The Queen of the South thread

I think the views of most of the Queens fans can be summed up as:

Genuinely think the board are doing a great job and there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table, or

Think they are doing an ok job, but in comparison to 20 years ago it is fantastic and there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table, or

Think the board are tantamount to royalty, who were born to rule, should not be questioned in any circumstances (fans are only good for stumping up cash every week and pulling up weeds in the summer) so there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table or, 

Don't really care, but are fairly sure that a fans' representative would bring nothing to the table, or

Think questions should be asked, some fans might have some good ideas and a fans' representative might be a good thing, but they are too scared to say so.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

I don't see any benefit in having a "fans" seat on the board.

Fair enough, I'd disagree with that though.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

I think the views of most of the Queens fans can be summed up as:

Genuinely think the board are doing a great job and there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table, or

Think they are doing an ok job, but in comparison to 20 years ago it is fantastic and there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table, or

Think the board are tantamount to royalty, who were born to rule, should not be questioned in any circumstances (fans are only good for stumping up cash every week and pulling up weeds in the summer) so there is nothing a fans' representative could bring to the table or, 

Don't really care, but are fairly sure that a fans' representative would bring nothing to the table, or

Think questions should be asked, some fans might have some good ideas and a fans' representative might be a good thing, but they are too scared to say so.

Sounds like the fans have some pretty varied views. Do you know how many members the Queens Trust has?

33 minutes ago, JessieField said:

I'd like a fans rep that brings £1 million into the Club.

Is this just a wish or are you saying that directors put £1 million into your club?

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sounds like the fans have some pretty varied views. Do you know how many members the Queens Trust has?

According to JTulip (who is involved with the trust) it is 218.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry if this has been discussed but I'm just reading that your board are set to reject the proposal for a fans rep to be on the board as a director or even as a non-voting seat. What's the reasoning behind this? Seems an incredibly backwards thing to be doing but I don't have the facts. Are the Queens Trust well represented numbers wise? I'd have thought it would be a no brainer to have the fans voice on the board, even at Dumbarton where our chairman has a burning desire to make things as difficult as possible for fans he has succumbed to letting us a have a seat on the board and it's been for the better.

On the face of it, if I was a Queens fan I would look at it as a kick in the teeth, is anyone bothered?

It seems a bit strange though the article I read didn't really give any reasons why they weren't happy with the proposal so there could be something else at play. Even if it was just a token gesture it would probably look a lot better than just outright rejecting the notion. I don't necessarily want a fan who has their own personal  power hungry agenda making the decisions but a non voting person who doesn't have past links with the existing board would at least provide some accountability and openness which I think is definitely needed especially after the past year. As an outsider looking in, it appears like they have something to hide. 

The frustration at the way the issues around the first team and the clubs structure are being handled is showing a bit more but not in anything meaningful other than grumbling on a message board really. The board being difficult with the supporters trust might change that, though at this stage a fans group would need a lot of money to buy out a profit making business with a fair few assets. 

The whole Skelton appointment then subsequent departure was fishy. Players getting signed in the background while the BOD pondered over who to appoint then Skelton turns out to be the best of the applicants then when it turned pear shaped he left for personal reasons. Not forgetting JT as the number 2 then caretaker and we lost out on a big payout because the BOD were in no rush to get a new guy in.

Of course they're doing a good job though.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Owen Moxon on loan to Gretna for rest of season.

Another of the squad away the numbers are going down, would think Hooper + Brotherson will be next, hopefully the manager will bring in another couple that will improve the team/squad in the next 30 hours.

Another of the squad away the numbers are going down, would think Hooper + Brotherson will be next, hopefully the manager will bring in another couple that will improve the team/squad in the next 30 hours.

I was speaking to Brotherston and Hooper on Saturday and they were unaware of them moving on anywhere.

4 minutes ago, RUSTY1111 said:

I was speaking to Brotherston and Hooper on Saturday and they were unaware of them moving on anywhere.

Fair enough just thot the might have gone out on loan the rest of the season as they both seem out of the managers plans.

That's what they were saying to me, that they weren't in his plans. Hooper was still looking for a club. I mentioned Queen's Park to Hooper, as he was there last season on loan but due to them being amateur status that wouldn't interest him.

10 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

There was also a burst forward where he played a fantastic through ball that took out the whole Hibs defence, that Mercer just didn't get on the end of.

But hey, let's only focus on the negatives.

I was actually thinking of that one.  It wasn't a good pass.  It was needlessly ambitious and overhit.

Having a non-voting seat on the board might be a bit tokenistic, but it would still be a positive move in my opinion.

I get very frustrated by the fan view that says the club is being so well run that there's no place for a supporter role.

It's an alarmingly widespread one though, despite the fact that plenty of contentious stuff has been done.  Perhaps there is an element of forelock tugging at play.

On 30/01/2017 at 19:29, queenslad said:

Another player away - will we have enough players to field a team vs Dundee Utd in 12 days time?

Yes at the moment 

Robinson 

Brownlie Dowie Higgins Marshall 

Thomas Jacobs Hammil Carmichael 

Dobbie Lyle 

Subs Dykes Hooper Bell Murray Ferguson Atkinson 

Just listing 17 players that came to mind not necessarily the team.

U/A cup tied Rankin Mercer Thomson & injured Tapping Hilson.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Having a non-voting seat on the board might be a bit tokenistic, but it would still be a positive move in my opinion.

I get very frustrated by the fan view that says the club is being so well run that there's no place for a supporter role.

It's an alarmingly widespread one though, despite the fact that plenty of contentious stuff has been done.  Perhaps there is an element of forelock tugging at play.

I'm struggling to think of a list with plenty of contentious stuff that the Board has been responsible for. Yes, there have been a couple of issues I would list that, on the face of it, were not handled particularly well. The dealings with the so called Young Team, faults on both sides imo, signing players without a Manager in place. Skelton's hiring and eventual departure and the Interim Managers role in this. I doubt if a non-voting supporter's rep on the Board would have had much if any effect on these issues however. To be clear, I don't consider myself a "forelock tugger" just an ordinary supporter who, from the outside, considers that the current Board has achieved more "pros" than "cons" over the past few years. I won't be too upset either way if a fans rep is eventually put on the Board or not, but for some to be suggesting that it's essential as the club is being so poorly run is a poor basis for mounting the campaign. I eagerly await a list from disgruntled supporters why they think the Board are not doing a reasonable job and what difference a fans rep would or could have changed things.