The Queen of the South thread

:lol::lol::lol:

• thats a belter...for anyone harbouring any doubts please look at this & ask yourselves if the unthinkable happenned & you did get to the SPL..would your average be closer to hamilton or gretna.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that our crowds in the SPL would be the same as they are in the second division? :1eye

Are you seriously trying to suggest that our crowds in the SPL would be the same as they are in the second division? :1eye

no... im suggesting that the many on here who are debating if falkirk are a bigger club ask themselves if they would get near our average SPL attendance (in the granted hugely unlikely scenario that queens make it to the SPL)..the obvious answer to which is no...i`ll be generous & suggest you may get within 500 of hamiltons

I don't think anyone is arguing that Falkirk are a bigger club than Queens. More are they bigger enough to entice our manager away, when he will clearly draw the intention of far bigger teams than Falkirk if he continues as he is.

As an aside, interesting to note Hamilton are now considered some sort of benchmark. Congratulations to all involved.

no... im suggesting that the many on here who are debating if falkirk are a bigger club ask themselves if they would get near our average SPL attendance (in the granted hugely unlikely scenario that queens make it to the SPL)..the obvious answer to which is no...i`ll be generous & suggest you may get within 500 of hamiltons

are Falkirk as likely to get back to the SPL?

Edited by Sloop John B

The obvious flaw, although there are many others, in your logic is that Falkirk arent in the SPL and havent been for 3 seasons and counting. Next season Falkirk will be a mid-table first division side. The point Queens fans are making is that, if Johnston were to stay, mid table would be a more than realistic expectation for next season. Therefore, Falkirk, while historically a bigger club, are not that much of a step up at this moment in time.

And your "generous" suggestion that we'd average 2000 in the SPL is quite clearly nonsense.

Sorry to dissapoint you but Falkirk are not a big side. Nothing like it

You may well be correct but sadly that isn't the current debate JRS RIGHT PEG. Falkirk are, however, a bigger side than Queen of the South. I heard Johnston applied for the Falkirk job before Pressley was announced as manager of Coventry City - Johnston is desperate for a chance to take a team into the SPL and more importantly Europa League football next season. Edited by wee_bairn

Sorry to dissapoint you but Falkirk are not a big side. Nothing like it

but since everything is comparitive then compared to your lot we are... twice the size going by...well.. since your not interested in hypothetical scenarios showing us both at our peak support then how about this years average attendances..where you have had one of your best seasons in recent years & we have had our worst for over ten years.... over 15 games you have averaged 1564....over 13 games we have averaged 2922 (stats from football 365.com)...but hey dont let the facts get in the way...if you want to believe we are not big compared to you the fine

Crowd wankery isn't that relevant, you're a first division team with a team of kids and Lyle Taylor. Where can Johnston take that team when the wolves circle round to steal his best players? Going to that job for one or two places higher (3rd or 4th is the ceiling) isn't worth it.

Edited by Sloop John B

but since everything is comparitive then compared to your lot we are... twice the size going by...well.. since your not interested in hypothetical scenarios showing us both at our peak support then how about this years average attendances..where you have had one of your best seasons in recent years & we have had our worst for over ten years.... over 15 games you have averaged 1564....over 13 games we have averaged 2922 (stats from football 365.com)...but hey dont let the facts get in the way...if you want to believe we are not big compared to you the fine

Fancy...using...full...stops?

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Uh-huh. And what are the figures for away fans in those crowds? Highest away attendance this season at Palmerston has been 90odd. Id be amazed if the lowest away crowd at New Brockville was anywhere near that low. We might be having a good season but its in a league below Falkirk and comes on the back of an horrific season under McPherson.

Again, no-one is saying Falkirk arent a bigger club. They clearly are. However, at the current time, they are not a significant step up in managerial terms and I'd certainly be disappointed if Johnston wasnt aiming his sights considerably higher.

Uh-huh. And what are the figures for away fans in those crowds? Highest away attendance this season at Palmerston has been 90odd. Id be amazed if the lowest away crowd at New Brockville was anywhere near that low. We might be having a good season but its in a league below Falkirk and comes on the back of an horrific season under McPherson.

Again, no-one is saying Falkirk arent a bigger club. They clearly are. However, at the current time, they are not a significant step up in managerial terms and I'd certainly be disappointed if Johnston wasnt aiming his sights considerably higher.

As I've said on the Falkirk thread, We've already beaten teams in the SPL1, ONE WHICH IS IN FACT TOP. So why would our manager want to take a step backwards in standards?

At least we all agree Falkirk are not a big side but yes, maybe a little bigger than us . Well then smart arse . Have you taken into account that the average away support to visit Palmerston is about fifty and only about 700 away fans have passed the Palmerston gates this season in total ? Thistle would bring that in one match to you and that beefs up your average.

At least we all agree Falkirk are not a big side but yes, maybe a little bigger than us . Well then smart arse . Have you taken into account that the average away support to visit Palmerston is about fifty and only about 700 away fans have passed the Palmerston gates this season in total ? Thistle would bring that in one match to you and that beefs up your average.

Queens could quite easily match Falkirk's crowds if they were to show ambition by challenging to play in the SPL. Dumfries folks don't take the club seriously because it has been more than 40 years since the town has produced a top division side. Also many fans have been chased away from home games due to the Rangers vote last season, with many of us going to away games only. Another thing, our location plays havoc with our average attendances. So there!

Edited by liviqos

What form would you suggest this 'ambition' take? I'm intrigued.

Let's take a deeper intake of the situation and look at what is happening, Walking over part-time teams in a League full of nobodies just does not inspire floating fans to take a look at tiddly teams such as Albion Rovers, Forfar Athletic, Stranraer or Stenhousemuir. To see these clubs come to the town with such consistent frequency simply does not excite most of the townsfolk to leave the comfort of their homes or bookies to sit/stand and watch such drab stuff on the pitch. Even if Queens do reach the challenging places for a rise to the top League, it might take more than one attempt at promotion to entice the local populace to start showing a tad more endeavour or tolerance to what is now happening at Palmerston. I can't get myself up for a visit from East Fife or Brechin City and I'm almost certain that is one of the main reasons that no one really takes that much interest by posting their presence at home matches. I know that some posters on here will want to crucify me for posting what I see as one of the main factors for low attendances, but this is certainly why I do not attend as much as I should, the price is another reason, but that is starting to stray away from what is really the main problem. Taking Queens seriously is what we should be working on.