Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

I have to admit that I'm (almost) as intransigent in my position as those I disagree with. I will never accept that a league, and it's clubs, who engaged with the pyramid from the beginning should make way for the convenience of those who didn't, and in many cases still don't. So what can we do, aside from whine about the SOSL on as many different boards and threads as possible?

Also, unless you're all in possession of crystal balls, there is no guarantee that Dalbeattie Star, for example, will still be outmatched by the likes of Broxburn in 5, 10 or 15 years time. Remember when Clyde knocked Celtic out the cup and almost got promoted to the top division? Now look at them...

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Remember when Clyde knocked Celtic out the cup and almost got promoted to the top division? Now look at them...

A one-off game against a headcase of a team that had Du Wei playing at centre back

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I have to admit that I'm (almost) as intransigent in my position as those I disagree with. I will never accept that a league, and it's clubs, who engaged with the pyramid from the beginning should make way for the convenience of those who didn't, and in many cases still don't. So what can we do, aside from whine about the SOSL on as many different boards and threads as possible?

Also, unless you're all in possession of crystal balls, there is no guarantee that Dalbeattie Star, for example, will still be outmatched by the likes of Broxburn in 5, 10 or 15 years time. Remember when Clyde knocked Celtic out the cup and almost got promoted to the top division? Now look at them...

This is the type of attitude that stops us having a properly structured Pyramid with sensible pro/rel throughout.  All little fiefdom's beligerantly defending what they have with zero thought about the bigger picture.

25 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

This is the type of attitude that stops us having a properly structured Pyramid with sensible pro/rel throughout.  All little fiefdom's beligerantly defending what they have with zero thought about the bigger picture.

Honestly don’t see what the issue is here? Couple of posters on here defending the South of Scotland league position within the pyramid system and you/others having a go at them - why?

None of those teams have stopped the likes of Tranent and Broxburn getting promoted to the lowland League. If the likes of Dalbeattie & (can’t remember the team who Tranent/Darvel met). Win play-offs, they deserve to go up. On both occasions, they lost, so no damage done to EoS sides.

There are many flaws about the pyramid system, but surely SoSL isn’t one of them. 

21 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Honestly don’t see what the issue is here? Couple of posters on here defending the South of Scotland league position within the pyramid system and you/others having a go at them - why?

None of those teams have stopped the likes of Tranent and Broxburn getting promoted to the lowland League. If the likes of Dalbeattie & (can’t remember the team who Tranent/Darvel met). Win play-offs, they deserve to go up. On both occasions, they lost, so no damage done to EoS sides.

There are many flaws about the pyramid system, but surely SoSL isn’t one of them. 

If you don't understand the point being made, best to leave it.

12 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

If you don't understand the point being made, best to leave it.

Thanks for the red dot again. Bet you wish you had patented it!

Do you have a large stock of paper hankies to hand, 😭😭, when anyone has the audacity not to agree with you?

Just now, Casey Jones said:

Thanks for the red dot again. Bet you wish you had patented it!

Do you have a large stock of paper hankies to hand, 😭😭, when anyone has the audacity not to agree with you?

Seriously, don't get involved if you're incapable of understanding what the point is.  

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

Seriously, don't get involved if you're incapable of understanding what the point is.  

You really are a self-centred twat. Are you the P&B police, trying to give me the equivalent of a red card🤣🤣

Just now, Casey Jones said:

You really are a self-centred twat. Are you the P&B police, trying to give me the equivalent of a red card🤣🤣

So you wade into something where you completely miss the point, and now you're calling posters "twats".  Jog on 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

So you wade into something where you completely miss the point, and now you're calling posters "twats".  Jog on 🤦‍♂️

So, no one can make a point on an open-forum unless they agree with you? 

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Perhaps going forward some kind of conference league between league 2 and the lowland and highland is the way to go.

Certainly wouldnt have any b teams allowed in it.

This would expand both Lowland and highland to more clubs

The initial setup wouldnt be difficult top 5 from both leagues to a ten team conference alongside the normal playoff.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who would pay for all the increased travel costs and reduced away support?

