The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

On the playing side, my recollection is that there were, what I thought at the time, pretty wild aspirations from the QP Committee, some of whom saw a better position for us than League 1 consolidation. I thought that they were aff their collective trolleys.....and then we were 45 minutes away from Premier football just over a year ago.

On the park, we've seen an incredible rise in our stock. There can't be too many people alive who've seen us better which only serves to make the bad stuff seem all the worse. We're in a position that about 75% of Scottish football would die for, yet we are, me included, full of complaints. Quite frankly, we look a bit lost as a club but I firmly believe an awful lot of it can be sorted.

37 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

On the playing side, my recollection is that there were, what I thought at the time, pretty wild aspirations from the QP Committee, some of whom saw a better position for us than League 1 consolidation. I thought that they were aff their collective trolleys.....and then we were 45 minutes away from Premier football just over a year ago.

On the park, we've seen an incredible rise in our stock. There can't be too many people alive who've seen us better which only serves to make the bad stuff seem all the worse. We're in a position that about 75% of Scottish football would die for, yet we are, me included, full of complaints. Quite frankly, we look a bit lost as a club but I firmly believe an awful lot of it can be sorted.

Quite. From my perspective, the increasing frustration is because the present status can be easily sorted.

Our sole - off-field - focus should be bringing Lesser up to Championship standard.

So much goodwill will flow thereafter.

Yeah I mean tbh I have no real gripes with how qp operates other than the stadium debacle and the lack of communication regarding anything

I thought the club were doing a decent job at growing the support by playing exciting football and doing tickets for schools
I was on board with the Dutch experiment, and it's a shame it didn't work out
I rate CD as a manager and I think we've got some really good players in the squad given the fact that we by no means have the highest budget in the league (ooh just waiting for some Ayr United fan to tell me we're paying Dom Thomas ten billion a week)

Generally it's been a good time for the club, but we really, really need a proper stadium that's fit for the crowds we're getting

19 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

From the announcement - "The capacity at The city Stadium allows for all Queen’s Park Members, Season Ticket Holders and the regular walk-up fans to attend, however we are aware that a small number of fans may be unable to purchase a ticket."

Absolute BS.

19 hours ago, Spidersmad said:

here will be more people on the hill in Letherby Drive than inside the ground.

Have we started a timer on the QP official comms stating that the hill is now rendered 'out of bounds' and will be enforced as such by G4S/Police Scotland?

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Just to embellish a little on other comments...when QP had "a deal" with the SFA (questionable if anything is in writing) it was the SFA's responsibility to replace the pitch after the events (a couple of concerts I think where all the revenue went to the SFA) at Hampden over the summer. It was a six week relay programme and then the international fixtures and then we we were to return as per our fixture list after 5th September. Similar to last season. When Rangers came along, they committed to relaying the turf but had a company who could do it in a couple of weeks. This extra period not only covered their league games but the qualifying rounds of the Champions League. Hence the fury they are out already. Apart from the prize money, they now have to pay for a pitch without the extra income from at least one more round of the CL. Meanwhile, QPFC with their usual business acumen and attention to small print "ripped up" the current agreement and walked away from it all. So as mentioned earlier, Rangers (who use real lawyers who know about clauses and such) will have rightly told us to FO. The SFA will turn their heads away 'cos they don't want to pay for the pitch.

These are the same people who on a weekly basis for half a season lied to the fans when we were at Stenny because they booked us into a ground that already had two teams in the SFA pyramid playing there and had to keep making excuses which are very similar to their guff today. So we're the spare wheel again. I wouldn't be surprised if we asked to do a fixture swap with Morton and you also told us to FO. 

On the money as always, Sir.

12 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Have we started a timer on the QP official comms stating that the hill is now rendered 'out of bounds' and will be enforced as such by G4S/Police Scotland?

I suspect it will be a police matter following resident complaints.

Listening to the Behind the Goals podcast (link a few pages ago), Craig Joyce poured scorn on any notion that QP had an excess budget for players etc, a view supported by CD's assertions that we're now waiting for returnees from injury, rather than external additions for the men's squad.  

The lack of any significant progress with Lesser over the last 12 months and now the loss of revenue of forcing ourselves into a corner playing there and the fact that whilst doing so, I'm guessing, will delay any further development work perhaps shows that the vast majority of the initial financial investment into the club has been used maybe indicates any further capital spend will need to be self-funded; I hope I'm proven wrong, but I have a horrible feeling that what we have at Lesser is what we'll remain with for a significant period until such time as we can generate revenue from Hampden.

29 minutes ago, starshot131 said:

(ooh just waiting for some Ayr United fan to tell me we're paying Dom Thomas ten billion a week)

I reckon this could be a bit of an indicator as to how we're doing financially; please correct me, but he's in the final year of his contract and I'd assume our highest earner...come January, if not already, he'll be looking at what, if anything, QP are offering for 25-26.  Again, hope I'm wrong, but another Simon Murray situation could be looming. 

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

I reckon this could be a bit of an indicator as to how we're doing financially; please correct me, but he's in the final year of his contract and I'd assume our highest earner...come January, if not already, he'll be looking at what, if anything, QP are offering for 25-26.  Again, hope I'm wrong, but another Simon Murray situation could be looming. 

There were rumours of Thomas leaving last January as well, I'm not sure I entirely believe them. So long as we can maintain his wage, which there is no evidence that we cannot, why would he leave? He's a guaranteed starter, club captain, loved by the fanbase, lives and grew up locally, and seemingly is enjoying his time here. It's not like Murray where he had some really low spell in his career and we happened to pick him up, he moved pretty much sideways from Dunfermline to us.

Maybe he would rather take the increase in wages and drop in stature/playing time at a premiership club, but I'm not sure

Sickener of a result but a good performance from QP.  Thought the defence was solid & Fieldson looked decent when he came on.  

There'll be a few near the harbour/docks area of Aberdeen that will spend more time on their backs than Rudden today.....but not many! - every time the camera panned to him he seemed to be falling over.

Edited by Spider1975

Sickener to lose the game in that manner but I thought we showed tremendous character throughout. Rode our luck on a couple occasions, particularly start of both halves but we settled down and played some decent stuff. 

Certainly feel more optimistic about our chances for the league campaign and was good to see we have other competent options at the back in Magnus Mackenzie and Henry fieldson who both looked really confident when they came on

Aye, Rudden should have scored that chance but Im a massive fan of his all round game. Constantly occupies the defenders and always involved in chances. I’d be more worried if he wasn’t getting any chances. He’s still a young guy at 24 and similar to what simon Murray was like when he first joined, his finishing can be frustrating but there will come a point it’ll all click for him in front of goal. I’d still like another striker to partner/compete with rudden though 

motm - Cammy Kerr. Probably hasn’t received as many plaudits as others have this season but he’s been an excellent addition so far. Always knows what’s he’s doing in his defending and has an excellent attitude on the pitch. Particularly impressive given he’s playing at centre back in an unnatural position 

Feel like the defence is slowly but surely sorting itself out. Murray is very, very good, Kerr was comfortably man of the match today, Fieldson looked solid when he came on, and Ujdur will be fine with more match fitness. Get another striker in and I think we've got a really solid Championship squad.

Plenty of positives to take from that. After the thumping from Hibs I’d feared for the worst, but all I had been hoping for was to be competitive. I certainly got that. 

Game plan was pretty spot on, we frustrated well, although I didn’t think there was a lot of options to get up the park. I feel we missed another physical presence up top, as I’m not sure that’s really Rudden’s game. Missed too many headers/flick ons throughout. Absolute credit to him though, he never stopped and his movement to control the ball for Turner mid-fall was outstanding. 

We had grown into the game, and it’s sickening to lose it like that, but you can’t play a game sitting on your own 5 yard line and expect another outcome. 

Fieldson looks handy, and I felt McKenzie did well when he came on. Murray absolutely strolled that, and I like the look of Ujdur also. Special mention for Josh Hinds, being asked to play RWB. I felt he did really well, and with the exception of the goal 😬 he had that handy winger in his pocket. I’m not enough of a tactician to see where he fits in that team as a starter, but I hope we’ll see a lot more of him. Well done lads!

21 minutes ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Special mention for Josh Hinds, being asked to play RWB. I felt he did really well, and with the exception of the goal 😬 he had that handy winger in his pocket. I’m not enough of a tactician to see where he fits in that team as a starter, but I hope we’ll see a lot more of him. Well done lads!

I’ve been impressed with hinds everytime he’s been on the pitch. Good amount of pace, happy to do the dirty work and gets stuck in. Those qualities in a young guy with barely any 1st experience will stand him in good ground under Davidson. Feel like he lacks a wee bit of confidence taking on his man which is frustrating as he seems to have the pace and skills to do so effectively based on what I’ve seen so far. Guess that’ll come with more game time