Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

27 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Pot 5 with increased appearance and prize money.  No fuss this year: all the LL raging and fussing is about another cup.

No Way What GIF by Rosanna Pansino

That has to be the most embarrassingly pathetic thing I have read yet! 

Poor Cowden still aren't taking this Lowland League adventure well, we're all just big bad bullies 😂

22 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Poor Cowden still aren't taking this Lowland League adventure well, we're all just big bad bullies 😂

Fussing and raging is your  prerogative. Personally, I don't give a shit.

1 minute ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Fussing and raging is your  prerogative. Personally, I don't give a shit.

Not raging at all, just laughing at how you continue to prove my point

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Better get used to it, they're here for the long haul.

I have read all the various comments being put forward regarding the teams in the SOSFL and why they should not be at tier 6 level. I now wish to add my views on it all.

First of all, I have no argument that the SOSFL is not at the same level as the top East and West leagues.

A view being put forward is that the reason the standard is so poor is because the league is not competitive enough and that the league champion will never improve simply because they are playing lower quality teams.

There is also the view being put forward that the SOSFL should become part of the WOSFL as that would let them find their own proper level.

I do not accept the view being put forward regarding as to why the league needs to be part of the WOS to play in a competitive league.

My view on the standard of the league has nothing to do with how the competitive the teams are in the SOS league

I believe the teams would see little improvement if they all moved to become part of the WOS.

My reason for this view is a very simple one – the pool of quality players available in the SOS is a very shallow one !!

I reckon if all the top players in the SOS were brought together to play in specific teams then there might be 3 quality teams competing – at a stretch.

As it is these better players are spread thinly across the teams in the league.

The better players in the SOS have in the main all played for the better teams at some time or another in their playing careers.

My view on the SOSFL is simply leave them where they are, at the level they are at because at the end of the day, all it gives the champions of the east and west leagues is 2 extra games !

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Pot 5 with increased appearance and prize money.  No fuss this year: all the LL raging and fussing is about another cup.

They won their leagues what's the problem.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

1 person not all of us.

The structure of the pyramid is actually quite logical and based on a simple three tiered principle, with local regional leagues, feeding into larger regional leagues, feeding into the national league.

------------------------ SPFL

----------HL ----------------------- LL

NCL, North Junior, Midland ------ EOS, WOS, SOS

Too many people get hung up on the relative strengths of each local regional league.  What does it matter that the NCL and the SOS have only 12 clubs each?  It's not the fault of the SOS that there are 80 teams in the WOS. If the best clubs in those leagues are not at the same standard as the others at the same tier, then they won't progress to a higher tier or win inter regional cup competitions. No-one loses out.   Each local league is ultimately only responsible for the clubs in its region.  If you feel that the SOS should be at tier 10, then you could equally argue the teams in the WOS Prem, shouldn't have to face clubs in WOS D4 in cup competitions, such is the difference in standard.

There are perfectly valid arguments to be had about the population imbalances at HL & LL level, e.g. should the LL be split LLE and LLW? However the geographical split and travel distances involved in the local regional leagues make sense (with the odd exception!)

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

1 person not all of us.

Tbf if you asked me last season, I'd have Cowdenbeath up there as a club I really liked. Grew up a Hearts fan, had family in Fife, watched you playing up in Dingwall a lot when I was up there and always remember loving Craig Levein as a tot, so always had a soft spot for you. A lot of the time recently I've fishing for a reaction (which I keep getting) when I mention anything so don't take everything I say to heart, I know most of you are proper sound, just didn't have the rest down as being so soft 😉

Is it the lowland and highland league that stop promotions from below? Beith etc.

Youd think licenses shouldnt matter to get promoted to the Highland or Lowland leagues

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

Is it the lowland and highland league that stop promotions from below? Beith etc.

Youd think licenses shouldnt matter to get promoted to the Highland or Lowland leagues

The lowland and Highland league are part of the professional game board. The point of the license is to drive standards up the way. If it was left to the west juniors we would still be pissing against walls Instead of having 150k toilet blocks 

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

Licensing has been about the only thing that matters about the Lowland League. Its the reason it exists.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Why should they matter in League 1 or 2? If the Highland League didn't require floodlights we'd never get finished.

Edited by welshbairn

5 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Suppose in every pyramid system you will have to reach a level where teams must be licensed to get in so ultimately to reach a certain tier there must be a cutoff.

Obviously to get into the Highland League and Lowland League, teams from the midland league, North Caledonian and North league need to be licensed to get into the Highland league and teams from the East, West and South leagues have to be licensed to get into the Lowland league.

You will also have in any pyramid that a regional league will eventually go into the national league.
For example, you have the WOSFL, SOSFL and the EOSFL competing to reach the Lowland and once they reach the Lowland then that covers the whole are that those three league cover and then if your promoted from the lowland to the SPFL2 you now reach the national league which can encompass the whole country.

I think this is fine the way it works for the size of Scotland

6 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Does anyone know when league fixtures are announced?

SPFL are generally last week of June, think LL is usually the following week