The Queen of the South thread

There's this general tendency each season for fans to moan about the standard in this division and say that it's well down on previous years. I usually think it's overstated and that the standard actually tends not to alter that much beyond minor fluctuations.

This season though, it really is grim when you get below third. I think we're really pretty poor, but obviously we're very much in the play-off hunt.

It's really not a very enjoyable season at all.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

There's this general tendency each season for fans to moan about the standard in this division and say that it's well down on previous years. I usually think it's overstated and that the standard actually tends not to alter that much beyond minor fluctuations.

This season though, it really is grim when you get below third. I think we're really pretty poor, but obviously we're very much in the play-off hunt.

It's really not a very enjoyable season at all.

Nail on the head. Going on Saturday not expecting a win here's hoping I am wrong.

I was having a look at the stats on the OS. Lyle and Russell have 7 league goals each. Oliver is next on 2. Then we have a small collection on 1. That's an appalling return.

Is it too early to be worrying about next season already? Lyle can't go on forever and has already surpassed expectations second time around. For all that I really like him as a player, the only consistent thing about Russell is his inconsistency.

Wikipedia's season's page is accurate also;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%80%9316_Queen_of_the_South_F.C._season

lots of people moan about Fowler tactics but for me he had always had very attack minded players in his starting 11.

And has yet to decide what is his best starting 11. That's my biggest gripe with Fowler. You can't expect results instantly and changing your starting 11 just because it didn't win the week before isn't the answer. Players need time to gel together, not knowing who is playing from week to week has been the main thing that has pissed me off this season. He needs to decide what he feels is his best starting 11 and give them a decent run of games together. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone.

I'm not calling for his head at this stage though as any manager would have struggled this term considering who we lost. But if his chop and change style continues into next term I'd be struggling to defend him at all tbh.

And has yet to decide what is his best starting 11. That's my biggest gripe with Fowler. You can't expect results instantly and changing your starting 11 just because it didn't win the week before isn't the answer. Players need time to gel together, not knowing who is playing from week to week has been the main thing that has pissed me off this season. He needs to decide what he feels is his best starting 11 and give them a decent run of games together. Chopping and changing doesn't help anyone.

I'm not calling for his head at this stage though as any manager would have struggled this term considering who we lost. But if his chop and change style continues into next term I'd be struggling to defend him at all tbh.

The counter argument to that, of course, is that sometimes you think a certain formation or playing certain players will get a result against certain teams.

I think he's getting closer to knowing his best 8 or 9 players. The back five picks itself, with Brownlie currently in for Higgins but, you assume, dropping out when the captain is fit. Hutton and Millar generally start in the midfield. Russell and Lyle more often than not start in the forward positions. Rotating that 3rd midfielder and 3 striker isnt a bad thing, in my opinion.

Yeah I can't say I'd list "chopping and changing" of the line up as a major failing of the manager. If anything I think there is an argument for saying he hasn't changed it enough with players playing every week despite not hitting particularly great heights!

Realistically though I can't find any major flaws in Fowler's tactics, which is a bit frustrating considering how poor we've been. In previous years we've been left frustrated by stubborn managers making glaring mistakes (Ian McCall and his obsession with 3-5-2, Chisholm shunting Stevie Tosh out wide, McIntyre and his needless meddling, and countless others). Alas this season we are suffering from mediocrity rather than incompetence. Although it is probably the lesser of two evils, it's a lot harder to pin point a solution.

As Mr X says the back five picks itself, and Lyle and Russell are mainstays (which in itself is a worry as discussed in my previous post). I can't see our fortunes suddenly changing by playing Jacobs instead of Hutton, or Pickard instead of Millar, or Oliver instead of Harris etc. It's a very beige squad and Fowler is responsible for assembling it, but I don't think I'd particularly accuse him of not utilising it correctly.

Beige is probably a good description of Fowler and the team built in his image - he doesn't do anything particularly well and he doesn't make consistently awful mistakes. But it is quite boring to look at.

Yeah I can't say I'd list "chopping and changing" of the line up as a major failing of the manager. If anything I think there is an argument for saying he hasn't changed it enough with players playing every week despite not hitting particularly great heights!

Realistically though I can't find any major flaws in Fowler's tactics, which is a bit frustrating considering how poor we've been. In previous years we've been left frustrated by stubborn managers making glaring mistakes (Ian McCall and his obsession with 3-5-2, Chisholm shunting Stevie Tosh out wide, McIntyre and his needless meddling, and countless others). Alas this season we are suffering from mediocrity rather than incompetence. Although it is probably the lesser of two evils, it's a lot harder to pin point a solution.

As Mr X says the back five picks itself, and Lyle and Russell are mainstays (which in itself is a worry as discussed in my previous post). I can't see our fortunes suddenly changing by playing Jacobs instead of Hutton, or Pickard instead of Millar, or Oliver instead of Harris etc. It's a very beige squad and Fowler is responsible for assembling it, but I don't think I'd particularly accuse him of not utilising it correctly.

Yes, I'd tend to agree.

If we're talking tactical gripes, mine would involve a real lack of ambition in certain games, particularly away ones. Our failure to get forward meaningfully at Ibrox (even though we scored), Easter Road and Falkirk was glaring.

I know all teams do it a bit, but the daft time wasting antics we indulge in are indicative of a limiting mind set, as well as counterproductive.

As you say though, our failings owe more to who we have, rather than how they're deployed.

I was trying to think of a season's highlight the other day. I've only been to a couple of away games, so there's possibly been the odd good performance - I think we beat Livingston well for example.

The best I could do though was come up with the 2-2 draw at Palmerston against Falkirk.

Nobody's high point of the season should be a home point against Falkirk.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We came within a whisker of being the first side to take a point from Rangers in that game, but I honestly felt we were poor on the day.

That's the reason it was our best performance, with almost being the first team to gain a point, although in saying that, the team did sit in during the second half. Edited by RUSTY1111

The only game I've seen that I've enjoyed was the Dumbarton game at the start of the season, which incidentally is the last time I've seen Queens win, the next best game is the 0-0 at Falkirk.

I really don't know why I bother...

That's the reason it was our best performance, with almost being the first team to gain a point, although in saying that, the team did sit in during the second half.

Yes, but that doesn't in itself make it a great performance.

We got terribly deep in the second half, but even much earlier we were panicky and rushed in possession. Even our defending lacked composure and eventually slipped when we allowed a cross into the box by not pressing it.

A draw would have been welcome, but nobody had an entertaining afternoon. When the approach fails in its sole objective anyway, it's difficult to look back on it as a highlight.