The Big Queen's Park FC Thread

18 hours ago, CAL FERRIE IN GOALS said:

Just thought I’d mention that there is a brand new replica QP shirt on Dunnottar Retro

IMG_6476.png

Wouldn't bother.  Bought one and it's all printed (in dubious quality) on pretty cheap material and the black is pretty much a dark grey.  

On 12/10/2024 at 17:27, Mission said:

I hope this comment is a joke?

Our support is small enough, I would welcome any youngsters who want to make a noise and support the team.

A drum is annoying when it’s banged for 90 minutes straight even when the singing is quiet imo. No reason why younger fans couldn’t have one and give it a good whack here and there when singing starts or after a goal for example. A bit of common sense and balance applied here and it could be a great introduction that doesn’t annoy people. 

The QP fan base are so pleasant compared to other clubs in my experience but there is a degree of snobbery for new ideas. Encouraging more young fans should be a key objective for the club. 

24 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

The QP fan base are so pleasant compared to other clubs in my experience but there is a degree of snobbery for new ideas. Encouraging more young fans should be a key objective for the club. 

Totally agree. And the majority of the snobbery comes from those who offer nothing in terms of adding to the atmosphere. Barley get off their seats when we score never mind joining in with the singing.

17 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

A drum is annoying when it’s banged for 90 minutes straight even when the singing is quiet imo. No reason why younger fans couldn’t have one and give it a good whack here and there when singing starts or after a goal for example. A bit of common sense and balance applied here and it could be a great introduction that doesn’t annoy people. 

Nothing snobbish about me, living in a cooncil flat in Rutherglen and my sister, whom I visit twice a week, lives in one in Somerville Drive. Drums are for bands etc , not football matches. Why does one have to get off ones seat when we score a goal Gall? I can cheer and and clap sitting down.

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

Nothing snobbish about me, living in a cooncil flat in Rutherglen and my sister, whom I visit twice a week, lives in one in Somerville Drive. Drums are for bands etc , not football matches. Why does one have to get off ones seat when we score a goal Gall? I can cheer and and clap sitting down.

I don't think anyone's objecting to your sister staying in a council flat or you sitting down at the game, just seems a bit mad to try and inhibit folk making noise to get behind their team

2 hours ago, Dooflick said:

I think the reference to snobbery was more aimed at a notion (right or wrong) that your  stereotypical (circa 1896) QP fan was above making significant noise beyond that which would be appropriate at, for example, the West of Scotland Cricket Ground, e.g. muted applause.

No great opine either way, but I am forever banging on about striking a balance between honouring the finest traditions of the club whilst also ensuring the clubs relevance going forward.  Don't want to get all romantic here but beyond a love of the game/club, I'm sure most of us got hooked on football as a live spectator sport due to the whole theatre of the day; the journey to the stadium, the anticipation of walking up the steps and seeing the pitch etc for the first time, the smell of bovril, the chat and most importantly the atmosphere provided by the fans.  If a drum or two assists that, or provides that aura for a new legion of supporters, I'm all for it.  

Though, I'm sure in the finest traditions of the club, the committee, or as a final hurdle, G4S, will ensure some sort of skinned-instrument ban.

11 minutes ago, Spider1975 said:

Though, I'm sure in the finest traditions of the club, the committee, or as a final hurdle, G4S, will ensure some sort of skinned-instrument ban.

They've already been told the drum won't be allowed at Hampden; away fans have also tried to get one in before and were knocked back. Believe their intention is more to bring it to away games.

17 hours ago, Zanetti said:

"Drums and drumsticks" are listed as prohibited items in the stadium rules for Scotland games; can only assume they blindly follow that when we're at home too.

At last some common sense from the committee and the SFA. 

17 hours ago, Zanetti said:

"Drums and drumsticks" are listed as prohibited items in the stadium rules for Scotland games; can only assume they blindly follow that when we're at home too.

There was drums at the rangers games at Hampden, was there not?

15 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

How was Danny Wilson for you guys? We've signed him on a short term deal until January as cover

On the whole, absolutely fine. Good distributor of the ball and marshalled the guys around him well. In terms of a short term option, he’ll be fine for you guys

Could tell his legs were going though as he is criminally slow nowadays which he get exposed to a few times. And I don’t think his injury record was particularly great towards the very end of the season. I wouldn’t say i was extremely gutted when he left a couple months back 

Wish him well, he seemed a really good guy to have around the club

Edited by qpfc

5 minutes ago, qpfc said:

On the whole, absolutely fine. Good distributor of the ball and marshalled the guys around him well. In terms of a short term option, he’ll be fine for you guys

Could tell his legs were going though as he is criminally slow nowadays which he get exposed to a few times. And I don’t think his injury record was particularly great towards the very end of the season. I wouldn’t say i was extremely gutted when he left a couple months back 

Wish him well, he seemed a really good guy to have around the club

Cheers, sounds like a decent option to have as backup. Can't see him displacing Nottingham or McGowan with how solid they've been so far. 

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Cheers, sounds like a decent option to have as backup. Can't see him displacing Nottingham or McGowan with how solid they've been so far. 

I was under the impression the reason for leaving us was to return to the States where his family still were? That theory obviously doesn't hold water. Wonder if he got a roasting after the Hibs debacle and had enough?

1 minute ago, Stuntiethumper said:

I was under the impression the reason for leaving us was to return to the States where his family still were? That theory obviously doesn't hold water. Wonder if he got a roasting after the Hibs debacle and had enough?

He's only been given a contract until January with Livingston and the article mentions that he's still looking to move back to America, so presumably he just wasn't able to get the move he wanted.

Did a job for us last season when we needed experience at the back and seems like a really good guy, so I wish him all the best, but he was very poor vs Hibs (which I put down to him knowing he was away) and we've definitely got better options now.