The Queen of the South thread

He's never had a decent run at holding midfield though, that's my point/the thing I would like to see. In the few games he's played he's been played CM, AM, DM and in one game he was playing near enough striker (not from the beginning, he came off he bench. I can't remember what game that was though, but it was at Palmerston and he was definitely the closest player to Lyle that day).

I reckon we wouldn't perform any worse than we currently are if the boy was given a run of 6/7 games playing the holding midfield role.

O/T slightly but it took me until 43 minutes last night to realise Jacobs was playing! I like him as a player tbh and I'm not exaggerating with what I say. He went in for a challenge near the half way line at the end of the half and I asked who the hell that was? Then I realised it was Jacobs. I was either extremely unobservant last night or Jacobs was extremely quiet, as he's normally right in amongst it. It was likely the former explanation right enough :lol:

No, fair point. In my opinion, I dont think its something thats going to suddenly make him a first team capable player or something we can really risk right now. A run of two or three defeats and we could easily be dragged into the playoff battle at the wrong end.

This term holding midfielder has become a standard feature in our game - is it too much to look for good midfielders to be able to do a bit of everything - tackle, keep the team shape, create chances, get into goal scoring positions and score a few goals now and again?

I fear that the role of holding mdfielder is becoming a slot for players with limited ability who are unnecessary if you can find some good all round midfielders who can do a bit of everything.

Unless I am mistaken i dont think any of our central midfielders have scored a solitory goal this season and more worringly i cant remember any of them making the vital pass that has assisted a goal. I may be wrong in that perception but when you stop and analyse that ( if correct) it puts a lot of pressure on the forward players like Lyle and Russell who between them tend to give us a chance of scoring.

Too much to look for? Good question. Ideally, absolutely not. Realistically, maybe. Looking around the other Championship teams none of their midfielders jump out as being that kind of player. Even at the top level of football there are as many "holding" midfielders as there are all-rounders, probably more.

Theres no doubt we should be getting more from our central midfield. I dont think that automatically means we have to expect them to all be running around doing everything, though. As I said, I think Jacobs and Hutton would give reasonable protection to the back four and pushing Millar forward could allow him to get more involved in the game, particularly going forward

Conroy was scoring goals from midfield early in the season then all of a sudden stops doing so.

Conroy scored from a free kick against Stranraer and had a volley straight from a corner v Annan. Not really what you would call "scoring goals from midfield".

He hasn't scored a single goal against a Championship team, either in the league or in the 2 cup ties.

Hutton, Millar, Jacobs and Harris haven't scored a goal against anybody.

Right enough there Flash with Conroy only scoring two goals. It is rather concerning how much Queens are relying on Lyle and Russell to score goals this season. Fourteen scored by those two players, Lyle 9 and Russell 5 from the 24 goals scored by Queens in both league and cup games this season.

Pretty poor return with no midfielders scoring goals versus fellow Championship teams.

Edited by RUSTY1111

Right enough there Flash with Conroy only scoring two goals. It is rather concerning how much Queens are relying on Lyle and Russell to score goals this season. Fourteen scored by those two players, Lyle 9 and Russell 5 from the 24 goals scored by Queens in both league and cup games this season.

Pretty poor return with no midfielders scoring goals versus fellow Championship teams.

To be pedantic I'd suggest Russell was playing a midfield wide left role by the time he scored on Friday evening, though he started the game as a striker. Gary Oliver's two goals at Alloa were both scored from a right midfield starting position that day too.

However, it's generally a fair point to say we're not getting enough goals this season from non-strikers. We have so far scored 24 goals in total I think. 18 in the league and 6 in the cups. Between them, Lyle, Russell, Hilson, Heffernan, Oliver and Aidan Smith have 20 of those goals (notwithstanding that 3 of them were scored whilst playing elsewhere). The other four goals are Conroy's two set piece goals as described above, Lewis Kidd's strike from a half cleared corner at Livingston early season and the own goal Gasparotti headed into his own net v Morton under pressure from Brownlie.

