The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

Kind of inevitable no?  You don't get to hold on to a 20+ goalscorer in the Championship.  Takes away another 6 weeks of concern.

Need to use that money to secure our defence just to stay in the division now.

Paton leaving the club for bigger things has always been inevitable. He is simply too good. I'm just glad that it's happened pre-season rather than in January when it would have been even harder to find a suitable replacement, and that we're making decent money out of it. It also proves you need to spend money to make money at this level. 

Overall the Paton situation isn't great, but it also could have been a lot worse
He obviously is too good a player for this level, but we managed to get him for a season, and hopefully get a wee bit of cash out of his sale as well

This should be what we're hoping to do with a lot of players I suppose now we're at this level - get them in on the cheap and sell them for a considerable price tag. It would have been nice to keep him for another season but what can you do I suppose

We seemed to be playing striker-less against Celtic in the first half (I couldn't see much of what was going on up-front second half), so if Savoury can get back to fitness at some point before the season starts then that would give us a weird front 3 of Thomas, Savoury and MacGregor, possibly with McLeish coming in at times.
In terms of attacking power that can't be the worst in the league, and with Rudden that would be bolstered a bit, as he's performed at this level before (12 goals in a shocking Falkirk team 18/19 looks good on paper)

All hope isn't lost imo. I've said before but I don't think there's a point being negative about qp stuff on-the-field. Championship is so open that we could finish on 20 points or 60 points and I wouldn't be all that shocked with either, but we'll probably be somewhere in between

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Paton is supposedly with the team at Peterhead. It'll be the best bit of business of the summer if we hang onto him.

can we rent a cell at Peterhead Prison & incarcerate him there until the end of the transfer window?

4 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

I can understand no mention of Mckinstry given the situation, but not sure why the question of Grant Savoury isn't even being asked. Did I miss it?

McKinstrey was offered a contract and turned it down. He obviously thinks he's better than us, a notion not bourne out by his performances last year.

Savoury isn't near being ready unfortunately.

Just now, Hampden Diehard said:

Paton is supposedly with the team at Peterhead. It'll be the best bit of business of the summer if we hang onto him.

Hate to say it but puts me in mind of Murray being on the team bus to the Inverness game ....... 

Just now, mcjameos said:

Hate to say it but puts me in mind of Murray being on the team bus to the Inverness game ....... 

Yip, I know. The guy seems to be happy at Queen's and maybe that will be a factor.

20 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Savoury isn't near being ready unfortunately.

Surely there must of been some sort of due diligence on his fitness before offering him a new contract regardless of how talented a footballer he is. Awful luck going through an injury like he has but what value are we necessarily getting here? Davidson said tail end of last season that he’d be back for pre season ? Has he had another set back? 

2 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Decent six-figure fees for both Bannon and Paton. If the money isn’t re-invested into the squad (since we’ve made clear we’ll do diddy squad about Lesser), what’s even the point?

That's the Lazyboys bought for the royal box.

On 11/07/2024 at 20:19, Dooflick said:

You are so right, and I forgot to mention that Scotland are playing at Hampden in September, October and November.

See from the QP website that we are advertising hospitality for OUR home games at Hampden. At least Kiaren thinks we will be playing there.

13 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Kind of inevitable no?  You don't get to hold on to a 20+ goalscorer in the Championship.  Takes away another 6 weeks of concern.

Need to use that money to secure our defence just to stay in the division now.

I think there's more to it than that. By all accounts Paton is very happy here and gets on with the manager, but I also accept that the club needs to generate income.

The question is how much is the bid? The gulf in prize money between 8th and 4th is somewhere in the region of 250/300k, which could very easily be the difference between having his goals or not (or we could finish worse than 8th and potentially end up in League One, which would result in far greater losses financially).

Obviously there might be some sort of clause in his contract that says we need to accept an offer of X amount, and in that case our hands are tied. Given how quick the club were to shift Murray when they did though, I'm a little bit skeptical of their ability to consider the bigger picture.

Edited by Zanetti

I’ll maybe be in the minority but I still rate Rudden and would’ve been happy if we’d signed him at some point. He’s got all the tools to do well at this level but I’ve heard from a few people now that he’s an absolute choob of a boy and has been poorly advised by his dad through his career. 

It’s a while ago now but I think teams keep signing him hoping for the player that Falkirk got but he seems a very different player to that now. You can guarantee that you’ve got (another) player who will score in all four games against us this season. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’ll maybe be in the minority but I still rate Rudden and would’ve been happy if we’d signed him at some point. He’s got all the tools to do well at this level but I’ve heard from a few people now that he’s an absolute choob of a boy and has been poorly advised by his dad through his career. 

It’s a while ago now but I think teams keep signing him hoping for the player that Falkirk got but he seems a very different player to that now. You can guarantee that you’ve got (another) player who will score in all four games against us this season. 

His record of 48 goals in 185 appearances is a good stat on paper. 

I think if this had been last week, before the Paton rumours, a good proportion of Queens fans would have been happy with this signing.

"Playing with Paton" = good. 

"Playing instead of Paton" = not good.