The Queen of the South thread

With Burns signing we have a few options in midfield now. Where does everyone think he'll play? Personally, I would play him in the centre beside McKenna.

Also, should McGuffie come back in for Mitchell when fit? If so, should Mitchell move back into midfield? And, who should start up front?

Whats everyones strongest side, with everyone fit?

I would go

Robinson

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Holt

Carmichael Burns McKenna Gibson

Lyle Clark

Ive put Lyle and Clark up front together as I think they played well in the first few games. However, I dont think the team would be any weaker with Reilly or Smith starting

Good times! :D

Too many good players and it's confusing. My brain is beginning to hurt :o

Seriously there is not one name which would make your heart sink when seeing it on the teamsheet.

All in the squad are capable of contributing mightily to the cause.

Happy days

Seriously there is not one name which would make your heart sink when seeing it on the teamsheet.

Happy days

Thats a really good point.

If the team I picked above started, it would still leave McGuffie and Black as defensive cover/options, Orsi, Young, Johnston and Mitchell in midfield and Smith and Reilly as alternatives up front! :)

Thats a really good point.

If the team I picked above started, it would still leave McGuffie and Black as defensive cover/options, Orsi, Young, Johnston and Mitchell in midfield and Smith and Reilly as alternatives up front! :)

Agree with everything that has been said except I would go for Reilly up top with Lyle. Today was a fine example of the youngster being a better finisher than Clark. There are so many positives in the squad now, exciting times indeed and no wonder the crowds are increasing. Match days are once again something to look forward to. Everyone involved in the club should be very pleased at the way things are now progressing. What a change from the dark days of last season under Mr Mac.

Edited by Hawk

Happy days

That's pretty much how I feel.

Despite us only winning 1-0 last week, it felt like a game of shooty-in. Today definitely did and I would just have put it down to lousy opposition, if Arbroath hadn't started top and we hadn't also outclassed Hibs.

I refuse to get excited about this Queens team so early, but I'll confess to at least being er... interested in them.

Agree with everything that has been said except I would go for Reilly up top with Lyle. Today was a fine example of the youngster being a better finisher than Clark. There are so many positives in the squad now, exciting times indeed and no wonder the crowds are increasing. Match days are once again something to look forward to. Everyone involved in the club should be very pleased at the way things are now progressing. What a change from the dark days of last season under Mr Mac.

It would be incredibly harsh on clark if he didn't get a game, he's got 6 goals in 8 so far!

As I said, I think we could pretty much start with any two of the four strikers and the team wouldnt be any weaker. I think Clark and Lyle did enough in the early games to deserve to keep their partnership going, but of course Reilly has the place at the moment and hes done more than enough to keep it

Reilly, Clark and Carmichael should start IMO, they are running teams ragged. Also Mitchell should start ahead of McGuffie.

Welcome the return of Burns but not sure where he can fit in atm.

Agreed, although it says something given how loved Burns is at Queens, that we're struggling to see an obvious role for him.

Personally, I can't believe how good Carmichael's suddenly become. He clearly had ability before, but lacked effectiveness. Right now, he's fantastic, offering us a constant threat. Again, a drop of a division must have helped, but he also made both goals against Hibs.

Easy right now to get carried away. Our Ibrox trip will either bring us back down to earth, or have the opposite effect. I still suspect the former, but it'll be interesting.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Reilly, Clark and Carmichael should start IMO, they are running teams ragged. Also Mitchell should start ahead of McGuffie.

Welcome the return of Burns but not sure where he can fit in atm.

Straight replacement for Young, for me. Young has done well in that midfield role, but I think Burns will bring more energy and creativity to it, as well as being more of a goal threat. Harsh on Young, maybe, but thats football. If McGuffie hadnt got injured we would be having the same conversation about him, had he been dropped to accommodate Micthell at right back, or indeed, the same conversation about Mitchell had he been dropped for Gibson.

Straight replacement for Young, for me. Young has done well in that midfield role, but I think Burns will bring more energy and creativity to it, as well as being more of a goal threat. Harsh on Young, maybe, but thats football. If McGuffie hadnt got injured we would be having the same conversation about him, had he been dropped to accommodate Micthell at right back, or indeed, the same conversation about Mitchell had he been dropped for Gibson.

I'd agree with that. We should also remember that McKenna is still picking up bookings as per usual. The Burns signing also tells us what we already know: the manager is going to play a very limited role on the pitch this season (as is McShane).

I'd agree with that. We should also remember that McKenna is still picking up bookings as per usual. The Burns signing also tells us what we already know: the manager is going to play a very limited role on the pitch this season (as is McShane).

Yes, indeed. I would imagine one of Pauls first jobs (after seeing off Ayr) will be to play the "McKenna" role at Ibrox.