The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

4 hours ago, starshot131 said:

As for the game itself, I feel our biggest issue (apart from set-pieces) was the middle of the park. We get the ball to one of our three CBs who then have a few options:
A) pass out to the near-side wing back, who's usually marked. Very risky
B) pass to Sean Welsh, who will have no idea what to do with the ball. Not great
C) hit a long ball up to Rudden, who will fail to gather it and we'll concede possession
D) hit a long ball for the far-side wing back, which is inevitably over-hit and while it can be caught, it leads to a slow underwhelming attack because thistle have all the time in the world to track back.
We don't have anyone in the midfield who can effectively get the ball forward imo. Turner and MacGregor are obviously talented but do hee haw and can't track back, and Welsh lacks the creativity. We really need Jack Thomson back in that midfield

Turner not talented

Roddy some potential

Option C in the previous post worked fairly well last season with Sheridan, who was able to win flick-ons, and hold the ball up; allowing players to progress up the park and support.

Rudden looks big and strong but he’s a puddin’ in the air. I have a feeling the budget isn’t there, but if there’s a free agent available, or even if Sheridan still doesn’t have a club, why not ask the question again!

8 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Option C in the previous post worked fairly well last season with Sheridan, who was able to win flick-ons, and hold the ball up; allowing players to progress up the park and support.

I think this is right. 'Up, back and through' isn't exactly revolutionary tactically, but Sheridan played his 'up and back' part in that well last season. With players like Thomas and McGregor capable of making the pass, and Turner, Hinds, Duncan et al. all able of making the 'through' run. That feels pretty potent to me ...if QP get the first bit right

PTFC giving all fans a clear picture on their club ahead of their AGM. This section of the statement was particularly interesting. Given their time in this division they should know.

“However, the realities of competing in the second tier of Scottish football mean that, until promotion is achieved, maintaining a position of break even or better is usually only possible in one of a few ways:

• lucrative cup runs (mainly through playing Celtic or Rangers, which we last did in February 2023)
  • player trading
  • increased revenues from commercial partners and supporter groups”

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/partick-thistle-fc-finance-update-for-supporters/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0jrw8dIZwKvqhHiBAvSMUe0Fa1zjRvlAo2wKKQ7mBIuzoVNPXqUvqhI4g_aem_wY36Xk_1QYl-BpI5EjenuA

15 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

PTFC giving all fans a clear picture on their club ahead of their AGM. This section of the statement was particularly interesting. Given their time in this division they should know.

“However, the realities of competing in the second tier of Scottish football mean that, until promotion is achieved, maintaining a position of break even or better is usually only possible in one of a few ways:

• lucrative cup runs (mainly through playing Celtic or Rangers, which we last did in February 2023)
  • player trading
  • increased revenues from commercial partners and supporter groups”

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/partick-thistle-fc-finance-update-for-supporters/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0jrw8dIZwKvqhHiBAvSMUe0Fa1zjRvlAo2wKKQ7mBIuzoVNPXqUvqhI4g_aem_wY36Xk_1QYl-BpI5EjenuA

The drop off in revenue from fourth in 22/23 to 8th last year in addition to the Euan Henderson Cup fiasco,  (whatever that cost us) plus the enforced limits on match day revenue for the foreseeable would indicate to me that there’s a significant disconnect between what CD might state he wants in interviews to what he’s likely to get, which I assume from now on ‘till the end of the season, will be very little, without perhaps a ‘big name’ departure  

IMG_0482.jpeg

22 minutes ago, SpiderFromMars said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c7037110jj8o

I know it's too late now, but shouldn't this guy be one of the top priorities of the club (and guys alike him)?

We are one good striker away to being contenders.

Very apt username if you seriously think Queens Park should be spending £200k on a striker.

5 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

I know it's too late now, but shouldn't this guy be one of the top priorities of the club (and guys alike him)?

He’ll be on silly money in Saudi and we’re not going to pay big fees for players. In fairness, I think we’ve finally settled on a strategy. Bringing in players mostly under the age of 25, with the odd older head and try and bring through some of our own kids and do it within a budget.

