to Paton, but if Davidson's shaking up the tactics this season then that might not be necessary and he'd be a redundant player. 

Also I reckon he would have been on one of the heftier contracts in the team given his immense experience, although I can't say for sure of course.

Just now, starshot131 said:

Realistically Sheridan is only going to get worse the older he gets, imo it was a good decision to let him leave. We've got McLeish to act as a substitute for Paton, and a few younger guys to come in for him if it gets really bad. 

Sheridan's spot in the team was really a second striker to Paton, but if Davidson's shaking up the tactics this season then that might not be necessary and he'd be a redundant player. 

Also I reckon he would have been on one of the heftier contracts in the team given his immense experience, although I can't say for sure of course.

I understand your point of view, but you need some experience up front... especially a guy like him, who has seen it all, coming from the bench when needed would be a very important factor. We already have Wilson (do we?) wich helps on defence, Welsh in midfield and Sheridan should be the forwards experienced guy.

For me he was THE game changer last year, one of the main reasons why we stayed up. He worked really well with Paton and was a great link up with the midfield.

Nontheless I agree: contractwise he (and Wilson) might be the highest paid guy(s). That can change it all (if he asked too much).

1 minute ago, SpiderFromMars said:

I understand your point of view, but you need some experience up front... especially a guy like him, who has seen it all, coming from the bench when needed would be a very important factor. We already have Wilson (do we?) wich helps on defence, Welsh in midfield and Sheridan should be the forwards experienced guy.

For me he was THE game changer last year, one of the main reasons why we stayed up. He worked really well with Paton and was a great link up with the midfield.

Nontheless I agree: contractwise he (and Wilson) might be the highest paid guy(s). That can change it all (if he asked too much).

It's possible that Davidson thinks Thomas provides that experience up front, especially because he's the captain. As you say if Sheridan was asking for a raise and we just couldn't afford it then these things happen I suppose

15 minutes ago, SpiderFromMars said:

Sheridan - agree with this. All of a sudden, we had a cracking forward in Paton with someone who linked up well with him. I'd love us to continue with two up front.

I think we're missing a trick if we persist with Paton up there on his own.

20 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Sheridan - agree with this. All of a sudden, we had a cracking forward in Paton with someone who linked up well with him. I'd love us to continue with two up front.

I think we're missing a trick if we persist with Paton up there on his own.

I would definitely prefer a 4-4-2 myself too, Sheridan and Paton up front would be a great asset - but it looks to me that Davidson is going to work on a 5-4-1 or a 4-3-3 (basically switching from a central defender to a holding midfielder) so the attacking threat will be of Thomas - Paton - Savoury, regardless of the guys behind them.

Tactically speaking it's easier to switch from one to another (in-game and midweek) but it will leave Paton with less space, wich will make him score less...

Let's see if defensively it improves and if it does, kudos to Davidson.

2 hours ago, starshot131 said:

It's possible that Davidson thinks Thomas provides that experience up front, especially because he's the captain. As you say if Sheridan was asking for a raise and we just couldn't afford it then these things happen I suppose

Mmm, I’d be very wary of loading up Thomas; trying to be the creative force of the team, Captain and a strike threat to back up Paton would, imho, be asking far too much of him and Paton needs help; he scored a lot of goals last year, but missed a fair few sitters too and cut a rather frustrated figure at times when he was constantly back in midfield trying to get into the game

17 hours ago, qpfc said:

Aaron Healy signs for arthurlie tonight 

A marijn Beuker special- we gave him a 4 YEAR DEAL. Nowhere near the standard required, particularly physically. His Dumbarton loan was a massive flop so no surprises he’s away 

Yup, if that’s not the final nail in the coffin of the Dutch experiment, I dont know what is

25 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

One thing that I cannot begin to understand...

Why do we have Lesser?! We never ever use it for games!

It's like getting Maradona on the squad sheet, just to realise he hasn't been able to play for the last couple of years (sarcasm is my middle name...).

56 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Have been wondering, with how petty/vindictive Rangers are, how they'll find a way to shafted you over this to prevent paying you anything too.

56 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I'm well and truly sick of this whole debacle. We had the whole last season to put in place some form of temporary stands to turn Lesser into a somewhat fit-for-purpose ground for the Championship but did absolutely f**k all. The level of incompetence is mind blowing. Rangers will get Hampden and we'll be left homeless again. There's no way the pitch in Hampden can accommodate Queen's Park, Rangers, and Scottish National Teams (men & women) all playing there in the same season. 

I would expect now is the time for our club president to stand up and say give a statement saying we have an agreement in place and our fixtures will not be changed. Hopefully very soon. 

All QP home league fixtures after the Livingston game have been announced as taking place at Hampden so it would now be truly incredible for the club to turn around and announce that some of these games will take place elsewhere. The first of these fixtures in September are v Morton and Ayr. Lesser is too small for these games. In October there are games v Hamilton and Partick. Again Lesser couldn't host these games. I assume Rangers will have sorted their problems preferably by the end of September. I'm with QP Mad - we have an agreement in place and that should be that.

38 minutes ago, EaglesandSpiders said:

I'm well and truly sick of this whole debacle. We had the whole last season to put in place some form of temporary stands to turn Lesser into a somewhat fit-for-purpose ground for the Championship but did absolutely f**k all. The level of incompetence is mind blowing. Rangers will get Hampden and we'll be left homeless again. There's no way the pitch in Hampden can accommodate Queen's Park, Rangers, and Scottish National Teams (men & women) all playing there in the same season. 

Indeed. Very frustrating lack of clarity or progress on completing Lessers. What if Rangers to pay for the installation of temporary stands? Does that change things?

9 minutes ago, Spidersmad said:

All QP home league fixtures after the Livingston game have been announced as taking place at Hampden so it would now be truly incredible for the club to turn around and announce that some of these games will take place elsewhere. The first of these fixtures in September are v Morton and Ayr. Lesser is too small for these games. In October there are games v Hamilton and Partick. Again Lesser couldn't host these games. I assume Rangers will have sorted their problems preferably by the end of September. I'm with QP Mad - we have an agreement in place and that should be that.

Don't disagree. Do we ask Rangers to pay for temporary stands at Lesser as part of a deal? Better than going back to Ochilview or elsewhere.

If a single Queen's Park fan misses out on attending any fixture because Rangers end up taking priority at Hampden and Lesser is a joke then it will be nothing short of a disgrace.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Indeed. Very frustrating lack of clarity or progress on completing Lessers. What if Rangers to pay for the installation of temporary stands? Does that change things?

Temporary stands would have to be ordered, delivered and assembled. We’d also have to do work to allow safe entry/exit to said stands. The land at Lesser is not set up to facilitate this currently at either the north or south end.

None of the above could be done without planning permission and presumably inspections, test events etc

Then we’d have to arrange catering & toilet facilities, figure out how to do ticketing etc

Not feasible to do this in a short timeframe.

Edited by Spider Rico

24 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

Temporary stands would have to be ordered, delivered and assembled. We’d also have to do work to allow safe entry/exit to said stands. The land at Lesser is not set up to facilitate this currently at either the north or south end.

None of the above could be done without planning permission and presumably inspections, test events etc

Then we’d have to arrange catering & toilet facilities, figure out how to do ticketing etc

Not feasible to do this in a short timeframe.

Indeed. Quite a few challenges to overcome.  Now a stadium swap would be hilarious. We play at Ibrox and they play at Hampden 🤣