The Queen of the South thread

Imo Fowler's problem in addressing any issues we have is to become even more cautious. I'm not having a go at Pickard, but he seems to have taken on the role Fowler first tried with Kidd against Hibs, although in a slightly different way. It is more or less to allow him to have an extra defensive midfielder without having to bring on a sub.

The position we are in the league isn't unexpected. The way we have played most of our games has taken me by surprise, though. I honestly didn't think Fowler was the type to prefer a borefest, but he most definitely is. As others have said, when the scoreline is favourable, including if we are drawing against the better teams, more often than not we stop attacking. The feeling I get is that Fowler's ideal season would consist of winning every home game 1-0 and drawing every away game 0-0.

I'm really not sure why it is so different with his own team compared to the one he inherited. Is it really solely as a result of not having Reilly, McShane and Carmichael? If it is the case that he has revealed his true colurs and this is how he wants football to be played, then I don't think giving him more time is the answer because it'll only get worse. However, only he knows how he wants the game to be played. And although he quite often says the right things, the approach on the pitch is somewhat different from his chat.

It could be to do with the fact that Fowler was a defensive midfielder as a player. Edited by RUSTY1111

It could be to do with the fact that Fowler was a defensive midfielder as a player.

That's a connection I'm reluctant to make, because it's a bit obvious and there's enough evidence of managers sending out teams that are not cast in their own image when players.

I must admit though that it's occurred to me when I speculate about his instincts.

That's a connection I'm reluctant to make, because it's a bit obvious and there's enough evidence of managers sending out teams that are not cast in their own image when players.I must admit though that it's occurred to me when I speculate about his instincts.

Right enough, MT...

I would also look to ship a few of these guys on at the end of the season.

I will pay for Conroys taxi .Why not, he's a passenger .I would expect a huge clear out . Can only see them keeping 5/6 players max .

Why have none of the younger guys not been loaned out apart from Hooper ? .Playing in that under 20s is doing them no good at all .

I will pay for Conroys taxi .Why not, he's a passenger .I would expect a huge clear out . Can only see them keeping 5/6 players max .

Why have none of the younger guys not been loaned out apart from Hooper ? .Playing in that under 20s is doing them no good at all .

I'm not sure that a clear out on a massive scale is required.

There will be inevitable moving on of a good few though. It's complicated this year by the fact that two players who would probably be first picks are perennially injured. In Tapping's case that's probably no surprise sadly, but in Hilson's case it is.

I'm assuming that most players are on one year deals, but I'm not sure and can't be arsed checking. Sorry SD.

I would not be advocating changing our Manager unless there is a drastic deterioration in our League position. In his defence he invariably picks plenty of so called attack minded players every week - yesterday we had Harris, Russell, Conroy and Pickard. Some weeks we have had the likes of Lyle, Russell, Conroy, Oliver and Harris in the same line up so on paper it has the hallmarks of an attacking outlook.

The problem is that these so called creators create very little in open play. They lack an edge and hunger in their play and when the ball eventually gets ino the final third there is little or no pace, little ability to beat players and our shooting is pretty woeful. Very few players get ahead of the ball and the midfield players have been singularly unimpressive all season. I actually think in a better team our first choice back 4 is very solid and that is the one area of the team that I would single out as performing consistently well. Even yesterday in the first half Dowie and Higgy had Baird and co in their hip pocket and if the rest of the team had matched their commitment and played as well we would have had a great chance of winning that game.

I have come to the conclusion that very few of the midfield /forward players are good enough to play in a Championship team that has aspirations to challenge for top 3/4 and a possible promotion charge. Most of them are ok if the target is to avoid relegation but next season the League will have more quality in its lower reaches and I am not sure that this squad could necessarily be guaranteed to keep us safe if Dunfermline come up . As for entertainment value the crowd apathy says it all.

I believe that our Board are ambitious and I think they will be unhappy at the product on offer notwithstanding the personnel changes that the Management teamhave had to endure. I have not seenthe Dev team but my impression is that we dont have too many budding stars but this may be harsh. My view is that is that if a player at 18+ is not knocking the first team door down then the probability is that they are unlikely to be good enough.

I would not be advocating changing our Manager unless there is a drastic deterioration in our League position. In his defence he invariably picks plenty of so called attack minded players every week - yesterday we had Harris, Russell, Conroy and Pickard. Some weeks we have had the likes of Lyle, Russell, Conroy, Oliver and Harris in the same line up so on paper it has the hallmarks of an attacking outlook.

The problem is that these so called creators create very little in open play. They lack an edge and hunger in their play and when the ball eventually gets ino the final third there is little or no pace, little ability to beat players and our shooting is pretty woeful. Very few players get ahead of the ball and the midfield players have been singularly unimpressive all season. I actually think in a better team our first choice back 4 is very solid and that is the one area of the team that I would single out as performing consistently well. Even yesterday in the first half Dowie and Higgy had Baird and co in their hip pocket and if the rest of the team had matched their commitment and played as well we would have had a great chance of winning that game.

