The Queen of the South thread

Two good wins on the trot and well done to Jim Mcintyre and the boys for achieving these results.

However, we still have a massive problem to contend with on the goalkeeping front and this issue will make or break our season in my opinion. Someone posted a few days ago that, in terms of full-time clubs in Scotland, we probably have the 2 poorest full-time keepers on our books and I tend to agree with this.

It is possible that Calum Antell could return to a rejuvinated back four and take confidence from this and push on to some better form, but I doubt it from what I have seen so far of him. Its more likely that, if he returns to the team, the jitters will start spreading again through the back four and results will deteriorate. He would be a decent back up keeper for us for the rest of the season, but we have to get someone else in as our No.1 or I fear our entire season could go down the tubes.

If we cant get young Clark to stay beyond December then JM should make it an absiolute priority to sign a keeper as soon as the transfer window opens.

Both Antell and young Atkinson might turn out to be decent keepers in time, but its too soon for Antell this season and it would be absolute madness to throw young Atkinson in as his replacement this season.

Indeed.

It would be even more interesting to see where would be if the team wasn't still being handicapped.

McShane has done better than I thought but is a squad player. I thought Young done a real good job in holding a semblance of a midfield together with Kevin Dz still getting to grips with things . In this cut throat league , we won't get away with playing this midfield most weeks but did yesterday. You do make your own luck and we did deserve ( and get) a bit with a gritty display. Roll on Tuesdays draw. Auchinleck away will do me. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

McShane has done better than I thought but is a squad player. I thought Young done a real good in holding a semblance of a midfield together with Kevin Dz still getting to grips with things . In this cut throat league , we won't get away with playing this midfield most weeks but did yesterday. You do make your own luck and we did deserve ( and get) a bit with a gritty display. Roll on Tuesdays draw.

Yes!

McKenna should inject a bit of steel.

Kevin D has such a range of passing that I think he will set up a few goals or chances over the season and turn defenders.

I am hoping for more from him.

McKenna is first on the sheet. Burns I welcome back. But where will we play him?

By the way giving Reilly 70 minutes and bringing on a hungry Lyle is a good managerial decision, But I am in no position to make managerial decisions.

Edited by MacWatt

Two good wins on the trot and well done to Jim Mcintyre and the boys for achieving these results.However, we still have a massive problem to contend with on the goalkeeping front and this issue will make or break our season in my opinion. Someone posted a few days ago that, in terms of full-time clubs in Scotland, we probably have the 2 poorest full-time keepers on our books and I tend to agree with this.It is possible that Calum Antell could return to a rejuvinated back four and take confidence from this and push on to some better form, but I doubt it from what I have seen so far of him. Its more likely that, if he returns to the team, the jitters will start spreading again through the back four and results will deteriorate. He would be a decent back up keeper for us for the rest of the season, but we have to get someone else in as our No.1 or I fear our entire season could go down the tubes. If we cant get young Clark to stay beyond December then JM should make it an absiolute priority to sign a keeper as soon as the transfer window opens.Both Antell and young Atkinson might turn out to be decent keepers in time, but its too soon for Antell this season and it would be absolute madness to throw young Atkinson in as his replacement this season.
Two good wins on the trot and well done to Jim Mcintyre and the boys for achieving these results.However, we still have a massive problem to contend with on the goalkeeping front and this issue will make or break our season in my opinion. Someone posted a few days ago that, in terms of full-time clubs in Scotland, we probably have the 2 poorest full-time keepers on our books and I tend to agree with this.It is possible that Calum Antell could return to a rejuvinated back four and take confidence from this and push on to some better form, but I doubt it from what I have seen so far of him. Its more likely that, if he returns to the team, the jitters will start spreading again through the back four and results will deteriorate. He would be a decent back up keeper for us for the rest of the season, but we have to get someone else in as our No.1 or I fear our entire season could go down the tubes. If we cant get young Clark to stay beyond December then JM should make it an absiolute priority to sign a keeper as soon as the transfer window opens.Both Antell and young Atkinson might turn out to be decent keepers in time, but its too soon for Antell this season and it would be absolute madness to throw young Atkinson in as his replacement this season.
This entirely. What a difference having this big , imposing keeper as our last line of defence.

Looks like he could be a good keeper in time but needs to work on his kicks.

I don't want to get too carried away with this keeper as I have only seen him once. He done a full bloodied punch on the ball to clear in the first half and I thought "that will do me fine ". As McWatt says, seeing your keeper decisive /aggressive sends the right signals and inspires the rest of the defence Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

You can tell how exciting a match is by the reaction of the fans!!!

Everyone was staring up at the sky in the second half as thousands of geese made their way home to roost on the Solway. There were flock after flock as far as the eyes could sea. Wonder if anyone got a photo of them?

A bit too cryptic!

Last season was last season.

Move on.

I have trust in this board and manager.

Who knows what Johnston would have done in a much more challenging league.

A bit too cryptic!

Move on.

A bit too cryptic!

Move on.

Got u the 2nd time Macwatt!!!!! :P

Anyone know if the Scottish cup goals are on sportscene tonight ?

If they are I would expect it to be just the goals from a few select games. It's primary focus will be the SPL games.

If they are I would expect it to be just the goals from a few select games. It's primary focus will be the SPL games.

Usually a cup special sportscene but maybe that just when the big boys are about. We will see. Goals usually go on bbc website on Monday

Just heard that our under 19's drew one all with Celtic today and Celtic equalised late on.

They did. The 19's played very well, especially considering they had a young side out with Jake Pickard and Matthew McCarthy suspended and Luke Hammond and Nick Cassidy out injured. Connor Graham was carried off injured in the second half too. Two of the subs were from the 17's squad (Liam Crosbie and Ali Berry). They did have Pat Slattery guesting in the middle of midfield though which helped provide a bit of experience and the centre half pairing of Scott Hooper and Craig Neil were solid.

To be fair it appeared largely to be Celtic's 17's squad but there were a couple of eyecatching players in there.

Pointless hypothetical are things such as who is better Steven Dobbie, or Jim Patterson, Pele or Messi etc.* Players playing in vastly different circumstances in a different era.

Comparing last season to this, when the squad is largely the same is a pretty fair benchmark.

Although I agree it is perhaps time to "move on" with regard to the fact that Messrs. Johnston, Clark and Robinson have moved on, this notion that we should just forget last season ever happened is quite frankly ridiculous, and the frequent regularity this notion is suggested is starting to get extremely irritating.

* The answer is Dobbie and Messi.

Pointing out the futility of people speculating about what could have been if last season's management and squad were still in place in no way infers that we should forget what the team achieved last season. We should rightly be proud of it and keep reminding people of what we did achieve last season.

I think Kev the American has to be main point of our midfield. He oozes class and has a great range of passes but knows when to keep it simple. Really missed him in that infamous game against Cowdenbeath and it is of no surprise we are doing a lot better when he is in the team. It was almost as important as bringing back the pairing of Higgins and Durnan.

I think Kev the American has to be main point of our midfield. He oozes class and has a great range of passes but knows when to keep it simple. Really missed him in that infamous game against Cowdenbeath and it is of no surprise we are doing a lot better when he is in the team. It was almost as important as bringing back the pairing of Higgins and Durnan.

I was questioning whether he had been told to cut down on his long range passes on Saturday. His vision is great and some of the passes are beyond Championship level. I noticed they were few and far between on Saturday though. I hope it was more to do with the weather and not that JM has told him to keep it simple. I would love to see a team built around this guy but that's not really possible at this moment in time.