To be fair you could argue that Russell was in a wide midfield role when he scored the other night but when out wide it is easier to get in the box and get "ahead of the ball" than when in central midfield. That said Russell is essentially a striker who is capable of doing a job wide left. Whether that is his best position is another question but one thing you get from Russell is a hunger to make things happen even when he starts a game poorly. He was having a bit of a stinker in first half against Raith but yet again he scored a vital goal and generally came on to a decent match. I am pretty sure that Raith were delighted when he was hooked as defenders hate playing against.

Hutton for me is a luxury we can ill afford - yes he can be neat and tidy on the ball but in deep positions and by no stretch of the imagination is he a grafter in the way that Jacobs is so naturally you hope that he will be a creator or scorer of goals and to date there has been no evidence of that. Jacobs on the other hand really battles in the way that McKenna and Burns did so he is an energy provider for the team so gets my vote on that basis. Millar is a player who is fitter than he was so credit to him for that and he has ability to make and score goals but amazingly he has done the square root of zero in both departments.

The defence with Dowie and Higgy back is decent enough and if we get Hillson back we have reasonable options up front but I would prefer to see Smith getting more game time as his pace gives us an added dimension. Midfield though needs a rocket under it to get some traction and make us less predictable.

Kevin mccann is training with us, think he is predominantly a right back. I'm not sure if he would help us out much!! But then again there ain't that many players that are free agents that might help us. Hopefully utilise the loan market.

To be fair you could argue that Russell was in a wide midfield role when he scored the other night but when out wide it is easier to get in the box and get "ahead of the ball" than when in central midfield. That said Russell is essentially a striker who is capable of doing a job wide left. Whether that is his best position is another question but one thing you get from Russell is a hunger to make things happen even when he starts a game poorly. He was having a bit of a stinker in first half against Raith but yet again he scored a vital goal and generally came on to a decent match. I am pretty sure that Raith were delighted when he was hooked as defenders hate playing against.

Hutton for me is a luxury we can ill afford - yes he can be neat and tidy on the ball but in deep positions and by no stretch of the imagination is he a grafter in the way that Jacobs is so naturally you hope that he will be a creator or scorer of goals and to date there has been no evidence of that. Jacobs on the other hand really battles in the way that McKenna and Burns did so he is an energy provider for the team so gets my vote on that basis. Millar is a player who is fitter than he was so credit to him for that and he has ability to make and score goals but amazingly he has done the square root of zero in both departments.

The defence with Dowie and Higgy back is decent enough and if we get Hillson back we have reasonable options up front but I would prefer to see Smith getting more game time as his pace gives us an added dimension. Midfield though needs a rocket under it to get some traction and make us less predictable.

This.

To be fair, I don't think Hutton would have been a first pick if Burns had stayed. Burns decided to leave quite late into the pre-season preparations, probably leaving Hutton as a kind of last resort. It could be that the first choice midfield would have included Burns and Tapping. With those two being unavailable it has meant more game time for Hutton and more defensive duties for Millar which he isn't good at.

Totally agree about playing Smith up front. Even if he sometimes takes the wrong option or whatever, I'd rather have pace in attack than somebody with more ability who can't run.

I'd be tempted to play the team that started the second half v Raith as far as we can, Millar in that more advanced role with Jacobs and Hutton defending just in front of the back 4. However, I would also consider playing Smith instead of Lyle and Pickard instead of Hutton.

I'd be tempted to play the team that started the second half v Raith as far as we can, Millar in that more advanced role with Jacobs and Hutton defending just in front of the back 4. However, I would also consider playing Smith instead of Lyle and Pickard instead of Hutton.

Isn't Harris unavailable this weekend and unable to play against his parent club Hibs

Isn't Harris unavailable this weekend and unable to play against his parent club Hibs

Yeah, that''s why I said "as far as we can". Not ideal, but maybe play Oliver there today.

Queens are now pushing for a top 4

Is there still any mad Queens fans who think Queens will make the top 4.

Just staying in the league will do me.

If we go out the cup in Jan then Fowler has to go.

We play poor defensive football under Fowler.

The A.G.M. is it not far away wonder if Fowler will get it easy this season