The Queen of the South thread

I agree with doonhameronthedon that the Queens zines were entertaining - although crude - and gave voice to a very disgruntled fan group. The middle age fans will remember this bleak time well. Our support was smaller then and some of the crowds were much worse than even now . I would like to think the stature of Qos and expectation have grown since then .-----------I was at the Ally McLeod night and SD would be present as well. Ally got rapturous applause when going on stage and also when making some anti Willie Harkness statements . The local press covered this night I recall

I've got all the old fanzines in the loft somewhere .

I'm pretty sure I've got two copies of one of them and if I can find it you can have it Adamski ......

Edited by PALMYLAD

I agree with doonhameronthedon that the Queens zines were entertaining - although crude - and gave voice to a very disgruntled fan group. The middle age fans will remember this bleak time well. Our support was smaller then and some of the crowds were much worse than even now . I would like to think the stature of Qos and expectation have grown since then .-----------I was at the Ally McLeod night and SD would be present as well. Ally got rapturous applause when going on stage and also when making some anti Willie Harkness statements . The local press covered this night I recall

Yeah, I was there. I had a hand in organising it in fact and Ally was an absolute gentleman to deal with. His personality is a huge loss to the Scottish game sadly. I met his grandson a couple of years ago at a family function in Troon and we chatted about Ally. To an extent it may just be time making things seem better than they were but I recall Ally's season as the most entertaining in my near three decades of watching Queens. With Jimmy McGuire and Andy Thomson up front we scored goals for fun and chucked them in at the other end almost as quickly.

As someone said earlier I also recall not so fondly the episode at East Stirling where we all showed up as the first half was ending to find it had been a 2pm kick off (though I don't think there were anywhere near 150 Queens fans at away games in those days, less than half that most likely). I'm sure that was the game where Mr Harkness gave a "V" sign to the fans and afterward as said Mrs Alcorn claimed that it wasn't the club's responsibility to tell people of an early kick off and fans should phone the office every week to check the kick off time of weekend fixtures (as one who regularly answers the phone in the office that's a truly laughable proposition!).

What I recall most about that day though is a wee drunk guy at the bar in the pub we were all in pre-match claiming on a couple of occasions that "the Shire game is a 2 o'clock kick off the day" and everyone presuming he was just gibbering when in the end it turned out he knew more than anyone else. I'm pretty sure plenty of East Stirling fans missed the kick off too as there had been no national press notice of the change.

I have the original press cutting saying 150 fans but never mind -------------Your memory isn't playing tricks because 91-92 was very entertaining if nothing else . With players like McGuire , Thomson, JR and don't forget Henry Templeton , how could it be anything else . As you said, the defence was chucking them in to cancel out our goals and the best way of summing this season up is Montrose 4 Qos 7.

I have the original press cutting saying 150 fans but never mind -------------Your memory isn't playing tricks because 91-92 was very entertaining if nothing else . With players like McGuire , Thomson, JR and don't forget Henry Templeton , how could it be anything else . As you said, the defence was chucking them in to cancel out our goals and the best way of summing this season up is Montrose 4 Qos 7.

I don't care what the press said, we weren't taking three figure crowds away from home much back then, especially not to East Stirling. Not exactly a top fixture. :lol:

That Montrose cup tie is another fond memory. I was in Edinburgh on a course the week of that tie and my only way to the game was to get a train from Waverley to Montrose and back but the last train back was at 9:35pm. I couldn't afford to be left stranded in Montrose overnight so had to leave Links Park at half time in extra time to get the train back with us leading 6-4. It was hours later when I heard the final score. This was in the days before internet and mobile phones so I had to wait until I was back in Edinburgh and could ask someone who had heard the news with the football scores on it!

I've got all the old fanzines in the loft somewhere .

I'm pretty sure I've got two copies of one of them and if I can find it you can have it Adamski ......

I remember buying a couple issues back in Ally McLeods time as manager. Sadly these are now long gone. I'd certainly be interested in reading some of these issues again..

We can talk about the signing or re signing of players like Carmichael or Gibson making the headlines but the most important is McKenna . He is the heartbeat of the team and if in the right mind -ie disciplined -our most important player by a mile

Guest TOPFITTER

We can talk about the signing or re signing of players like Carmichael or Gibson making the headlines but the most important is McKenna . He is the heartbeat of the team and if in the right mind -ie disciplined -our most important player by a mile

Certainly an effective central mid-fielder, as long as he can stay out of the Ref's wee book. Cautions reduce his effectiveness and the reds can hinder our efforts no end. Most important player by a mile, is stretching it just a bit far for me.

Certainly an effective central mid-fielder, as long as he can stay out of the Ref's wee book. Cautions reduce his effectiveness and the reds can hinder our efforts no end. Most important player by a mile, is stretching it just a bit far for me.

To be honest, he's the type of player that is always going to pick up needless bookings. He wasn't near as effective last year as before and I think it was partly down to Gus's fines for disclipinary

Rumour? Personally not heard this one.

Same just seen it mentioned on the ayr thread.. did he work under sandy clark at st johnstone or was he at the club after that period?

Would be some attack if Parker and Gibson signed.

Carmichael Gibson

Smith Parker

Not sure on Parker, would be willing to give him a chance though. We shall see, would like to see a creative player in beside McKenna then were looking good. A right back also would be nice. A lot of people calling for a target man, but just striker thats going to but the ball in the back of net will do, I think Smith will this season if he can stay injury free, big season for Reilly as well, shown a lot of potential, wee man has to deliver though this year.

Not sure on Parker, would be willing to give him a chance though. We shall see, would like to see a creative player in beside McKenna then were looking good. A right back also would be nice. A lot of people calling for a target man, but just striker thats going to but the ball in the back of net will do, I think Smith will this season if he can stay injury free, big season for Reilly as well, shown a lot of potential, wee man has to deliver though this year.

I think if he's given a run he'll score a lot of goals in this league, especially with service from both Danny and Willie.