The Queen of the South thread

33 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Not sure  if Reilly will get us goals in fact who will .

I'm not sure that Reilly will get us goals either!  That said, if we have a winger/midfielders who can pop plenty of troublesome low crosses into the danger area, then Reilly at least has a chance to get on the end of them.

As @qos1990 has indicated, it's pretty well last chance saloon for Reilly now to try to get back to a semi-decent level, so a big opportunity for him.  It's also clear that we still need an additional striking option.

Reilly's goals last season (adapted from reports, videos and my own personal recollection of the 2 goals I actually saw in person):

13 Aug    Airdrie (H)  close range shot at far post from low cross 

1 Oct     Alloa (H)  low shot from tight angle on the left of the box after chasing long ball forward from defence

8 Oct     Airdrie (A)  from close range when cross deflected onto his head and went in via crossbar

12 Nov    Alloa (A)  flicked near post header from edge of six yard box

19 Nov    Montrose (H)  stooped header from around a yard out

What's interesting to me is that the goal on 1 October was the only one where he used what is left of his pace and ran with the ball, and that was also the only one he scored from outside the six yard box.  So of his 5 goals, 3 were headers (one of which he didn't know too much about) and four were very much down to him being in the right place at the right time.  So maybe the low cross tactic isn't going to reap too many rewards if Reilly is our go-to number 9!

Edited by Slipmat

7 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Reilly's goals last season (adapted from reports, videos and my own personal recollection of the 2 goals I actually saw in person):

1 Oct     Alloa (H)  low shot from tight angle on the left of the box after chasing long ball forward from defence

8 Oct     Airdrie (A)  from close range when cross deflected onto his head and went in via crossbar

What's interesting to me is that the goal on 1 October was the only one where he used what is left of his pace and ran with the ball, and that was also the only one he scored from outside the six yard box.  So of his 5 goals, 3 were headers (one of which he didn't know too much about) and four were very much down to him being in the right place at the right time.  So maybe the low cross tactic isn't going to reap too many rewards if Reilly is our go-to number 9!

against Livingston I thought he looked sharper than at any point last season. He did come nursing an injury so may have played a part. We can say what we want on here but at this moment in time the gaffer is extremely pleased with GR and he is our best option at this time by a mile

57 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I dont recall the Montrose one at all. I thought the Airdrie header was a great reaction finish. Is that the one you're saying he knew nothing about? 

The Alloa one the keeper got himself into no man's land and showed him half the goal. 

I'd say a striker scoring close range goals by being right place, right time is exactly what you want on the end of a low cut back to be honest. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd say a striker scoring close range goals by being right place, right time is exactly what you want on the end of a low cut back to be honest. 

^^^ This.

Marvin will be telling Reilly where he wants him to be, and it will be up to the wingers/midfielders to provide the dangerous balls into the box that he needs. No issues with a striker scoring close range goals. Hope it transpires.

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I dont recall the Montrose one at all. I thought the Airdrie header was a great reaction finish. Is that the one you're saying he knew nothing about? 

The Alloa one the keeper got himself into no man's land and showed him half the goal. 

I wasn't at the Montrose game so am only going by various reports for that one, and although I was at the Airdrie home game I don't think I saw the goal!  

The Alloa away goal I thought he took really well off a deep Gibson cross as he had to direct his header without having the goal in vision with the ball coming over his head, but the one at Palmerston against Alloa he really shouldn't have been scoring from that angle - he did well to lose his man but it's a shot you'd expect to be dealt with. 

The goal at Airdrie probably was, to be fair, a good reaction, although he was so close to the goal line I felt any contact with the ball would have lead to a goal.   If I recall, had the cross not been deflected it's much more likely that he would have had a lot more to do to get on the end of it at all.

I think for a low cut back to work it either has to be placed with pinpoint accuracy to the player's feet or played into an area where a pacy striker can get on the end of it, and given Reilly has lost a lot of the pace he had in his first spell we would be relying on the former rather than the latter.  

I didn't mean to have a pop at Reilly in my earlier post, I was just trying to illustrate that he had more success in the air last season, and there is hope if he is looking as sharp as @qos1990 suggests.  Hopefully his early treatment by Marvin dropping a division for the loan spell at Stenny came as a bit of a shock to the system to him and he has upped his game and alleged attitude.

Edited by Slipmat
more likely, not less likely

9 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I wasn't at the Montrose game so am only going by various reports for that one, and although I was at the Airdrie home game I don't think I saw the goal!  

The Alloa away goal I thought he took really well off a deep Gibson cross as he had to direct his header without having the goal in vision with the ball coming over his head, but the one at Palmerston against Alloa he really shouldn't have been scoring from that angle - he did well to lose his man but it's a shot you'd expect to be dealt with. 

The goal at Airdrie probably was, to be fair, a good reaction, although he was so close to the goal line I felt any contact with the ball would have lead to a goal.   If I recall, had the cross not been deflected it's much more likely that he would have had a lot more to do to get on the end of it at all.

