Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

There's a fair to middling chance there will be no relegation this season, if for example East Kilbride beat Elgin City in the playoffs. A club being relegated to the Highland League is looking more likely at this point than it normally does, especially if Forfar Athletic are also officially confirmed (this hasn't happened publicly yet but appears to be what's happening) to be relegated to the HL if they are club 42.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There's a fair to middling chance there will be no relegation this season, if for example East Kilbride beat Elgin City in the playoffs. A club being relegated to the Highland League is looking more likely at this point than it normally does, especially if Forfar Athletic are also officially confirmed (this hasn't happened publicly yet but appears to be what's happening) to be relegated to the HL if they are club 42.

There is also the possibility , however slim it may be, for the likes of Forfar to choose the LL, thanks to the SPFL insisting on freedom of choice.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

True. You could also get Brechin winning the playoff against Clyde, and Pollok promoted from the West Of Scotland League, with Edinburgh University (to EOSFL) and Gretna (to SOSFL) both relegated this season. 

Thus current rel/pro scenario from the LL was brought in the season Selkirk drifted off into the Ettrick (18-19).

There are 6 new clubs who went in league at the time. 

Can one of them not put forward a motion to review what was put in place then?

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

There was no comment on the league from me, only your never ending whataboutery. 

What do you mean by my derailing your post? Did you expect people to think, "Hey that guy knows what he's talking about. The fact that he's been to lots of LL games makes me think he may be right that either Gretna or Edinburgh will get relegated". You stated the blatantly obvious like you were foretelling the Ides of March.

By all means comment but don't be surprised when you get pulled up for talking mince. This would happen in normal conversation so why are you so outraged if it happens on an online forum?

I'm not outraged, you say stupid stuff saying I'm thinking this and thinking that when you haven't got a clue, you like to think what I'm thinking's but your so wrong, meaning I must be on your mind, as I said you just derail posts and don't contribute much to the forum and when other posters make comments that you don't like or dislike them, then you do the same to them, its easy for anyone to find out how blatant you are at derailing posts. 

I don't expect anything from here, as everyone has their own view, people read all kinds of posts and make their own assumptions and usually when anyone posts they hope its conveyed or understood the way that its intended.   Because I go to games in the Lowland, West, South, East etc.. does not mean I'm an authority in it, far from it,  what it does mean is that I'm clear in my view as I've actually watched the teams I'm talking about. 

I have not seen Gretna nor Edinburgh Uni this season, I did last year but reading and hearing both have improved a little this season but get the impression that the rest of the league have improved stronger and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I didn't state blatantly, i stated my view as i believe it and I'm not blinkered in anyway due to supporting or liking or disliking any team.  The two weakest teams I think in this strong league are Edinburgh Uni and Gretna and I believe both will be fighting out the relegation positions,  (depends if the Lowland league champions lose or win the playoff and are promoted or not promoted then this could decide if there is relegation or no relegation this season).  If one is relegated I believe the other will be relegated after the following season.

What my post is meaning is that the Lowland league is at its strongest its ever been and the two weakest teams in it are those two listed and once the clear weaker teams are relegated and stronger teams promoted and I think fair strong teams coming down who are relegated from the SPFL2 then the Lowland League will be an immense league

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

On 08/09/2023 at 09:22, LongTimeLurker said:

Forfar will be in the same predicament as Brechin City were, they made threats that they should be going to the Lowland, that they will go to court but their location is definitive and that's what should show the right league they will be playing if relegated.

The pyramid teams are all changing, meaning stronger teams lower down can now come up, (obviously we can have that in-depth view and chat of how the SFA etc.. are trying to keep it cliquish and many other reasons why its not faster movement but that's for later).  The landscape is changing when you look at teams now in the SPFL; Edinburgh City, Kelty, Bonnyrigg Rose, The Spartans, all had reasonable success although City aint doing too well this season but it will always fluctuate and you look at teams, well known SPFL teams now lower down, East Stirlinghsire, Berwick Rangers, Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, Brechin City etc.. you can clearly see the Pyramid is working and that's only with the SPFL allowing no outright relegation and the bottom club in a playoff. 

We have all made big strides in what i believe is the improvement of Scottish football in a fair way, (or fairer way that it used to be).  There are lots of quality teams looking to move up to the Lowland and beyond and it will only help the Lowland become ever stronger and once we get a more fluid relegation, promotion right throughout the pyramid then it will be a lot faster in movement and better teams will rise and teams will find their true level and this also means the way the clubs are run,  good or bad.

A lot more has to be done but we are all moving in the right direction

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Forfar will be in the same predicament as Brechin City did, threats that they should be going to the Lowland, tat they will go to court but their location is definitive and that's what should show what league they will be playing if relegated...

The rules in place now are that they could opt for the LL and if either the HL or LL didn't agree to that then the SFA board would ultimately decide. Nothing officially announced on that but people on here apparently have been told privately that they opted for the HL, which should be non-controversial. The SFA forced a change in exchange for signing off on rule changes that were needed to accommodate the Old Firm B teams.

On 08/09/2023 at 23:15, ekok said:

Just think, we are having these conversations,  when for decades there was zero chance of any movement in or out of the SPFL. Not anywhere near perfect,  but serious progress made.

Ekok your 100% right

We have made serious progress, obviously slower than we had hoped and there's bumps along the road with the SFA and the Old Firm together trying to put their teams in the Pyramid and also more rules being applied, which we knew would happen to make it more difficult but the pyramid is here and here to stay
When you look at some of the teams who have made it up , thriving in the SPFL ; Edinburgh City, Cove Rangers, Kelty, Bonnyrigg Rose and The Spartans, all had reasonable success although City ain't doing too well this season but it will always fluctuate and you look at teams, well known SPFL teams, now lower down, East Stirlinghshire, Berwick Rangers, Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, Brechin City etc..   I think its fantastic, now that no team in the SPFL can be relaxed about thinking they will stay in the SPFL if they don't get on top of their game. 

I think every team who has moved up are there on merit because they were ran well and won their championship and playoff and the teams who have been relegated are there on merit because they just were not good enough but guess what, they have the same opportunity as every other team in the lowland or below tier 5, they can still get themselves sorted and go and win the championship and playoffs, its there for every team, even the ones who all they have to do is put  a bit of work in and gain their SFA license.   👍

More Info added

Albion Rovers 3-2 West Park United

Got away with one there.

On a day where we hit the woodwork 3 times and could have won 7-0 we switched off after being 2-0 up and allowed west park to draw level in the 90th minute, only to grab a winner in stoppage time

Edited by Chris_the_rover