The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

19 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Thought we looked really sharp tonight, especially before Davidson made significant changes. This team is capable of doing plenty of damage this year assuming bodies are brought in for the bench and as competition to the established players, I just hope it happens soon. Hinds looked pretty decent; we definitely still need a right back though, I know it was Celtic but I'm unconvinced Mauchin is ready.

To be honest i thought Zach had a good 2nd half and Lewis Reid was very assured alongside Wilson when Charlie went off. Overall we looked sharp.

Blow for Fox but if memory serves he is suspended for Saturday after getting sent off against QOS last season in the final League Cup group game.

Hope it’s nothing serious as we will need him for The League start.

50 minutes ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

To be honest i thought Zach had a good 2nd half and Lewis Reid was very assured alongside Wilson when Charlie went off. Overall we looked sharp.

I agree about Mauchin. He was dealing with faster and more skilful opponents than he will meet most weeks in the championship & I thought he gave a decent account of himself. I think he has improved considerably over the past year. 

I'd also make the point that, as I understand it, we are meant to be all about developing young players and giving them a chance in the first team. Zach was the only player in the starting XI who is "one of our own" I'd be really disappointed if we have no one starting games who we have developed ourselves. For me, the least he deserves is a run of games in the league cup.

Edited by Arachnophile

3 minutes ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree about Mauchin. He was dealing with faster and more skilful opponents than he will meet most weeks in the championship & I thought he gave a decent account of himself. I think he has improved considerably over the pat year. 

I'd also make the point that, as I understand it, we are meant to be all about developing young players and giving them a chance in the first team. Zach was the only player in the starting XI who is "one of our own" I'd be really disappointed if we have no one starting games who we have developed ourselves. For me, the least he deserves is a run of games in the league cup.

Too many are so quick to bring them down. 

Definitely a decent performance from QP tonight. First look at Roddy MacGregor and he did not disappoint. He looked every bit as good a player as Savoury if that performance is to go by. Hinds also looks like he’s a decent addition. Another forward is a must though and a right back to keep Mauchin honest would be good.

if fox is out for any length of time i’d say there is a need at centreback. Always like Reid & happy with Carrick’s performance (he looks bigger than i thought he’d be) but i’d like some experience in there to help out from time to time.

Edited by pmonigatti

Plenty of positives from tonight and it was good to see the vast majority of the squad in action despite the somewhat alarming interview earlier in the day. Hopefully Fox has dodged a serious injury but his body language while on the floor was worrying. 

In the inevitable event that QP take at least one Celtic player in on loan, i wonder if anyone who was at the game thought any of the Celtic players stood out that you think would add something to the QP team?

(realistic suggestions only, kyogo & MoR aren’t good enough)

Edited by pmonigatti

4 minutes ago, pmonigatti said:

In the inevitable event that QP take at least one Celtic player in on loan, i wonder if anyone who was at the game thought any of the Celtic players stood out that you think would add something to the QP team?

I'd take that lad, Kyogo.

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

I agree about Mauchin. He was dealing with faster and more skilful opponents than he will meet most weeks in the championship & I thought he gave a decent account of himself. I think he has improved considerably over the past year. 

Absolutely
I'm all for getting the money out of guys like Bannon sometimes, it's just a necessity of not playing at the top level (even if it annoys me)
But we should always be looking to include these guys in the first team and see them as equals, or they'll never develop to be equals

You'd like to think McLeish will be getting a few starts this season, along with obviously Mauchin
Beyond that I'm struggling. Lewis Reid will maybe get a couple of games if something happens to Fox (or maybe that already has happened) or Wilson

7 hours ago, starshot131 said:

You'd like to think McLeish will be getting a few starts this season, along with obviously Mauchin
Beyond that I'm struggling. Lewis Reid will maybe get a couple of games if something happens to Fox (or maybe that already has happened) or Wilson

If only we had a local facility whereby we could get along to and watch the (Strollers) B' Team regularly play, we may then know of more of those knocking on the First team door. 

17 minutes ago, Red Kite said:

Nice wee mention for QP on Talksport.  Paul Tisdale, who managed Ollie Watkins at Exeter City, was watching QP last night.

Wonder what club he’s scouting for. You don’t rock up to Lesser Hampden for a pre-season game just for the ambience. 

11 minutes ago, an86 said:

Wonder what club he’s scouting for. You don’t rock up to Lesser Hampden for a pre-season game just for the ambience. 

He was very complimentary about the club and set-up.  Alan Brazil did highlight you are an attractive club for young players to join so I reckon he will not be the last heading to Glasgow.

That was refreshing. Looked good on the ball and it was a pretty entertaining evening (until about 9.50pm). 

Thought Paton was the best player on the pitch at times. Hinds has got something about him to - it's a shame he kept checking back inside in the first half instead of trying to burn their full back, tho. 

Shame about Fox - hope it's not too serious, but good to see Tizzard on the bench. 

CD hoping to get a couple in before the weekend... bit of experience at centre half needed. We're well snookered if/when Wilson gets injured. 

10 hours ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

Too many are so quick to bring them down. 

I don't think it's bringing someone down to think they're not quite ready yet. We saw Veldman chuck young boys onto the pitch when we were trying to hold a lead and they didn't manage it; I'd imagine that's probably more demoralising for them than either having to wait a bit longer for their chance, or it being under different circumstances.

Admittedly I must be missing something with Mauchin and hope you're all right about him. Still think signing an experienced right back should be a priority though given we've had trouble with that position for a couple of years.

Last night was much, much better than expected. Four goals against any Celtic team is impressive although they did carve us up a bit too easily.

God help us if we lose Paton; he looks to have kicked on from last year.

Mauchin was given a bit of a roasting at times but actually came out of it ok overall and he might do.

Hopefully there will be (decent) loan players coming in once the Premier guys settle their squads.

Rangers moving to Hampden for a few games but  

"One outstanding issue is Queen’s Park’s deal for the Championship side to play their home games at Hampden after September 5 but it’s understood that will be resolved."

- does this mean we'll be shafted again?

https://news.stv.tv/sport/rangers-close-to-deal-with-sfa-to-use-hampden-during-ibrox-delays?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR11pRnhJ5PF3lTarLpwqHXyl3WEpqCQ9Ainf86p1Aj63eAD9k8frO0iyNU_aem_3giC9wH1nHzxnV8hi9yS7Q

16 minutes ago, Grumpy Soo-sider said:

Rangers moving to Hampden for a few games but  

"One outstanding issue is Queen’s Park’s deal for the Championship side to play their home games at Hampden after September 5 but it’s understood that will be resolved."

- does this mean we'll be shafted again?

https://news.stv.tv/sport/rangers-close-to-deal-with-sfa-to-use-hampden-during-ibrox-delays?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR11pRnhJ5PF3lTarLpwqHXyl3WEpqCQ9Ainf86p1Aj63eAD9k8frO0iyNU_aem_3giC9wH1nHzxnV8hi9yS7Q

It really seems like those in charge just hate you :lol: