The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

7 hours ago, spiderman1867 said:

Mackenzie to partner rudden?He's a full back is he not?

Sorry, meant McLeish as the 2nd forward in a 442.

4 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I’m afraid “financing another addition” means it’ll need to be a net zero, or near enough, transaction. Which means more than B squad. The committee were the same with McKinnon and Coyle. Here’s your budget, make it work.

Timings tricky too. When Callum rhymes off all his injury list I wonder where all these defenders are going to fit in. Hard to sell a guy who’s on the medics table.

Yup, budget not nearly as large as others seem to think, referenced in Craig Joyce’s podcast  interview with Leanne Crichton. A lot of relatively new signings who won’t be likely to be going anywhere else soon.  Would argue the only real saleable assets would be Thomas (unthinkable), Tizzard (unlikely to command a significant fee), Ferrie, or Thomson. 

As an aside, anyone else hoping that the sponsorship by Impact Glasgow, and I quote, ‘building solutions experts’ might involve more than just cash?

4 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

As an aside, anyone else hoping that the sponsorship by Impact Glasgow, and I quote, ‘building solutions experts’ might involve more than just cash?

How many prayers/sacrifices to the gods of stadium construction are needed?

25 minutes ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

In all honesty the defence is absolute rank, we needed a defensive midfielder and we don’t have a good proper striker who can come on and change the game.

We don't have a proper striker who can start the game,I'm sorry,I've reserved judgement on rudden till now,he's rank rotten!!!He constantly gives the ball away, he's always on his arse,when we attack he's  everywhere apart from where he should be, in the box!!Think your maybe being a bit harsh on Mcleish, he's coming on most weeks with 10/15 mins to go. Id start Mcleish next week against Edinburgh city,see what he's  got,but we still need another striker.

1 hour ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

4 points from 4 games tells its own story.

Tough start to the season, to be fair. I was really disappointed today but we've still not played any of the sides people would've expected to be closer to the bottom end of the table, and we've also had key players missing every week. The squad we have is flawed but I think it can be better than what we saw today, and I'm curious to see how we look against Morton/Accies/Dunfermline rather than the teams people think will do well.

Edited by Zanetti

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Tough start to the season, to be fair. I was really disappointed today but we've still not played any of the sides people would've expected to be closer to the bottom end of the table, and we've also had key players missing every week. The squad we have is flawed but I think it can be better than what we saw today, and I'm curious to see how we look against Morton/Accies/Dunfermline rather than the teams people think will do well.

Utterly poor today.Dont think  we are escaping a relegation battle. Every player is average or worse. Thomas and Kerr good on their day. Needed to be more serious on signings

Davidson not great

But  he could chuck it if we don't get more quality in. NOT Enough ambition from so called Board

First QP away game for me, and first game I've been able to attend this season.

Thought QP alternated between 'slow and predictable', where every rolled pass was telegraphed and easy to defend; and 'just give Zach something to chase', which was... easy to defend.

I'm all in for controlled, patient build up, but surely has to be quicker to create the space and opportunities.

Rudden is limited as a player, but the quality of service to him if QP go long, and the support around him when he has it, felt poor and - more worryingly - disorganised.

On the plus side: Hinds again, all energy and unpredictability, just seems to lift the tempo; a full away end that felt distinctly more youthful than Hampden

1 minute ago, Byekick said:

I'm all in for controlled, patient build up, but surely has to be quicker to create the space and opportunities.

Despite massive changes in personnel, on and off the park, there were times yesterday it felt like watching the Veldman or Ellis team. There was a spell in the early part of the second half when we faced the goal and had people running at defenders and Thistle weren’t coping with it. Nowhere near enough though.

12 hours ago, Take Me Home Cathcart Road said:

4 points from 4 games tells its own story.

That's four more than I thought we would get from that start. Hopefully the injured return soon. High time the club give us info on how long these guys could be out. Obviously we know about Fox but pretty mulch zilch on the others except Davidson's generalities which are a load of tripe.

6 hours ago, CathcartSkins said:

I felt that too.

Which makes the missed opportunity of a functioning Championship standard Lesser all the more criminal. 

To add to this point, I brought a pal with me that doesn't normally go to the football, and despite the result he seemed to enjoy it
He asked me when we were next playing in Glasgow and I had to inform him that I had no idea when he'd next be able to get a ticket for a game
Load of shite

As for the game itself, I feel our biggest issue (apart from set-pieces) was the middle of the park. We get the ball to one of our three CBs who then have a few options:
A) pass out to the near-side wing back, who's usually marked. Very risky
B) pass to Sean Welsh, who will have no idea what to do with the ball. Not great
C) hit a long ball up to Rudden, who will fail to gather it and we'll concede possession
D) hit a long ball for the far-side wing back, which is inevitably over-hit and while it can be caught, it leads to a slow underwhelming attack because thistle have all the time in the world to track back.
We don't have anyone in the midfield who can effectively get the ball forward imo. Turner and MacGregor are obviously talented but do hee haw and can't track back, and Welsh lacks the creativity. We really need Jack Thomson back in that midfield

Big missed chance of gainnig the upper hand against Partick for future games given the bad start they are making. Huge chance. Derbies sometimes are won before they are played, especially if you can get into the other teams players head.

That said (and as discussed thoroughly on here) Rudden is not Patton - he does Sheridan's job, but we need a poacher like Patton, a guy who can transform a mediocre team into contenders and make Rudden better by taking the majoriy of the pressure off him.

Shouldn't we have the money to spend, considering the sesson's sells?

Edited by SpiderFromMars