I have come to the conclusion that very few of the midfield /forward players are good enough to play in a Championship team that has aspirations to challenge for top 3/4 and a possible promotion charge. Most of them are ok if the target is to avoid relegation but next season the League will have more quality in its lower reaches and I am not sure that this squad could necessarily be guaranteed to keep us safe if Dunfermline come up . As for entertainment value the crowd apathy says it all.

I believe that our Board are ambitious and I think they will be unhappy at the product on offer notwithstanding the personnel changes that the Management teamhave had to endure. I have not seenthe Dev team but my impression is that we dont have too many budding stars but this may be harsh. My view is that is that if a player at 18+ is not knocking the first team door down then the probability is that they are unlikely to be good enough.

The dev team have no one who is even near the door, never mind knocking on it .

That is extremely concerning as the Dumfries catchment area should be yielding 1/2 prospects every season.

I had hoped that Gavin Skelton might open up some North England opportunities but perhaps he was behind the Jordan Marshall move and if he was then that was a great piece of business.

That is extremely concerning as the Dumfries catchment area should be yielding 1/2 prospects every season.

I had hoped that Gavin Skelton might open up some North England opportunities but perhaps he was behind the Jordan Marshall move and if he was then that was a great piece of business.

As far as I was led to believe it was Danny Grainger, ex-Gretna and current Carlisle United captain it was that recommended Marshall to Queens....

Been a good start for Hooper with 2 clean sheets. Time for us to give Tapping and Oliver a starting chance. Others have had their turn and been consistently mediocre.

I would be giving Tapping a start next week alongside Murton in midfield and Hilson up front. Nothing to lose now really.

When will you listen to me.Queens this season are sadly not good enough to get 4th.That is why I made the bet I am 100% sure we will not get 4th. Fowler has Queens playing boring football playing not to lose rather than to win. I just wonder if he deserves another season

Odd, you were a bit quiet about that when we actually got into 4th for a short while. It was always likely we'd drop back out of it this week with a run of games against Rangers, Falkirk and Hibs, although Morton winning at Hibs in particular was a disappointing result for us and Raith's late winner against Morton probably even worse for us if not entirely surprising. I'm not especailly panicked about it though and, unlike you, I'm not going to make any comment about a game I wasn't at. I missed my first Queens game in over 4 years at the weekend so am in no position to discuss the game itself.

Overall, we quite clearly ARE good enough to get 4th as there's nothing in particular to indicate either Morton or Raith are particularly any better than us. Which isn't to say we will get 4th. I hope we will, and think we will but it's going to be close and it will probably largely come down to our two head to head meetings with Raith and the one at Morton. I never actually said we would be 4th though, I took issue with your ridiculous dismissal of the chances back in December and I've already been proven right about how stupid a thing to say that was whether we go on to get 4th or not. Your "bet" was a no brainer but just to be clear, I will honour it and pay you £1 if we don't get 4th. I'll even make it £10 and give it to a charity of your choice if you prefer. I presume you are making no arrangements at all to pay me £1m in the event we do get 4th? No real need to when you are 100% sure it won't happen. I am curious right enough as to how you are going to fund it if you do lose the bet though. I think we'd all find that interesting. ;)

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The dev team have no one who is even near the door, never mind knocking on it .

Wouldn't disagree with that, Fowler has though given a few of them a first team shirt, Dickensen, Pickard, Moxen, Brotherston and Smith, do these stand out when they play for the 20's? I'm guessing they must do to warrant the first team shirt.

Also agree with your earlier post saying that playing for the 20's is of no value to the likes of Smith, Hooper etc, they need to go out on loan and get regular first team football.

Having seen all the teams in this division several times this season I think Queens are definitely the best team technically for the fourth spot. You are not as good as last season but have a good midfield that can pass the ball well. You are weaker in the attacking area and feeding the attackers. I don't think your keeper was at fault for any of the goals.

Having seen all the teams in this division several times this season I think Queens are definitely the best team technically for the fourth spot. You are not as good as last season but have a good midfield that can pass the ball well. You are weaker in the attacking area and feeding the attackers. I don't think your keeper was at fault for any of the goals.

Our midfield is our weakest area.

Our midfield is pretty brutal no idea where you get that from. Lots of pointless sideways passing rather than feeding the strikers.

Our midfield is pretty brutal no idea where you get that from. Lots of pointless sideways passing rather than feeding the strikers.

Indeed, nobody is particularly mobile which slows everything down going forward and means we get caught on the counter an awful lot. Lewis Kidd at right back is probably our most consistent threat out wide.

Wouldn't disagree with that, Fowler has though given a few of them a first team shirt, Dickensen, Pickard, Moxen, Brotherston and Smith, do these stand out when they play for the 20's? I'm guessing they must do to warrant the first team shirt.

Also agree with your earlier post saying that playing for the 20's is of no value to the likes of Smith, Hooper etc, they need to go out on loan and get regular first team football.

The problem isn't standing out for the Under 20's .Its totally shite.The Ayrshire League District League is better.

The problem isn't standing out for the Under 20's .Its totally shite.The Ayrshire League District League is better.

Ayrshire District Junior League probably is better. Queens should be able to drip feed youth players to clubs in this environment of else to South of Scotland League clubs...