The Queen of the South thread

It says on the QOS website that Leishman was a Sports Scientist. What exactly does a Sports Scientist do? Do we really need one?

Indeed. I cant believe anyone would question if we need such a position at the club given the fitness levels of the squad last year.

And, yes, it is a requirement of our Club License to have one

Sorry to take your thread back a couple of pages but is it actually a requirement for the Club License? We didn't have one up until Murray came in but don't know if a physio/club doctor covers that aspect. As for the merits of a sports scientist, Murray has attributed some praise to the guy he brought in for us. He measures just about every aspect of fitness of each player and then changes their diet/training to suit. I actually think it's of bigger use to the part time clubs, it helps bridge the fitness advantage that full time clubs have and if your club can afford one I think it's a no brainer.

Sorry to take your thread back a couple of pages but is it actually a requirement for the Club License? We didn't have one up until Murray came in but don't know if a physio/club doctor covers that aspect. As for the merits of a sports scientist, Murray has attributed some praise to the guy he brought in for us. He measures just about every aspect of fitness of each player and then changes their diet/training to suit. I actually think it's of bigger use to the part time clubs, it helps bridge the fitness advantage that full time clubs have and if your club can afford one I think it's a no brainer.

It's a requirement of the Club Academy licence for youth football, not the main Club Licence, so if you don't have a Club Academy programme you won't need one. Even in Club Academy it's only a requirement to have one involved to whatever extent they deem necessary, you don't necessarily need to employ one. However, I agree with you about the merits of it and I don't think Andy Leishman's involvement and the improvement in our physical fitness is a coincidence.

Here is a small report from Saturdays friendly taken from SFL website. http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/friendly-round-up/

Queen of the South won 2-1 against Queen’s Park at Lesser Hampden in manager Jim McIntyre’s first game in charge. Aaron Splaine scored a late winner from close range after Derek Lyle had opened for the Doonhamers and Tony Quinn had levelled with a penalty in the first half.

Interesting to see that the goal we gave away came from a penalty after the amount of penalties we gave away last season.

When was the last time we got a penalty at Palmerston?

I cant think of any last season but the season before McGuffie scored a penalty against Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup replay on 14 February 2012.

I am not sure if I missed a later penalty at home but Skyline Drifter might know for sure.

I cant think of any last season but the season before McGuffie scored a penalty against Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup replay on 14 February 2012.

I am not sure if I missed a later penalty at home but Skyline Drifter might know for sure.

McGuffie's against Aberdeen, given for a handball by Youl Mawene, is indeed the last time we got a penalty given to us at Palmerston. We didn't get a single one last season, though we conceded five at Palmerston last season.

It's an odd thing but in winning the second division at a canter last season we were awarded only four penalties all season, all away from home, but conceded 13, five at Palmerston and eight away (three of the thirteen were in cup games). However, in finishing bottom of the first division the year before we were awarded six penalties (five in the league) and conceded only two. Five of the six we were awarded came at Palmerston the year before.

I would have thought on average you'd get more penalties than you concede when dominating games and concede more than you get when struggling. Our stats in the last two seasons don't bear that out.

McGuffie's against Aberdeen, given for a handball by Youl Mawene, is indeed the last time we got a penalty given to us at Palmerston. We didn't get a single one last season, though we conceded five at Palmerston last season.

It's an odd thing but in winning the second division at a canter last season we were awarded only four penalties all season, all away from home, but conceded 13, five at Palmerston and eight away (three of the thirteen were in cup games). However, in finishing bottom of the first division the year before we were awarded six penalties (five in the league) and conceded only two. Five of the six we were awarded came at Palmerston the year before.

I would have thought on average you'd get more penalties than you concede when dominating games and concede more than you get when struggling. Our stats in the last two seasons don't bear that out.

The stats don't bear that out but is extremely unusual for this to happen. Struggling teams almost always concede more penalties than successful ones and not the other way around. We have went against the grain with this.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Yes, because teams that play in green just disappear in to the grass...

:lol:

So from the rumours gathered on this thread we have been looking at Rab Douglas, Grant Adam, Joe Cardle and Sean Higgins. Having seen 3 of the 4 play (to my knowledge) I am pleased with who we are looking at to get in.

Upwards and onwards.

Also just incase no-one has seen the new picture of the strips for this season, here it is

I think the home top looks horrendous. Very plain IMO. Still in 2 minds over the away one.

Does anyone know what formation we went with against QP? I imagine he varied, but I can't say I'm feeling very confident if we are going to be a 3-5-2 team again. Maybe we have the players now I suppose, but I would stick with 4-4-2 if that's what worked well for us last term. JM call though and hopefully he gets it spot on.

:lol:

I think the home top looks horrendous. Very plain IMO. Still in 2 minds over the away one.

Does anyone know what formation we went with against QP? I imagine he varied, but I can't say I'm feeling very confident if we are going to be a 3-5-2 team again. Maybe we have the players now I suppose, but I would stick with 4-4-2 if that's what worked well for us last term. JM call though and hopefully he gets it spot on.

I dont have any issue with Higgins or Durnan playing 3-5-2 but does Dowie have the pace for it? I wouldnt play it, though, as Im not sure where Paton or Carmichael fit in to the system. Both have been played more centrally in the past and neither were as effective as when they play wide. If we are also looking at Cardle then it would make even less sense to play a system without wingers.

I like the new home top. Safe to say it looks a lot better when you actually see it. I havent seen it with the logo, though, and it does look as if the text has been centred rather than the whole logo. I would probably have centred the logo, but its hardly a big deal.

McIntyre is pish, he doesn't have a clue. Disappointed with Queens for giving this cretin a route back. I expect his number 1 cheer leader Billy Dodds will be involved in the backroom staff.

Dodds was our striker coach about 5 years ago, and helped Dobbie quite a bit. If he was involved again in a similar capacity, I would not be against it.

Billy Dodds reported as joining the coaching staff..

"Billy will work with the players during the week and attend our games when his media commitments allow. I am delighted to have him on board."

The yellow top looks like a motocross bike has ridden right across the chest.

Yeah that was my impression as well. Or one of those patterns that you stare at for 20mins until you see a swan or Edinburgh Castle appear magically!

Guest Flash

I think the map on the sponsor's logo looks like a stain.

Hope Dodds is a better coach than pundit because on the tv he comes across as a numbskull.