The Queen of the South thread

Interesting interview from Murphy. Two staff sent off after the game as well. He didn't seem pleased with the red either and from speaking it sounds like he wanted to appeal it though I guess they'll reflect on it before jumping in (not intended). I was angry because the Montrose boy didn't walk for a worse challenge but it doesn't mean Cochrane's was fine. I'll be surprised if they go through with it. 

O'Donnell at least hopped on for a bit so hopefully he's fit for ICT if Cochrane is indeed out. Devastated by Brydon but we all knew it would happen so hopefully Hannah comes in and does a good job. Delighted to hear Lyon is close to being back and Chima Church could feature soon as well. 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Tommy Goss no less! 

That game wasn't live on telly, was it?

I thought he was referring to a Friday night game in October when Russell scored the winner. Again though it was about a decade ago and falls outside of the designated time scale. 

19 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I thought he was referring to a Friday night game in October when Russell scored the winner. Again though it was about a decade ago and falls outside of the designated time scale. 

It was. Seems a lot of our games against Raith were televised. 

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

6 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

The game where Cowie made his debut? Think that was a Tuesday game and not a televised one. During the streaming era I think?

Ah, that's maybe what I'm getting mixed up with. I can certainly remember watching it live but the date would suggest it was indeed via a stream. 

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

Have Queens won a league game shown live on tv since the BBC started regularly showing Championship games (from 2019) and League 1 games (from last season) (not including the one play-off game Queens won at Raith)?
From memory, I think they’ve been on 10 times and haven’t won any - 3 draws 7 defeats. I could be wrong, though.

Ah, one for my stats............

Queen of the South appeared on a live tv game for the first time ever in the famous Scottish Cup semi final win over Aberdeen, 4-3 (which was on Sky) in April 2008. Since then we've now been broadcast live on tv truly live 48 times (in 16 years) plus one delayed 'as live' broadcast v Rangers in 2013 when permission was not granted for it to be actually live due to UEFA regs but it went out in full at 10pm.

The 48 games have seen:
12 wins
5 League match draws
2 Playoff match draws (one led to an aggregate win v Raith, one an aggregate loss v Rangers)
3 Cup match draws (won two on penalties, lost one)
26 Losses

Of course as a lot of the games were cup games we were underdogs in, the win / loss ratio is not all that surprising.

Limiting it only to matches on BBC Scotland or Alba from 2019 onwards (we played plenty league games on Alba before 2019), our recent record is undeniably poor. We have NOT won a league game on BBC since they began broadcasting them in 2019. We've appeared in the following:
26/04/2019 at Ross County, lost 4-0
27/09/2019 v Dundee, drew 1-1
04/12/2020 v Inverness CT, lost 3-0 (this is the game where Kai Kennedy absolutely destroyed us)
12/02/2021 v Hearts, drew 1-1 (Hearts equalised with a last minute penalty)
19/11/2021 v Inverness CT, lost 2-1
08/04/2022 v Partick Thistle, lost 1-0
24/02/2024 v Montrose, lost 3-2
16/03/2024 v Falkirk, lost 4-1
24/08/2024 at Montrose, lost 1-0

That's only 9 games though rather than the 10 you have. Have I missed a draw somewhere?

To be fair, with the exception of the two recent Montrose ones and possibly the two Inverness ones, we were clear underdogs for the other matches probably, and still grabbed a couple of draws (should have beaten Hearts).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yep, the Iain Russell game was 10th October 2014. We won 4-3 having led 1-0 at half time but trailed 3-2 with a man short late in the game after Holt was sent off.

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

We've been televised against Raith Rovers 7 times in total, that Iain Russell one being the first of them. We were also shown against them at Palmerston later the same season and won 2-0, and also the following season at Palmerston again, a 1-1 draw this time. In October 2016 we lost 1-0 up there in a league game, then the two playoff games in April 2019 and finally the SPFL Trust Trophy Final in April 2022.

The Charlie Cowie game was not televised but was streamed during Covid.

In terms of opposition for our 48 games:
11 Rangers (+ the 1 delayed live)
7 Raith Rovers
3 Aberdeen, Falkirk, Ross County
2 Dundee, Inverness CT, Montrose, Morton, Partick Thistle
1 Cove Rangers,  Dundee United, Hamilton Academical, Hearts, Hibernian , Queen's Park, St Johnstone, St Mirren, FC Nordsjaelland, Linfield, TNS

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Interesting interview from Murphy. Two staff sent off after the game as well. He didn't seem pleased with the red either and from speaking it sounds like he wanted to appeal it though I guess they'll reflect on it before jumping in (not intended). I was angry because the Montrose boy didn't walk for a worse challenge but it doesn't mean Cochrane's was fine. I'll be surprised if they go through with it. 