The Alloa one at Palmerston, as much as Gav did exactly what you'd expect a striker to do and desrves credit, was 100% a gk error. Hogarth started to come, stopped, then went again when by then he was never getting there, and left Gavin half the width of the goal to put it in, angle or no angle.

I dont think that Airdrie away one was anywhere near as close to the line as you're suggesting either. I recall it being edge of 6 yard box? 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

8 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

When, where and time? 

He mentioned it in his Gretna interview. The game is on Saturday but nothing yet as to whether it's closed door or what time. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

He mentioned it in his Gretna interview. The game is on Saturday but nothing yet as to whether it's closed door or what time. 

Thanks for that, didn't hear/read MB's Gretna interview, will keep my eyes and ears open for more news. I've not bothered with any of the friendlies/bounce games yet but will probably take this one in (if open to spectators) as its something a bit different. Maybe be a bit more settled line-up than  games have been so far. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Thanks for that, didn't hear/read MB's Gretna interview, will keep my eyes and ears open for more news. I've not bothered with any of the friendlies/bounce games yet but will probably take this one in (if open to spectators) as its something a bit different. Maybe be a bit more settled line-up than  games have been so far. 

I'm expecting it to be much like Gretna tbh. Maybe a good few first teamers to feature but then end with majority of youngsters. Given our luck with injuries I don't think MB will want to take too much chances with the real stuff starting on Tuesday. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm expecting it to be much like Gretna tbh. Maybe a good few first teamers to feature but then end with majority of youngsters. Given our luck with injuries I don't think MB will want to take too much chances with the real stuff starting on Tuesday. 

Very much this.  With the real action starting on the Tuesday night I think it is unlikely to be a strong team finishing the game, although we may see a few first team players featuring first half.  We can't afford to take too many chances with injuries.

I haven't had the chance to see this squad in action over the preseason, and will be unable to make Tuesday night due to work commitments.  Elgin away will be the first opportunity for me.   Looking forward to getting back in to it.

As I haven't seen any action so far I can't really comment on the make up of the squad.  Based on how it has gone so far, what do you think of the balance of our squad?  Interested to hear peoples views.

1 hour ago, Katboy said:

As I haven't seen any action so far I can't really comment on the make up of the squad.  Based on how it has gone so far, what do you think of the balance of our squad?  Interested to hear peoples views.

For me we need another CB (definitely now if Brydon is out) a LB and another striker. No idea how long Church is out for and for as well as Finlay has done so far I'm not sure he's ready to be a regular just now. No idea how he did against Livi but EK and Gretna will be as easy as it gets this season. Reilly scored from a low cross against EK and back to the earlier discussion, he could thrive this season if we fire low balls in. I'd still like another striker though. Yet to see him to it's very harsh but I doubt Doherty is going to bang them in. I think it's really going to be a team effort goals wise this season. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The Marlow game won't be happening anyway. No game this weekend.

Bit disappointing but given our injuries it's not a disaster. 

For me we need another CB (definitely now if Brydon is out) a LB and another striker. No idea how long Church is out for and for as well as Finlay has done so far I'm not sure he's ready to be a regular just now. No idea how he did against Livi but EK and Gretna will be as easy as it gets this season. Reilly scored from a low cross against EK and back to the earlier discussion, he could thrive this season if we fire low balls in. I'd still like another striker though. Yet to see him to it's very harsh but I doubt Doherty is going to bang them in. I think it's really going to be a team effort goals wise this season. 

Thanks for the reply.  Pretty much along similar lines to what I was thinking.  I'd like to see a bit more of a physical presence as for me we were bullied too easily and often last season.  Not having seen any action  I might well be wrong but I don't see any of the signings so far providing this.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Scheduled for another date do you know?

Wouldn't think so. That's us in competitive action from Tuesday. No gaps for friendlies.

Finlay didn't play against Livi. Did you mean Dundee United? I wasn't there but @Distant Doonhamer said he did well I think. I've no idea how long Church is out for either. Cammy Logan can cover left back if need be and played half the Livi game there.

I think injuries are the main reason we've not tried to arrange a replacement friendly for Saturday.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wouldn't think so. That's us in competitive action from Tuesday. No gaps for friendlies.

Finlay didn't play against Livi. Did you mean Dundee United? I wasn't there but @Distant Doonhamer said he did well I think. I've no idea how long Church is out for either. Cammy Logan can cover left back if need be and played half the Livi game there.

I think injuries are the main reason we've not tried to arrange a replacement friendly for Saturday.

Aye Finlay did well on Saturday I thought. I'd suggest not a first team starter yet but shows real promise. Only turned 17 in May according to the official site.

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye Finlay did well on Saturday I thought. I'd suggest not a first team starter yet but shows real promise. Only turned 17 in May according to the official site.

Yeah, he's still at school. Not a full time footballer yet. He's training with the first team at the moment though with the schools on holiday.