Scotland v Armenia

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If we take 5 points from these 3 matches this time we won't be hoping our main competitors f**k it up though, since we'd be playing those main competitors twice in September.

It's a different situation as five points would be about par from these three games; everyone's a competitor in the Nations League groups (except maybe the fourth tier). I'd only start thinking we were probably screwed already if we ended up with a point or less from the Armenia games. Five points and we're on course.

Anyone who gets maximum points from these groups has put in a very decent showing indeed.

18 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

By all accounts, a mediocre ROI team are dominating Armenia away. 7 points should be our minimum target.

Winning in Dublin would be a very good result, but it would still be below England, Austria, or Denmark.

A draw would be the minimum expectation with our current relative squads strengths.

Still goalless, however  :thumsup2

Ooft, Armenia just had one disallowed.

28 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

By all accounts, a mediocre ROI team are dominating Armenia away. 7 points should be our minimum target.

Winning in Dublin would be a very good result, but it would still be below England, Austria, or Denmark.

A draw would be the minimum expectation with our current relative squads strengths.

We should beating Armenia by at least 2 goals. 

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Still goalless, however  :thumsup2

Ooft, Armenia just had one disallowed.

ROI have the better players, and are dominating possession but creating next to nothing.  Armenia could have scored twice, one disallowed and the other a worldly just past the upright.

My impression of ROI is that they continue to be a route one team, with little flair, or creativity.  Seems they haven’t changed much…

All that noted, it may completely suit them to play a British-style game against us, and just lump the ball long all day.  If they do, I’d be surprised if we didn’t do exactly the same thing…

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

My impression of ROI is that they continue to be a route one team, with little flair, or creativity.  

Sounds similar to another team watched recently 

I don't think people are appreciating just how abysmal Ireland's form is. They've now picked up 2 wins in 17 competitive matches under Kenny. They didn't win a single game in their Nations League group last time but managed to stay up because Bulgaria lost all their games against everyone not named Ireland.

We should be looking to win in Dublin next week - a draw wouldn't be a disaster but they are a mile off being the team of the O'Neill era who qualified for tournaments.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't think people are appreciating just how abysmal Ireland's form is. They've now picked up 2 wins in 17 competitive matches under Kenny. They didn't win a single game in their Nations League group last time but managed to stay up because Bulgaria lost all their games against everyone not named Ireland.

We should be looking to win in Dublin next week - a draw wouldn't be a disaster but they are a mile off being the team of the O'Neill era who qualified for tournaments.

I don't believe in gods but after today's reassuring result, I'll concede an "amen to that!" 

Missed the first half, but in the second Ireland didn't particularly look any better than when they lost to Luxembourg - they could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored.

Armenia don't look a whole lot better, but at least occasionally looked dangerous on the break until they went ahead. Hopefully Steve Clarke's got some ideas for switching things around if we struggle to create chances against them, as it's not out of the question to imagine a game where we can't break them down and end up suffer accordingly.

I'd missed that Norway just put nine past them. OYF. Being down to ten men for most of the game doesn't excuse that.

Armenia were pretty shite in the first half. Parrott was constantly dropping outside their midfield three or even wider, and when they went out to press he usually managed to play inside with ease. They were dragged by Ireland's LHS quite a lot in the first half and also looked really susceptible to blind-side runs across their backline (like us!). Didn't offer anything on the break either.

They were better in the second, tending to force Ireland back when they got the ball out wide and I think only got caught out by one direct pass in behind. Much more threat carrying the ball on the break, too, which worries me if they're running at Hanley and/or McKenna. Good players but certainly not the kind you want facing up an oncoming attacker.

We'll need more threat from our outside CBs than Ireland's gave today to try and disrupt their shape, especially considering it'll be wing-back v wing-back, and McGinn should hopefully get opportunities to roll their LCB.

I'm not feeling too great about the game over there tbh.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't know much about the current Ireland team 

However their main chance it seems was missed by a Rotherham player,  which tells you enough 

Doubt though we will go there 'looking' for a win more for a draw 

12 minutes ago, Binos said:

I don't know much about the current Ireland team 

However their main chance it seems was missed by a Rotherham player,  which tells you enough 

Doubt though we will go there 'looking' for a win more for a draw 

If Eire play like they did against Luxembourg and Armenia, we'll all be frothing if nobody manages to at least shank in a winner at some point.

3 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

In other evidence that we are indeed in strange times, Hungary are 1-0 up against England. 

Didn't they just draw with the Magyars at Wembley?

It's traditional for England not to learn lessons from a poor result against Hungary.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They also lost to Luxembourg

Ireland are utter gash