Haughey could smash us into the top six in the top flight with spending power if the notion took him, but I think the one area we’re finally getting right is developing an identity for what we’re supposed to be on the pitch. 

5 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

He didn't like playing up here. 

6 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Very apt username if you seriously think Queens Park should be spending £200k on a striker.

I really think that the Welsh and (both of the) Irish leagues should be the number one draft options for developing players outside Scotland. A guy like Brad Young can get into the club on the cheap, if the homework is done properly - isn't that how we got Paton and Murray, for example? We don't need to spend 200k, we just need to be able to use a bit of the money we've got on players like him, before they move to other places.

2 hours ago, an86 said:

Haughey could smash us into the top six in the top flight with spending power if the notion took him, but I think the one area we’re finally getting right is developing an identity for what we’re supposed to be on the pitch. 

100% there is an identity (it was always there, we we're just unable to use it for long without the professional contracts) but we should also be able to use some of the money we've got on pinpoint players, especially those who are not easy to produce (like strikers, for example).

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

He didn't like playing up here. 

That can actually be a problem, I agree... playing in the Championship at a 900 seater stadium is not a very good way to allure a player. Maybe we could use the money to build a better stadium?...

All and all, losing Paton was never an easy fix, but we need something different from what we have - and that probably means money spent.

7 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

I really think that the Welsh and (both of the) Irish leagues should be the number one draft options for developing players outside Scotland. A guy like Brad Young can get into the club on the cheap, if the homework is done properly - isn't that how we got Paton and Murray, for example? 

Paton and Murray were pretty well-known before they got to QP. They weren't some hidden gems. 

1 hour ago, QPEast said:

Paton and Murray were pretty well-known before they got to QP. They weren't some hidden gems. 

Exactly - we splashed some money to get them, salary and / or fee.

We need a striker and If we do our homework properly, we don't need to spend the 200k that Young went for, we can do it for less but, at the same time, we have to know when to get them (Paton from D1, Murray from India). If the money is there, we need a piece of business as that (now a bit too late, but who knows for January).

This team (and Rudden) are crying for a poacher, it can be a pivotal moment (if we get one).

We’ve seen teams in the top flight using the N. Irish leagues to great effect. We saw ourselves that there’s quality at teams like Cliftonville- see Ronan Hale and who’s settled well into life at Ross County. Morton similarly have picked up the guy Davies that was scoring for fun in Wales. 

I’d like to see us making use of these leagues more. Had TNS not qualified for the league stage of the conference league, I’d have liked us to ask the question of Declan McManus. 

3 hours ago, SpiderFromMars said:

Exactly - we splashed some money to get them, salary and / or fee.

Maybe on salary, but not on fee; pretty sure Murray was released from Bidvest and Paton was at the end of his contract.  Anyone thinking that QP are ‘buying’ players, (exception maybe being a development fee), is going to be disappointed.

BBC saying Rangers have confirmed their game against Dundee on 21/9 will be at Ibrox. Think that means they have no more games at Hampden. I know the club announced the Morton game would be at Lesser but surely it would be common sense to switch this 🤷

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

BBC saying Rangers have confirmed their game against Dundee on 21/9 will be at Ibrox. Think that means they have no more games at Hampden. I know the club announced the Morton game would be at Lesser but surely it would be common sense to switch this 🤷

I would expect an imminent announcement from the club to that effect 🤣🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, HoustonSpider99 said:

Morton similarly have picked up the guy Davies that was scoring for fun in Wales.

And he's looked miles away from being good enough for this level so far, even looking out of his depth v League Two and Highland League sides in the League Cup. Young only scored 3 more goals than him last season.

22 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Maybe on salary, but not on fee; pretty sure Murray was released from Bidvest and Paton was at the end of his contract.  Anyone thinking that QP are ‘buying’ players, (exception maybe being a development fee), is going to be disappointed.

Davidson has been pretty transparent about the constraints he's working with to build a squad this year, especially recently. If he doesn't know whether there are funds to bring in another striker, which we're clearly desperate for, then it should be becoming obvious if it wasn't already that the budget for our playing squad is much closer to the likes of Morton and Airdrie than Raith/Thistle/Ayr etc.