O'Donnell at least hopped on for a bit so hopefully he's fit for ICT if Cochrane is indeed out. Devastated by Brydon but we all knew it would happen so hopefully Hannah comes in and does a good job. Delighted to hear Lyon is close to being back and Chima Church could feature soon as well. 

I really like Murphy's post match interviews. Like night and day compared to the nonsense spouted by Bartley.

I'll be amazed if we appeal the red card and frankly astonished if it was overturned.

Chima Church is a class description BTW 🤣

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

39 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Limiting it only to matches on BBC Scotland or Alba from 2019 onwards (we played plenty league games on Alba before 2019), our recent record is undeniably poor. We have NOT won a league game on BBC since they began broadcasting them in 2019. We've appeared in the following:
26/04/2019 at Ross County, lost 4-0
27/09/2019 v Dundee, drew 1-1
04/12/2020 v Inverness CT, lost 3-0 (this is the game where Kai Kennedy absolutely destroyed us)
12/02/2021 v Hearts, drew 1-1 (Hearts equalised with a last minute penalty)
19/11/2021 v Inverness CT, lost 2-1
08/04/2022 v Partick Thistle, lost 1-0
24/02/2024 v Montrose, lost 3-2
16/03/2024 v Falkirk, lost 4-1
24/08/2024 at Montrose, lost 1-0

That's only 9 games though rather than the 10 you have. Have I missed a draw somewhere?

To be fair, with the exception of the two recent Montrose ones and possibly the two Inverness ones, we were clear underdogs for the other matches probably, and still grabbed a couple of draws (should have beaten Hearts).

I think the 3-3 at Raith in February 2022 was on when they’d just signed Goodwillie and he was in the stand.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I really like Murphy's post match interviews. Like night and day compared to the nonsense spouted by Bartley.

I'll be amazed if we appeal the card and frankly astonished if it was overturned.

I rewatched on tv and he stood on his foot. Referee probably saw it as a stamp. I think he was a bit late and it was a yellow. I wouldn’t appeal. The O’Donnell foul for me was a borderline yellow for excessive force but don’t think he deliberately went over the top. 

Murphy comes across as a level headed decent guy. Not sure about his comment about Kennedy being excellent at finding pockets of space yesterday….i must have missed that. 

Wind at the game was stronger than looked on tv however major issue was us being bullied and outplayed. Blair Lyons on the left found space that our forwards didn’t manage. Only 1 setback so let’s shake it off and win next week. 

11 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I think the 3-3 at Raith in February 2022 was on when they’d just signed Goodwillie and he was in the stand.

It was streamed live on Raith tv as we were still in the Covid era, but it wasn't on live tv.

16 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

How many L1 games are shown on BBC Alba every season, do they have to show every side and how far in advance is it decided?

12 games.

There's no requirement to show any side. I think when they first came in there was an agreement no side would get more than 2 home games moved for it. I'm not sure if there's any actual rule saying so. In theory the same side could be the away team in all 12 games though.

Normally about a month's notice.

33 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I rewatched on tv and he stood on his foot. Referee probably saw it as a stamp. I think he was a bit late and it was a yellow. I wouldn’t appeal. The O’Donnell foul for me was a borderline yellow for excessive force but don’t think he deliberately went over the top

It doesn't need to be deliberate. It was a red all day. 

45 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was streamed live on Raith tv as we were still in the Covid era, but it wasn't on live tv.

Cheers. Wasn’t 100% sure about that one (or some others tbh but they were right enough). 
Out of interest, what was the last league game Queens won live on tv? Edit - normal league game as opposed to play-off).

Edited by Artemis

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It doesn't need to be deliberate. It was a red all day. 

The ref was pretty poor but to me and my Man Utd supporting friends who went to the game with me he had no option but to plant his foot so yellow not red once we watched it back on tv. Unfortunate for ODonnell who I thought was really good for us the short while he was on. 

37 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

The ref was pretty poor but to me and my Man Utd supporting friends who went to the game with me he had no option but to plant his foot so yellow not red once we watched it back on tv. Unfortunate for ODonnell who I thought was really good for us the short while he was on. 

If he didn't have an option but to land on O'Donnell's shin/ankle then he's clearly out of control.