The Queen of the South thread

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If Marshall had stayed that might have worked quite well. Pretty sure Dunfermline fans complained quite regularly about AJs insistence on playing 4-4-2 though.

With Semple being left footed and Holt best at left back I'd hope we line up with a back four

I don't think we can complain too much about him. Won league one easily, then fifth in the Championship, then playoffs and unlike Falkirk we didn't get relegated and he didn't leave us saddled to loads of duff players still under contract. The rigidity of lineups was a blessing and a curse. He would sometimes change things when it had been obvious for weeks that a change would help. Other times the familiar lineups and formation were a blessing - the first season back up where we pipped you guys for 5th place being a prime example. Other teams were chopping and changing late in the season but his work with the fitness coach preseason meant very few niggly injuries so a settled team coming up against makeshift teams each week. 

Also, I think individual players dug him out of a hole. El Bak in League One took us from 10 points behind Ayr to finishing 20 in front. Big Wedderburn coming in half way through our first season back up steadied things and we started grinding out results. The next season it was Fraser Aird coming in and winning a few games that took us into playoffs. He can set up an unspectacular but normally solid enough team. Everyone in the right position with simple roles. Sounds like it was dressing room egos that wrecked our season last year - yes, it's the manager's job to sort out and he recruited them but a change was probably good for everyone. 

22 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If Marshall had stayed that might have worked quite well. Pretty sure Dunfermline fans complained quite regularly about AJs insistence on playing 4-4-2 though.

With Semple being left footed and Holt best at left back I'd hope we line up with a back four

AJ actually started with a 352 last season, it's what effectively got him sacked. He didn't have the players for that, and he didn't have the players for a 442 but it's all he knew, he went back to it and it was absolutely turgid. 

He needs to develop that side of his management drastically, he was lining us up with the same tactics against Dundee United that had worked against Cowdenbeath. 

Agree with the above and AJ is pretty stubborn and waits it out rather than changing things as the game progresses and sets up with the same tactics no matter who you are playing and what formation they play

But he did start us off last season playing 3-5-2 but it never worked and we just looked unorganised (no idea if it was tactics or players), you never know he might try again and get it working with you

I've just read the new rules for the football next season and it's going to be hilarious when the "experts" attending in the supporters sections try and understand what's going on now with the ref and his assistants decisions! Chaos is about to break out!

The new penalty rule is an absolute farce. We'll need to hold off celebrating until the ref and lino have decided it's ok. Utter joke that it's in place. The attacker had the advantage even before this abomination.

On the subject of Semple someone claiming on QOS Mad that he is tipping the scales at 16.5 stone - if true that possibly explains why RC have agreed to terminate the contract?
I don't know his weight but he looked on the heavy side when he was with us last time and it never effected him. Muscle weighs more than fat as well.

I don't know his weight but he looked on the heavy side when he was with us last time and it never effected him. Muscle weighs more than fat as well.

Exactly what I said when i heard this. Don’t think he was 16.5 but he certainly was heavy. Think he struggled a bit after the gambling debacle. Sure he’ll no be long getting up to scratch.

One of the biggest criticisms levelled against Gary Naysmith was that he overthought his tactics and tried to nullify the opposition rather than play to our strengths.  I look forward to the same people criticising AJ for playing the same tactics every week regardless of opponent.