If there was enough will for this type of league it could work.

I've said this on here before, but a league of 12 with 6 HL clubs in a "Highland Conference" and 6 LL clubs a "Lowland Conference". Play everyone in your own conference four times (20 games) and everyone in the other conference twice (12 games). 32 in total. Winner of each conference plays-off for the overall title, bottom of each conference relegated.

Clubs only have 6 journeys outside of their "usual" region, but it would deal with the massive competitiveness issues that plague both leagues.

However, it doesn't include B teams so wouldn't suit the Lowland League and doesn't have cup competitions taking up the whole season and everyone playing out pointless 10-0 wins against bottom top clubs so wouldn't suit the Highland League.

1 minute ago, Casey Jones said:

So, no one can make a point on an open-forum unless they agree with you? 

So first you quote me and ask me a question that has been answered over the preceding couple of pages, then you chuck abuse at me, and now you're making stuff up.  Stop making an utter arse of yourself.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've said this on here before, but a league of 12 with 6 HL clubs in a "Highland Conference" and 6 LL clubs a "Lowland Conference". Play everyone in your own conference four times (20 games) and everyone in the other conference twice (12 games). 32 in total. Winner of each conference plays-off for the overall title, bottom of each conference relegated.

Clubs only have 6 journeys outside of their "usual" region, but it would deal with the massive competitiveness issues that plague both leagues.

However, it doesn't include B teams so wouldn't suit the Lowland League and doesn't have cup competitions taking up the whole season and everyone playing out pointless 10-0 wins against bottom top clubs so wouldn't suit the Highland League.

A "buffer" between L2 and HL/LL was the aim of the Conference, and the inclusion of B teams was to pay for it and give relegated L2 teams some money.  Forget all the crap from Maxwell about developing players for Scotland.  If it wasn't for the social media campaign which spooked a lot of clubs, it probably would have been voted through IMO.

I don't believe the Conference idea is completely dead, the SFA don't give up that easily and there will be support from the SPFL.  What that looks like and when they try again is anyones guess, but it will almost certainly include B teams.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's nothing like the thrill of a minnow like Clach taking on the big teams and beating them, like we did to Buckie and BoD this season, also drawing with Fraserburgh. Taking the top 6 away in one go would ruin the league.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There's nothing like the thrill of a minnow like Clach taking on the big teams and beating them, like we did to Buckie and BoD this season, also drawing with Fraserburgh. Taking the top 6 away in one go would ruin the league.

There didn't seem much enthusiasm from the HL clubs for Maxwell's Conference.

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

A "buffer" between L2 and HL/LL was the aim of the Conference, and the inclusion of B teams was to pay for it and give relegated L2 teams some money.  Forget all the crap from Maxwell about developing players for Scotland.  If it wasn't for the social media campaign which spooked a lot of clubs, it probably would have been voted through IMO.

I don't believe the Conference idea is completely dead, the SFA don't give up that easily and there will be support from the SPFL.  What that looks like and when they try again is anyones guess, but it will almost certainly include B teams.

I could see them giving it another go with B-teams along with the ex-SPFL 5, they really don't give a f**k.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I could see them giving it another go with B-teams along with the ex-SPFL 5, they really don't give a f**k.

Rangers B

Celtic B

Hearts B

Albion Rovers

Berwick Rangers

Cowdenbeath

East Stirlingshire

Brechin City

Play x6 for 42 games, plenty of home gate income and the winner can have a playoff with the real LL and HL champions for a chance to play club 42

Hold me back... 

49 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What are the "massive competitiveness issues that plague both leagues"?

6 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

What are the "massive competitiveness issues that plague both leagues"?

Have you looked at the league tables of either? Teams on single figure points or very close, clubs conceding over 100 goals, regular 7-0+ scorelines.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have you looked at the league tables of either? Teams on single figure points or very close, clubs conceding over 100 goals, regular 7-0+ scorelines.

For the LL, that'll probably disappear once Gretna go down this season.  Otherwise, its a very competitive league.